Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2021, 06:23 AM

2,106 posts, read 3,013,928 times

Advertisements

We love reading about your adventures.
I'm sure some of us wish we could take off and explore if even for a weekend.
I know I would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2021, 06:37 AM

602 posts, read 314,140 times
Tom and Judy Love

https://www.trucker.com/fuel/article...249/love-story

https://www.forbes.com/profile/tom-j...h=31b5bbed4930

Old 04-17-2021, 08:44 AM

7,049 posts, read 6,302,333 times
Mr. B, you are amazing! So glad you share the articles you find.

Okay, I'll keep sharing my journey. Thanks to those who responded, it was getting lonely out here.

Update (so far) on the mirror. Had called O'Reilly's and they said to come in. When I got there with my mirror, there was nothing to replace it. The manager was there and he said epoxy should hold it so I ended up with Gorilla Glue epoxy.

This is some strong stuff. After mixing it, I had to hold the plastic nut in place - on the roof - for five minutes, then they'd given me a piece of tape to put over it and it has to cure for 24 hours. Fingers crossed that it will work.

I headed back to the Love's I'd stayed at, explained the situation and they said I could stay overnight again. This way, if it doesn't work I can go back to O'Reilly's and try figure out something else. I rely on that rear view mirror a lot.

Gotta love these Love's.

I didn't sleep much last night and in my late night wondering, I realized that truckers must rely on their side view mirrors, so it can be done. Hopefully this will work though.

Now, it is cloudy and dreary here today and the Jackery is at 62 percent so if there isn't any sun, I may lose my power until it comes out. I still have my phone to use if I need it though I usually use my kindle.

I charge the Jackery with solar or/and when I drive. Obviously I'm not going to be driving for awhile so hoping the sun comes out at some point.

Old 04-17-2021, 02:49 PM

2,277 posts, read 1,673,336 times
Meo, good luck with your mirror!

I am really enjoying the story of your journey. DH and I had a campervan way back in the 1970s and we had a blast driving and camping all over the East coast from Maine to the FL Keys.

Everyone should have the chance to just “ramble” and I am so happy your dream to do so has come true. Also, how wonderful that you have a lovely spot on a farm with family in MN to enjoy this summer.

Happy traveling and keep up the enjoyable posts on your insights.

Last edited by shamrock4; 04-17-2021 at 04:16 PM..

Old 04-17-2021, 06:45 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,650,514 times
Meo, i read your posts each time you put them up. They are interesting. Maybe one of these wide mirrors will fit on your Cube:
https://www.google.com/search?q=wide...4dUDCAo&uact=5
Drive Safely.
Stay in Good Health.

Old 04-17-2021, 08:39 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,063,422 times
So many reminders in this thread. My parents would always drive from AL to AZ during the winter and most of their time was spent in Big Bend TX abd Quartzite for the gem and mineral shows. They always camped on BLM land.

Once my mom’s dementia got too much for my father, he’d fly to PHX and he & I would drive over to Quartzite for a few days for the shows. At first, we’d stay 3-4 days and walk every inch, twice. As age caught up with him, the stays grew shorter.

There was the one time I had to travel for business so he flew in and borrowed my wife’s car for the trip to Quartzite. He wasn’t feeling well so he drove back to our neighborhood and stopped at an urgent care place thinking he had a sinus infection.

Nah, they sent him to the location hospital’s CCU and I cut my trip short to get home. After a few days there, he was medivac’d to UAB in Birmingham where his local cardiologist could care for him. . I flew with him not knowing if he’d survive the flight. I spent the next five days in the hospital with him, working remotely using my computer and a dial-up modem. Lol Good times, we both survived.

The last time we went to Quartzite, he was ready to go back to our house in Phoenix after one day. When I put him on a plane to return home back in late Jan of 2010, I knew I’d never see him alive again. He passed about two weeks later, fully content with his life, his wife and his kids.

Glad to see you’re living life, un-afraid. We just moved to AL a few weeks ago and you’re right - southern hospitality is alive and well! Be safe!

Old 04-17-2021, 09:44 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,805,729 times
Meo, I’ve settled down from Van life so haven’t paid as much attention to this page but I’m glad to see you got out on the road and that you’re enjoying yourself. If you manage to get over to southern Illinois then come see me sometime. And yes, keep writing...you’re feeding fantasies for some and memories for others.

Old 04-18-2021, 04:33 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,425,852 times
yes I am enjoying and following along with your posts.
And regarding the mirror- don't try to be like the truckers! I hope the fix worked on your mirror. I was trying to picture using both sideview mirrors and I am sure it's doable but need some practice------but does not sound ideal.
Stay safe.

Old 04-18-2021, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
So many reminders in this thread. My parents would always drive from AL to AZ during the winter and most of their time was spent in Big Bend TX abd Quartzite for the gem and mineral shows. They always camped on BLM land.

Once my mom’s dementia got too much for my father, he’d fly to PHX and he & I would drive over to Quartzite for a few days for the shows. At first, we’d stay 3-4 days and walk every inch, twice. As age caught up with him, the stays grew shorter.

There was the one time I had to travel for business so he flew in and borrowed my wife’s car for the trip to Quartzite. He wasn’t feeling well so he drove back to our neighborhood and stopped at an urgent care place thinking he had a sinus infection.

Nah, they sent him to the location hospital’s CCU and I cut my trip short to get home. After a few days there, he was medivac’d to UAB in Birmingham where his local cardiologist could care for him. . I flew with him not knowing if he’d survive the flight. I spent the next five days in the hospital with him, working remotely using my computer and a dial-up modem. Lol Good times, we both survived.

The last time we went to Quartzite, he was ready to go back to our house in Phoenix after one day. When I put him on a plane to return home back in late Jan of 2010, I knew I’d never see him alive again. He passed about two weeks later, fully content with his life, his wife and his kids.

Glad to see you’re living life, un-afraid. We just moved to AL a few weeks ago and you’re right - southern hospitality is alive and well! Be safe!
What an interesting post.

When I was talking with my brother, discussing why I'm doing this I told him how it had gotten to the point where all I did was sit in my recliner and watch tv, especially in the winter.

I couldn't afford to do anything after paying rent and bills. Now I'm saving money and enjoying life. What a difference!

Hearing about the choices your dad made, yes - he lived life, rather than just existing.

Old 04-18-2021, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
yes I am enjoying and following along with your posts.
And regarding the mirror- don't try to be like the truckers! I hope the fix worked on your mirror. I was trying to picture using both sideview mirrors and I am sure it's doable but need some practice------but does not sound ideal.
Stay safe.
It sort of worked. It's up anyway. I'm going to try find a campground and use some more of the epoxy and do the sides. That should staba!ize it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing