Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2021, 01:35 PM

148 posts, read 114,450 times

Advertisements

Meo, it sounds like it was a great time to stop and relax. I hope you enjoy your chicken dinner tonight.

I just love reading about your adventures. You are an inspiration! Thank you for keeping this thread current.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 05:22 PM

7,049 posts, read 6,302,333 times
So glad I stopped when I did. The wind has been horrible today.

This has been one of the busiest, noisy truck stops I've been at. It may be hard to sleep tonight. Still glad I don't have to drive in this wind though. Hopefully it will be better tomorrow.

Old 04-26-2021, 06:19 PM

Is there a State park or RV place nearby where you can just enjoy yourself tomorrow? It seems like you are making pretty fast progress, so maybe you could treat yourself and get some rest at the same time.

Old 04-27-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katyroadpink View Post
Is there a State park or RV place nearby where you can just enjoy yourself tomorrow? It seems like you are making pretty fast progress, so maybe you could treat yourself and get some rest at the same time.
Katy, I didn't see your message in time and I stopped at another Love's near Davenport, I A. Love Love's.

The wind was really tiring me out.

I decided to go home by way of Sioux Falls to Wahpaton, ND, which is actually fairly close to Underwood, avoiding Minneapolis. I'm still quite a ways away.

I have a dilemma when I get home though.

My sister had bought an older travel trailer in North Dakota when the work there collapsed and put it on her pat of the farm. The plan was for it to be moved to my brother's part, which is just across the field.

She's now thinking that she could just leave it where it is, which would be okay logistically OR, I could just stay in the basement apartment. The apartment is on a downhill slope and I would have to use the golf cart to get up the hill. More hassle than it's worth as far as I'm concerned.

The problem is that she feels she needs to know every aspect of my business and I've grown too much for that to happen. Sometimes it really sucks to be the youngest!

I wish she'd just left the original plan be. I hate the thought of hurting her feelings but I'm not the same person I was when I left. I don't think she's going to adjust well to.my new independence.

I've got some time to figure it out, still, wish she'd recognize the change in my lifestyle. I've lost twenty pounds on this journey because I eat when I'm hungry, not because it's 6pm and you're supposed to eat then. Often I would just have fruit in the morning and a sandwich in the evening.

Sometimes I would wake up in the middle of the night and read until I was tired again. I also usually woke up with the sun. I didn't always go to sleep when the sun went down, sometimes I would stay up and read.

So much to think about in the coming days.

Old 04-27-2021, 01:01 PM

The internet access has been going in and out. This is the first time that's happened with my Verizon Mi-Fi. So you may have to bear with me if I don't post or respond today.I'I've been spoiled up to now.

Old 04-27-2021, 02:44 PM

Meo, I’m glad you made it safely to your next stop and I’m relieved that you found away around Minneapolis.

I have a big sister, too, and she has never outgrown trying to be the boss of me! I was amused when I was playing Animal Crossing last year, to find that one of the character types is a “Big Sister” personality. I believe that the big sisters in real life think they are still trying to protect you, although to someone else it might look like control or manipulation.

I know you want to be tactful to your sister, so could you just tell her that you thought it over and that you like her original plan the best? Your reasons are very valid. You could also let her know how happy you are about the changes you made on this trip. Tell her she doesn’t have to worry about you so much anymore because you have grown so much and become very resilient. If it seems like an awkward conversation, then send her a chatty letter. Who doesn’t love getting a letter!

Also, congratulations on your weight loss. That is amazing, especially considering how hungry you have sometimes made me when you are talking about road food. Personally, I am an Arby’s addict and there aren’t any in my city, so if you are forced to eat at one, I’d appreciate it if you would get a large Jamocha shake, curly fries and a Rueben sandwich and then tell us all about it!

Safe travels and thanks again for bringing us along for the ride.

Old 04-27-2021, 05:09 PM

Thanks, Katy. I will explain to my sister why it would be best for me to stay in the travel trailer, to see it's something I would be interested in pursuing. She has a hard time giving up control. I want to.make sure I'm diplomatic and not confrontational.

The weight loss surprised me. I didn't realize how much I'd lost until I weighed myself at my brothers. It wasn't intentional but a person tends to be more active when you boondock. Neighbors are further away as are bathrooms. It's easier to eat healthy, I think. Plus, with the way we are all being so careful, I didn't get involved in group potlucks.

I may speed up my traveling a bit. I'm anxious to get my car better organized, although hopefully I'll find a larger vehicle before fall. I may not as I was watching videos that say the cost of minivans and SUV 's is rising. I may just have to wait until the demand goes down.

I do love my car and there are a lot of things I can remove that I haven't even used. This will create more space. I also want to have my nephew redo some of the work he did. Maybe have slats for the bed instead of solid wood and make it shorter. I'm only 5'5" and don't need it to be the full length of the car. That would allow for a set of plastic drawers.

I've learned a lot from other travelers, things that have worked for them and things that haven't. Things you can only learn from listening and experience. I'm very grateful for everything I've been taught.

Last edited by meo92953; 04-27-2021 at 05:39 PM..

Old 04-28-2021, 08:03 AM

Meo, it will be interesting to hear which things you’ve found useful and which don’t make the cut. Do you plan to add or upgrade anything?

Safe travels today!

Old 04-28-2021, 12:10 PM

I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet - except, a shower tent is high on the list, as well as a roof top carrier. There are things you need,a heavier jacket, sweat shirts basically warm clothing for winter months, but you don't need for warmer months. I've got to figure out a different bed situation. Mine wasn't always that comfortable, thus working with my nephew on that.

I'm sure as the summer progresses I'll come up up with ideas.

The one thing I hadn't been prepared for was the shortage of camping supplies at the Walmart in Parker. I never did find a shower tent.

I will spend some time studying other people's builds on utube and see what to incorporate and their organization methods. It's going to be a lot easier ordering things because I have time to wait for them. Also, by fall hopefully the virus will be more in check and we can be around people more.

I was pretty paranoid about getting sick and tended to stay away from people. I had looked forward to meeting other women travelers. Hopefully that can happen this next year.

I've got a lot to think about in the coming months.

Old 04-28-2021, 02:15 PM

Today I'm a ways from Des Moines, at the usual loves. Tomorrow I plan on Sioux City, Friday, Sioux Falls and Saturday, home. I want a glass of Merlot, a hot shower and hugs from my family.

I never drink when I'm on the road, just as I don't take allergy medicine. I want nothing impairing my ability to be alert and able to drive defensively. But I do enjoy an occasional glass of wine when I can totally relax.

Then, shortly after I get home, if it's warm enough, I want to go fishing. The truth is, I'm not a good fisher person. I usually snag a bunch of weeds, rather than fish. BUT, I did catch a big Northern last time I fished, so there's hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing