Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2023, 06:22 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,898,296 times

Advertisements

I too am so sorry for the reaction you got from that woman about your son. Don't worry about ignorant people, meo. Some people live in a vacuum (their own little world) and it creates a lag in their perception and their acceptance of things that are challenging. Concentrate on those around you who do understand. As you probably know, there are a lot of nomads who have, or have relatives who have challenging issues, and they are the ones who understand. You're around good people with HOWA and other groups of people. A lot of us understand completely.

It's always a tossup as to who and what we tell personal business to. I've been burned too, many times, and I'm certain others here have as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2023, 09:24 AM

7,049 posts, read 6,302,333 times
The kind words helped a lot. Yess, Karen, I did and am, cuddling a lot with Marigold. She helps me.

When my son was diagnosed 25+ years ago, I could only find a couple of books about it. Then I found a support group through NAMI and finally got some answers..

This is probably why I was so close to my son.. I didn't hover but kept close. When he didn't take his meds it was difficult but that's the nature of the illness.

Back then it wasn't something you talked much about but when I did, I found out quickly who my real friends were. But I thought that people were more understanding in today's world. Apparently there are still some who think it's a stigma or contagious somehow.

I'm probably going to move my camp somewhere else, haven't decided yet. I'm going to stay at the LTVA because I save so much money while I'm here, but there is a lot of open areas here where I can camp. I just don't like moving often so I will see.

Old 02-22-2023, 06:34 PM

2,277 posts, read 1,673,336 times
Did you decide to move spots, Meo? Hope you and Marigold are doing well.

Old 02-26-2023, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
Did you decide to move spots, Meo? Hope you and Marigold are doing well.
No, I decided to stay here. Moving, taking down and setting up the tents is a lot. The woman I was referring to did not come back after the van build. Not sure where she went.
We've had bad weather, as has everyone, so cold, windy and rain.

Today looks to be better and I hope to get some cleaning done. Although my tents, surprisingly held up, there is dust everywhere.

Marigold hates being cooped up and has voiced her complaints. This morning she was out for a little while and if the sunshine continues I'll let her out more. She's sleeping right now, taking a cat nap

This weather has been so unusual for all of us. Global warming? I don't know. It's hard for me to complain though. Minnesota and the other Midwest states have been hit with frigid cold and lots of snow.

Old 02-27-2023, 09:09 AM

17,639 posts, read 22,650,514 times
I'm happy you & Marigold are in good health.

The winter here had been pretty mild. Now, today it's snowing. They say we might get 8-12 inches, & maybe more snow for the next week.
You just never know what Mother Nature, has planned.

Stay Safe & Healthy.

Old 02-27-2023, 10:11 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,898,296 times
Meo, you and others sure have had to deal with difficult weather in the desert this year. Rather unusual. It's usually very cold at night, but not so rainy. Must be hard on Marigold. Stay safe!

Old 03-14-2023, 03:43 AM

451 posts, read 424,235 times
How's it going Meo? Are people starting to head out? Everything OK and getting excited about the skeeters back in land of 10,000?
Have a great day!!

Old 03-26-2023, 03:50 PM

Sorry, haven't been checking lately. There's still a lot of people here. I plan on leaving after April 3rd, once my check hits the bank.
The wind has been really bad. I just don't want to be out in it. I think I will need to have knee replacement surgery when I get back. By fixing the arteries in my leg, I finally had feeling in that leg and it's painful. I did have shots before I left but they didn't last.
So between the wind and my knee, it has not been pleasant.
I think next year I will skip the LTVA and just boondock on BLM land. I do want to get the New Mexico state pass, $250 I think and tour the state, but not with this knee situation. The kids I was traveling with are there now but staying on BLM land. They accepted a position in Minnesota for a few months so I'll see them after I get back. It's not far from where I stay.

I'm getting tired of Quartzsite. Mainly because of the weather.

I know it's been crazy everywhere this year and very unusual. I feel for the folks who had the tornadoes. That was horrifying. So I don't want to complain too much.

I think I will also wait to look into buying land this year. I want to wait until I find out what can be done with my knee. I will stop and see the people I met at the van build last spring before starting home.

Old 03-27-2023, 03:30 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,083,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Sorry, haven't been checking lately. There's still a lot of people here. I plan on leaving after April 3rd, once my check hits the bank.
The wind has been really bad. I just don't want to be out in it. I think I will need to have knee replacement surgery when I get back. By fixing the arteries in my leg, I finally had feeling in that leg and it's painful. I did have shots before I left but they didn't last.
So between the wind and my knee, it has not been pleasant.
I think next year I will skip the LTVA and just boondock on BLM land. I do want to get the New Mexico state pass, $250 I think and tour the state, but not with this knee situation. The kids I was traveling with are there now but staying on BLM land. They accepted a position in Minnesota for a few months so I'll see them after I get back. It's not far from where I stay.

I'm getting tired of Quartzsite. Mainly because of the weather.

I know it's been crazy everywhere this year and very unusual. I feel for the folks who had the tornadoes. That was horrifying. So I don't want to complain too much.

I think I will also wait to look into buying land this year. I want to wait until I find out what can be done with my knee. I will stop and see the people I met at the van build last spring before starting home.
Oh, Meo, so sorry to hear about your knee. I had two TKRs in 2020, first in February and the second in July (was supposed to be May but got postponed due to COVID). Both went fine -- lots of pain for a while, but the narcotics they prescribed did absolutely nothing so I just went off them and lived through the pain -- that wasn't as hard as it sounds, since I knew (especially after the 2nd one) that the pain would lessen every day. Trying to sleep was the worst.

Anyway, by the end of 2020 you would never be able to tell that I had anything wrong with either knee. And now, in 2023, even more so. I waited too long for the surgery!

Here's hoping yours goes very well too, if you end up needing it.

How is Marigold?

Old 03-30-2023, 10:59 AM

Thanks for the info, Karen. The doctors got mad at me for not wanting to take drugs but I'll take the pain because I just hate narcotics.

Marigold was mad at me all day yesterday because there 70 mph winds and she couldn't stay out. Today I left the door open while I made coffee and she came out and went right back in. Aand the wind didn't get bad until just a while ago. So don't know how she's going to react later.

Watching weather reports pretty closely and today and possibly tomorrow are still going to be bad but then it's supposed to get better.

I sure hope so because I have a lot to do before I leave. Garbage disposal, lots of laundry and getting ready to pack things up. My shower tent got pretty beat up in the wind but amazingly the hiking tent is holding up well. It was a bit pricey but well worth it.

I haven't put an actual timeline on leaving. It will be after the third but after that it just depends on the wind. One poor soul posted on Facebook that he keeps trying to leave but can't because of the wind. No sense driving white knuckled if you don't have to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing