Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2022, 09:19 PM

7,046 posts, read 6,298,150 times

Advertisements

I can't believe how beautiful Oregon is! The roads can be tough, going fro Klamath Falls to Grants Pass the road was curvy and there were lots of pullouts to put chains on. I couldn't imagine driving it in the winter but it's still awesome.

I'm going to go ahead and drive to the Redwoods after talking to the camp host. It's only about 20 miles into California and he says it shouldn't be missed.

Also am going to line up campsites. The one I'm in was only $7 per night. I wouldn't mind staying a few days but they are booked up. That may happen with other sites too but I'm going to try. Hopefully I'll find some.

I bet I fall in love with the coast. I've already fallen in love with Oregon. In fact, I'll probably travel back this way in the fall.

Oh, Arizona and Nevada also have a part of my heart and I think I'll probably put Pahrump in my yearly plans. But next spring I'm already planning on going to Texas to the coast there.

But for now I'm just going to enjoy Oregon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2022, 06:22 AM

2,105 posts, read 3,012,558 times
I've always wanted to go to Oregon because I've heard how beautiful it is. I'll probably never make it but
I'm glad you have. Love reading about your adventures. And queen marigold lol.
Happy traveling meo!

Old 04-28-2022, 11:13 AM

On to the next place. I called and asked about open tent camping spots and they said they have plenty. I may have to put up Marigolds tent because the little one I had was destroyed by the wind between Quartzsite and Pahrump. They may not insist but if they do, I'll put it up. It's $25 a night which is fine. The one I'm at is $36 for out of state folks and is a full hook up which is good because there's no sun for solar so am charging the jackery. The $7 I paid was for residents and without hookups.

The ranger stopped by and was not pleased with my $7 payment. I understand but she was rather rude about it.

I'll leave when the jackery is charged or at checkout of 1:00 pm, whichever comes first.

Old 04-28-2022, 11:50 AM

4,609 posts, read 3,003,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I can't believe how beautiful Oregon is! The roads can be tough, going fro Klamath Falls to Grants Pass the road was curvy and there were lots of pullouts to put chains on. I couldn't imagine driving it in the winter but it's still awesome.

I'm going to go ahead and drive to the Redwoods after talking to the camp host. It's only about 20 miles into California and he says it shouldn't be missed.

Also am going to line up campsites. The one I'm in was only $7 per night. I wouldn't mind staying a few days but they are booked up. That may happen with other sites too but I'm going to try. Hopefully I'll find some.

I bet I fall in love with the coast. I've already fallen in love with Oregon. In fact, I'll probably travel back this way in the fall.

Oh, Arizona and Nevada also have a part of my heart and I think I'll probably put Pahrump in my yearly plans. But next spring I'm already planning on going to Texas to the coast there.

Good decision, Meo! You could drive into CA on 199.... be sure to stop along the way
from time to time, for views of the lovely Smith River. And 199 will also take you through redwoods.
Then you can go back into Oregon via 101, along the coast. The southern Oregon coastline is magnificent.

Old 04-29-2022, 12:55 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Quote:

I've always loved Grants Pass. It's a smaller town about 30,000 population. The folks there have always been friendly to us, treated us with respect, & caring about their friends & neighbors. Later in the Spring they have Jet Boat rides on the Rogue River, rafting, kayaking,etc. At certain times there is good salmon & steelhead fishing on the Rogue River.
Have an Amazing Adventure. Welcome to OreGon. There are still a lot of folks looking for Gold in the rivers, creeks, hills, etc.

Old 04-29-2022, 01:46 PM

I've decided to stay two nights at a state park, $20 a night.

I tried to get here yesterday but the highway was closed at the California border because of a multi car accident. We were turned back and the suggestion was to go back to Grants Pass and try some other highway. This would have taken me way out of the way by a hundred miles or so.

Instead I spotted a national forest and boondocked there. Didn't sleep well though. Was too dark and scary, even with a lantern. So today I'm just going to get settled in and relax.n

Tomorrow is when I'll wander down by the ocean

Old 04-29-2022, 07:47 PM

Quote:
I've decided to stay two nights at a state park, $20 a night.

I tried to get here yesterday but the highway was closed at the California border because of a multi car accident. We were turned back and the suggestion was to go back to Grants Pass and try some other highway. This would have taken me way out of the way by a hundred miles or so.

Instead I spotted a national forest and boondocked there. Didn't sleep well though. Was too dark and scary, even with a lantern. So today I'm just going to get settled in and relax.n

Tomorrow is when I'll wander down by the ocean
The state parks are very popular with the locals, with the visitors from other states, with the tourists from other countries. Everyone loves the state parks...

About 20 mile out of Grants Pass on 199, is Selma. A couple miles off 199 is Lake Selmac. Years ago i used to fish for largemouth Bass ther quite often. I released them. There are some big lunkers in the lake.
Nowadays, i think they are charging too much for camping, renting boats, kayaks, etc.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Lake+S...derate&ntref=1

Another year when your exploring you ought to see Crater Lake. It's a favorite for many folks. It's pretty Amazing.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=crater...&wsso=Moderate

Not far from Cave Junction is Oregon Caves & the Tree Houses.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=oregon...&wsso=Moderate

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Orego+...&wsso=Moderate

Many people love riding on the big Jetboats, & the beautiful scenery.https://www.bing.com/search?q=hellga...&wsso=Moderate

In Gold Beach is Jerry's Rogue Jets. He gives rides too.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=jerry%...&wsso=Moderate

Enjoy...

Old 04-29-2022, 08:34 PM

4,609 posts, read 3,003,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
I've always loved Grants Pass. It's a smaller town about 30,000 population. The folks there have always been friendly to us, treated us with respect, & caring about their friends & neighbors. Later in the Spring they have Jet Boat rides on the Rogue River, rafting, kayaking,etc. At certain times there is good salmon & steelhead fishing on the Rogue River.
Have an Amazing Adventure. Welcome to OreGon.

There are still a lot of folks looking for Gold in the rivers, creeks, hills, etc.
The locals say "Orygun," right?

And I found a Gold Beach there... good place to stay... good place to eat.

Last edited by NW4me; 04-29-2022 at 09:39 PM..

Old 04-29-2022, 09:12 PM

It's raining. Not hard but persistent. It's been a long time since I've seen rain.

I think they pronounce it Oregone.

I'm really looking forward to eating some seafood. Amber of Story Chasing was talking about fish and chips and. It made my mouth water..

I'm not sure what's in this town but I'm fairly certain I'll be able to find fish dishes wherever I go along the coast. Hopefully the weather will clear up a bit tomorrow. I did stop at the ocean but not for long. I wanted to secure a spot and put up Marigolds tent. Then. Ii fell asleep for a while and woke up to the rain.

Old 04-29-2022, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
The locals say "Orygun," right?

And I found a Gold Beach there... good place to stay... good place to eat.
Gold Beach is on the coast by the mouth of the Rogue River.
A small town close to Grants Pass is Gold Hill.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=gold+h...&wsso=Moderate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing