Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2021, 07:44 AM

815 posts, read 982,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I hadn't given much thought of the holiday. All I was thinking of was getting out of the cold! I'll make sure to stay alert.
I understand. I think my aversion to cold weather would be stronger than my avoidance of traveling during peak holiday times.

I noticed you posted at 3:00 am. When do you sleep? I know you don't like to drive at night, so do you normally get a super early start in the morning?

Just curious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2021, 04:33 PM

7,049 posts, read 6,302,333 times
I woke up off and on. Started out about 8:00.

In the meantime, I got totally mixed up on the turnpike. Ended up on I35 heading towards Dallas, which isn't much better. So I'm either going to head back towards Ok city, Yikes, and try to find I10 or go from Dallas to I40. I'll keep researching. I'm still in Oklahoma but want badly to get out of it. I'd appreciate any and all suggestions.

I think I'd rather take I10 but I want nothing to do with Oklahoma city.

Oh, and when I stopped for gas, neither the pumps nor the inside would accept my card. Thankfully I have cash. But the folks here felt sorry for me and are letting me stay the night.

I did call the bank and I have plenty in there. And no other places had a problem so they said it had to be this station.

Last edited by meo92953; 11-23-2021 at 04:45 PM..

Old 11-23-2021, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Good luck & safe travels on the rest of your road trip to AZ.

From KC, you can take I-35 to Wichita, then head west on US highway 400, then southwest to Tucumcari, NM on US Highway 54. It makes a giant diagonal arc through southwestern KS, the OK panhandle and the northeast part of New Mexico. It avoids the drive down to Oklahoma City along I-35, and is a much shorter route. Once you get to Tucumcari, there are many easy options to head west to Quartzite.
I do wish I'd read this before I started out but I already was close to Oklahoma city.. I'm now on I-35, still about an hour+ from Dallas. I'd rather not go back the way I came as there was major, major road repair. But, if you think that would be better, please let me know.

I think I saw a sign for Tucumcari but not sure.

Old 11-23-2021, 06:18 PM

I'm thinking I'll probably go to Wichita falls to avoid Dallas then figure out where to go from there. At least I'll be heading in the right direction.

If nothing else, I'll have a lot of experience from all this.

Old 11-23-2021, 09:51 PM

Almost time for sleep but I've been studying the map and realized that I follow 70 to get to Wichita falls and if I stay on 70 I'll get to the places I wanted to go to in New Mexico. Coincidence? I think not. And who knows if I would have gone to them in my haste to get to Quartzsite.

Hmmm, maybe this will turn out to be a good thing.

Old 11-24-2021, 06:40 AM

I hope you got a good nights rest and are WARM. It was 33 degrees here in north Florida this morning!

Safe travels today. Holiday traffic is predicted to be heavy.

Old 11-24-2021, 02:57 PM

Update. The traffic wasn't bad today except in Wichita falls. I decided to go to Lubbock and into New Mexico from there. Except, there weren't signs that 82 turned and I ended up on 277. I found a rest area, where I can stay, and the attendant told me how I missed it. But I'm not that far from Abilene and there's a rest stop not far from that.

I'll miss the places I was going to see, but I wonder if they are not closed for the season. I'll call tomorrow and see.

My GPS tried to get me on the right path but the voice was too low and I didn't hear her. I found a couple of.places where I had to backtrack because the signs weren't clear.

But I did meet some good people along the way.

I'm settled for the day. One thing Texas has going for it is that people had no problem with my spending the night. No signs anywhere that restricted it.

Old 11-24-2021, 03:30 PM

How much longer/farther until you get to a place where you will stay awhile?

Old 11-24-2021, 05:54 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,650,514 times
I used to see threads where many folks snowbird in south Texas. Temps were pretty good. Some folks bought RV lots at a good price.

Travel Safely...

Old 11-25-2021, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybygolly View Post
How much longer/farther until you get to a place where you will stay awhile?
Quartzsite is still over 1000miles. That's my end goal. I'll be going to Sierra Vista and check on my storage unit and have my favorite mechanic check out the car to ensure it's still in top top shape. That's the only place I found there that I totally trust and they do a road trip check. May as well get the oil changed too, a little early but worth it to me.

Last time I was in Sierra Vista the Walmart there was fine with people staying overnight so will spend at least one night there.

I'm going to check into moving my storage to Quartzsite. It depends on the cost and if I can find someone to move me. Or I may just donate a lot and ship things to the farm. I'm not sure. I've got the smallest unit they had because I didn't keep that much but what I did keep was for a reason. I may even find the sweatshirts I've been missing.

So how long till I stay put for awile? Probably four days. I've been averaging 250-300 a day. Oklahoma set me back because I kept getting lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing