Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2021, 09:06 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,059,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I was a bad mom today. I'm slowly but surely emptying out my car and didn't realize Marigold had snuck out. I came in for a break and heard meowing. I thought it was one of the barn cats and was ignoring it. Then I realized I am quite far away from the pole barn and those cats usually wouldn't be meowing so close to the trailer. So I got up and Marigold raced in and went straight to her food dish. Poor girl acted like she hadn't eaten in a week. Her reality is quite different.

While cleaning the car I found a lot of things I'd been looking for; Dr. Bonners soap, a wash pan, a mesh laundry bag, assorted hooks for hanging things. Oh well, nothing I won't use later but it did show me I have to come up with a better system. I knew that but now I can prioritize the important items and develop something that works better.

When my nephew was building my platform he didn't take into consideration the space I was dedicating to Marigolds needs, thus he made openings that weren't readily accessible from her side. I'm probably going to have to remove that build and start over. Live and learn.
When traveling, I could never remember where I packed small things. “Traveling” is multi day cycling or kayak trips.

My solution was simple. I generally carry a small, wire-bound notebook for each trip. In the front cover, I draw a simple diagram for the vehicle that’ll be used. Each small “pack” has a specific location and the contents of each pack is listed. Even as I travel, everything goes back in that pack in that specific location.

Every.Single.Time.

Within a few days, my brain has adapted and it becomes second nature. Need a small piece of duct tape? It’s in a blue, waterproof bag, front of the kayak, right side. A little harder to access but, that’s where repair items go. They’re rarely used and don’t need to be close by. Everyday clothing is where I can get to it at the end of the day. Rain gear, close by.

Works for me! Good luck with your next system!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2021, 11:37 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
When traveling, I could never remember where I packed small things. “Traveling” is multi day cycling or kayak trips.

My solution was simple. I generally carry a small, wire-bound notebook for each trip. In the front cover, I draw a simple diagram for the vehicle that’ll be used. Each small “pack” has a specific location and the contents of each pack is listed. Even as I travel, everything goes back in that pack in that specific location.

Every.Single.Time.

Within a few days, my brain has adapted and it becomes second nature. Need a small piece of duct tape? It’s in a blue, waterproof bag, front of the kayak, right side. A little harder to access but, that’s where repair items go. They’re rarely used and don’t need to be close by. Everyday clothing is where I can get to it at the end of the day. Rain gear, close by.

Works for me! Good luck with your next system!
That is a great idea. It makes sense. That is something I need to start doing.

Also, I started putting together a checklist for when I pull the 5th wheel. However, I never completed. It would be nice when packing up to head out. Remember things like shutting off the propane. All hoses stowed. All windows closed. Vents closed. Pugged into the pickup. Lights checked. Tires good.

Old 05-09-2021, 03:09 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,059,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
That is a great idea. It makes sense. That is something I need to start doing.

Also, I started putting together a checklist for when I pull the 5th wheel. However, I never completed. It would be nice when packing up to head out. Remember things like shutting off the propane. All hoses stowed. All windows closed. Vents closed. Pugged into the pickup. Lights checked. Tires good.
And, every time you stop for any reason, make a lap around the entire rig. A quick inspection will help spot issues before they become failures.

Old 05-09-2021, 05:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
And, every time you stop for any reason, make a lap around the entire rig. A quick inspection will help spot issues before they become failures.
Carry an IR temperature gun and check tire, brake, and bearing temps. I recently found a consistently warmer tire (15-20f). Turned out to be a faulty valve core (on a new tire). Saved me a late night tire repair out in the boonies.

Old 05-09-2021, 07:54 PM

7,040 posts, read 6,289,652 times
I'm trying to figure out how to put a cargo carrier on the top of the car. There are things that I would like to put outside the car while traveling. The shower tent, camp chair, cold weather clothing, things I don't use often, etc. But, I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

My sister is donating a six drawer cloth chest which should fit nicely in the Cube and that will fix a lot of the problem. It's small, obviously, but can contain a lot of my needs. Then I also realized if I had put the two plastic cubes containing my clothes in the driver's seat, that would have freed up space.

I have 5 &1/2 months before I plan to leave and I'm sure that between all the thinkers here, we'll come up with solutions. I love the Cube and would rather find storage solutions than get something else. At least for another year.

One thing I do know, I will be leaving a lot of things I didn't use while traveling but will use here. Why I thought I needed a summer pajama wardrobe is beyond me. That stays here, where I will use them. The desert gets cold at night and I actually used warm clothing for sleeping. In Minnesota you need summer pajamas. That already gets rid of a lot.

The more I travel, the more I will learn.

Old 05-09-2021, 10:00 PM

Look for a Yakima / similar roof rack with some options to extend sideways for an awning or hold your shower stall.
Yakima has many attachment options for different items / carriers / bikes / kayaks... stuff you can adapt for your own needs.

Find a roof carrier that is quite low profile / tapered, weather proof and very easy to manage (latch and open)
Garage sales are ideal places to find these. I bought (2) at fundraising garage sales for youth mission trips.

Use magnetic stips to modifiy a rear hatch tent / netting for shade / protection / outdoor kitchen and wash basin.

I have installed snaps on tarps and roof rack rails to make a $10 awning.

Old 05-10-2021, 08:14 AM

I'm going to try find these. I would like to see how they work. I'm not sure I'll be able to find them at a yard sale. I hope so.

My main concern is the wind, not only in Arizona but there were a lot of windy places I traveled through. I would like to know, first hand, how they stand up. Some things I've bought have proven to be exceptional and worth paying full price. I am going to order the shower tent you recommended. Thanks for that.

This has been a terrible week weather-wise in Minnesota. So cold! But it's supposed to warm up by Friday. I sure hope so. It's hard to get motivated when it's cold.

I'm trying not to miss A and to keep in mind how hot it is there now but it's tough when it's so cold here. And it's a moist cold, unlike Arizona's dry heat. A little play on words, sorry, I couldn't resist.

Old 05-10-2021, 08:56 AM

I always thought AZ hould run heat tubes under their highways and roofs and send them to MN in a pipeline that takes 6 months to arrive! MN could send the temp modules back to AZ full of COLD! (to arrive 6 months later)

MN can be chilly, even in May, but store that cool memory for hot summer days.
Have some tea or Hot Cocoa and be glad the blizzards are over (I hope)...

You want a very secure roof rack and storage box that is aerodynamic too. (I was a trucker in WY...)

Old 05-10-2021, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I always thought AZ hould run heat tubes under their highways and roofs and send them to MN in a pipeline that takes 6 months to arrive! MN could send the temp modules back to AZ full of COLD! (to arrive 6 months later)

MN can be chilly, even in May, but store that cool memory for hot summer days.
Have some tea or Hot Cocoa and be glad the blizzards are over (I hope)...

You want a very secure roof rack and storage box that is aerodynamic too. (I was a trucker in WY...)
It doesn't often get real hot here and where I'm situated, the lake breezes cool you off. Don't hold me too that though.

Um, a pipeline like that would be nice but I'm not going to hold my breath.

My Michigan brother is coming here in July. He recently bought a rv and knows a lot more than I do. I'm going to wait for his advice on the roof rack. Gads, he's smart. About so many things. For a kid who started out at 15 working as a car mechanic after school and progressing to financial management, which is where he's retiring from, he amazes me. Brilliant guy.

Old 05-10-2021, 08:06 PM

4,604 posts, read 2,992,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Carry an IR temperature gun and check tire, brake, and bearing temps. I recently found a consistently warmer tire (15-20f). Turned out to be a faulty valve core (on a new tire). Saved me a late night tire repair out in the boonies.

Wow, that's surprising... why did a bad valve make the tire hotter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing