Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2021, 08:42 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I get wildlife in my back yard quite often ... deer (including once a mom with a tiny fawn), wild turkey with a bunch of babies, a mama fox with several babies (I LOVED watching them chase each other around my back yard), even a bear (I've never seen him although some of my neighbors have ... I've only seen his tracks around the perimeter of my house ).

I love them all. They are one of the main reasons I bought the house I did.

Consider investing in a 'Trail camera', Neighbors bought one for their 'retirement' enjoyment... They get some very interesting visitors, so I would guess I have the same zoo wandering around in the dark. Bobcats, bears, cougars, and a lot of coons and possums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2021, 05:23 AM

17,639 posts, read 22,650,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post

Better picture
Beautiful photo... Someone is cutting a lot of grass. The farm must have a riding mower.
I can see some Northern Pike jumping in the lake. Meo, are there any Largemouth Black Bass in your lake? Are there any crappie? What's in the lake beside pike?

When i was a youngster i caught pike & other fish in Northern Wisconsin. Friends had a cabin up north.
I fished some in Lake Michigan. I had several relatives who lived in Milwaukee.

Old 05-31-2021, 10:19 AM

7,049 posts, read 6,302,333 times
The main fish here is Northern. Lots of croppies, but mainly Northern. So good fresh out of the lake.

Yes, there's a riding mower. It would be impossible to keep up if there wasn't one.

When my Grandfather farmed, there was (and still is) 80 acres he took care of. Now, a lot of the land is leased out to other farmers. He did leave a lot of trees on the land though and they are still here. The land in the picture was a huge family garden at one time.

Last edited by meo92953; 05-31-2021 at 10:33 AM..

Old 05-31-2021, 01:10 PM

I stand corrected. I just looked it up and there are: Black Bullhead, Brown Bullhead, Sunfish, Lake Sturgeon, Largemouth Bass, Walleye and Northern Pike in the lakes around here, Otter Tail County, MN

I didn't realize we had so many.

Old 06-01-2021, 05:27 AM

Quote:
I stand corrected. I just looked it up and there are: Black Bullhead, Brown Bullhead, Sunfish, Lake Sturgeon, Largemouth Bass, Walleye and Northern Pike in the lakes around here, Otter Tail County, MN

I didn't realize we had so many.
Thank you, it is indeed a fishing Paradise...

Old 06-01-2021, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Thank you, it is indeed a fishing Paradise...
Yes, it is. I remember going out in the boat with my Grandfather when I was a young girl. So thrilled to be with him, all by myself. There were nine of us so spending time alone with him was pretty special. It seemed to me that I would catch the same Northern every year, and every year it would get off the hook somehow.

Now, I'm sure it wasn't the same fish but my grampa died when I was ten and it was a beautiful memory for me to cling to.

Thank you. By asking about the fishing and my researching it, it brought those beautiful memories back.

Old 06-01-2021, 11:00 PM

More thoughts on my Grandfather. It must have been him who installed in me the love for nature and respect for it. He must have taught me the need for quiet while fishing - although I'm sure I was so in awe of him that it didn't take much for me to learn.

There was a sharpening set-up up, a contraption that looked like a bicycle where he sharpened all his tools and kitchen knifes. I would sit with him while he did his sharpening and we would talk. He was so patient with me.

I hadn't thought of him in years and I am truly grateful, hawk, that you brought him back to mind. I'm at the same lake he taught me to fish in and I love the memories I'm having.

Old 06-02-2021, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Yes, it is. I remember going out in the boat with my Grandfather when I was a young girl. So thrilled to be with him, all by myself. There were nine of us so spending time alone with him was pretty special. It seemed to me that I would catch the same Northern every year, and every year it would get off the hook somehow.

Now, I'm sure it wasn't the same fish but my grampa died when I was ten and it was a beautiful memory for me to cling to.

Thank you. By asking about the fishing and my researching it, it brought those beautiful memories back.
Quote:
More thoughts on my Grandfather. It must have been him who installed in me the love for nature and respect for it. He must have taught me the need for quiet while fishing - although I'm sure I was so in awe of him that it didn't take much for me to learn.

There was a sharpening set-up up, a contraption that looked like a bicycle where he sharpened all his tools and kitchen knifes. I would sit with him while he did his sharpening and we would talk. He was so patient with me.

I hadn't thought of him in years and I am truly grateful, hawk, that you brought him back to mind. I'm at the same lake he taught me to fish in and I love the memories I'm having.
AweSome There are many grampa's & gramma's who are very special in our lives.
My grampa had a small shoe repair shop in Milwaukee. Sometimes, when i was a youngster, he let me sweep out his shop & the front sidewalk. At times he would let me help him in his backyard garden & fruit tree orchard. fun times
Both my gramma's were great cooks & bakers. I loved some of the dishes they made. Fried Chicken, mashed taters & gravy, cornbread or fresh baked bread/ cakes/torts/pies/cheesecakes/ poppy seed bread/ dumplings & potatoes with fried pork chops & applesauce. They were very loving, giving me & my brothers/sisters plenty of hugs & kisses. great memories...
I grew up as an Army brat, traveling/living in different states/forts around our beautiful country & a few foreign countries (Germany, Austria) so i didn't get to spend as much time with them as i would have liked.

Old 06-02-2021, 11:05 AM

What beautiful memories you have. I'm sure you missed your relatives but it must have been an interesting experience to see the different countries.

Old 06-02-2021, 04:19 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,038,174 times
Quote:
What an interesting post.

When I was talking with my brother, discussing why I'm doing this I told him how it had gotten to the point where all I did was sit in my recliner and watch tv, especially in the winter.

I couldn't afford to do anything after paying rent and bills. Now I'm saving money and enjoying life. What a difference!

Hearing about the choices your dad made, yes - he lived life, rather than just existing.
You are certainly giving me a LOT to consider. I have a ways to go before I can retire, but your thread is really making me think about the nomadic life! Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing