Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2022, 09:32 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times

Advertisements

Everyone pretty much pronounces Oregon, the way it sounds to them, I don't know which, is the right way...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2022, 09:58 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
It's raining. Not hard but persistent. It's been a long time since I've seen rain.

I think they pronounce it Oregone.

I'm really looking forward to eating some seafood. Amber of Story Chasing was talking about fish and chips and. It made my mouth water..

I'm not sure what's in this town but I'm fairly certain I'll be able to find fish dishes wherever I go along the coast. Hopefully the weather will clear up a bit tomorrow. I did stop at the ocean but not for long. I wanted to secure a spot and put up Marigolds tent. Then. Ii fell asleep for a while and woke up to the rain.
I remember when i was a young'un living in Milwaukee, WI, on Friday nights most folks went to a bar or pub & had Fish n' Chips for dinner, with some cold beers to wash it down.... I really liked the fish with the dipping sauce/tartar sauce...yum.

It's supposed to rain tomorrow. Sometimes the Meteorologist is right, most of the time, they are wrong.
We used to have a weather man named Jeff Heaton (heat on)...

Old 04-29-2022, 11:44 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
It's raining. Not hard but persistent. It's been a long time since I've seen rain.

I think they pronounce it Oregone.

I'm really looking forward to eating some seafood. Amber of Story Chasing was talking about fish and chips and. It made my mouth water..

I'm not sure what's in this town but I'm fairly certain I'll be able to find fish dishes wherever I go along the coast. Hopefully the weather will clear up a bit tomorrow. I did stop at the ocean but not for long. I wanted to secure a spot and put up Marigolds tent. Then. Ii fell asleep for a while and woke up to the rain.
Oregon is pronounced “Or uh gun” or, at least that’s how I have always pronounced it in Washington state.

Old 04-30-2022, 08:27 AM

7,044 posts, read 6,295,966 times
I'm not sure of the pronunciation. I'll try that one.

Right now it's still raining and chilly, so it's a clean house day, which is desperately needed.

Sure hope the sun comes out. I need to recharge my power stations. I realized that could happen but became blase after all of Arizona and Nevada sunshine.

I slept so well last night. I love the sound of rain on the roof. Glad I opted for an extra day/night . But I do need the sun to come out. Otherwise I'll have to pay the price of a spot with electric. Won't kill me to do that but would rather not have to.

I've been living so cheaply and saving so much, it's hard to part with the money. But this is part of what I've been saving for so I'll go ahead and spend some money.

I crave seafood and even though fish is plentiful in Minnesota, it's not like fish from the sea.

Old 04-30-2022, 08:47 AM

A little story about Marigold. This campground requires leashes and, she hates them. I put hers on and she ran around like a crazy cat until she got out of it. It took her about a minute, maybe less.

She then escaped when I opened the door. Yes, she stayed close but she was still out.

I don't think I'll ever be able to make her wear a harness and that does worry me. I tried telling her she couldn't afford the $400 fine but she just doesn't care.

She's been so free since she came to live with me. I'm just not sure how to deal with this problem.

Old 04-30-2022, 11:18 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Don't let gray skies and rain in Or-E-g'n curtain your solar charging. Collectors operate on overcast days, that's how we survive around here (Rain / clouds (nearly all the time) = Green). Many people have off grid homes.
Oregon (ORE-uh-g'n) or (ORY-gun) like organ with an uh sound in the middle. It doesn't rhyme with “gone”

While on road trips I find 'Stealth' charging opportunities.
Unsuspecting available power outlets
  1. Invertor while driving (With high output alternator)
  2. Outlets in picnic shelters (Parks and campgrounds)
  3. Some cities have available power outlets for maint people and hikers and bicycle campers
  4. Shared elect with a fellow camper (or genset)
  5. Truck stops (Outlets for engine heaters, or on sidewalk for maint personnel)
  6. Farmers Market locations
  7. Libraries
  8. Friendly locals (I meet them at feed stores and lumberyards and cafes)
  9. Fairgrounds
  10. Bus Stations and airports.
  11. Laundromats

12. You could explain to a business owner (or police station) what your need is, and give them $5 to allow your Jackery to be plugged in (and secure) all day.
Weather predictions?

I find Oregon / WA coastal areas to be very accurate on weather. Just yesterday working outside with neighbor and it started to rain. I exclaimed, "Hey, that's not supposed to start until 6pm" Neighbor said... "It's 5:58pm, guess that's close enough".

For food on Oregon coast... be very careful to ask true locals. We have found great seafood in local bars (It is often imported and prepared by Alaskan fishermen or cooks who are wintering in Oregon / WA). You can buy your own seafood fresh off the docks (that's a good source). And there are some really amazing chowders. (Not Moe's, for me). I like a smoked Salmon Chowder, but make it myself, tho we have a couple places in the Columbia Gorge that can make a decent batch. Our guests usually get Fresh blueberries or wild berries + homemade Ice Cream + Fresh Salmon or steelhead (in season). The large chest freezer is still 1/2 full of that stuff. We've been offering a free international guest home for over 30 yrs. It is a nice experience for all, and we enjoy hosting and being a guest as well, many times / yr.

Old 04-30-2022, 04:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
ps. on power outlets..
Carry some adapters
  1. AC outlet that will screw into a light bulb socket (Handy when you find an outdoor light glowing) You might need a grounded plug adapter too, as these adapters often only have (2) blades, not a ground pin.
  2. Small extension cord (to get from light socket down to countertop or ground level) So you don't have to hold Jackery up to the light socket for several hours
  3. Outlet splitter (3:1) short (whip) cord (Home Depot / Harbor Freight) or 3:1 at outlet (Dollar tree / thrift store)
  4. There are also some handy 6x outlets also with 6x USB included. (Plug into std duplex outlet)

Be careful with some outlets in camping bathroom, as they may only be rated for a few amps (to avoid use of hairdryers and other power hogs).

Old 05-01-2022, 06:45 PM

What I decided to do for right now is to go ahead and pay the extra for electricity. Just for tonight to get everything charged. Still cheaper than a motel room and gives me peace of mind.

I went to Gold Beach but the place I wanted to go to, Indian Creek Cafe was closed and is not open until Tuesday. I checked on prices for other places and, WOW, are they high.

Ended up coming back to Brookings and got a site with electric.

Tomorrow, as long as I've already seen Gold Beach, I'll go to Coos Bay and check that out.

I spent a lot today. Dollar store, $49, campsite $38 and Fred Meyers, $22. I stocked up on treats for Marigold and replenished food and water. Extravagance was Sushi, a salad and some wine at Fred Meyers, and an avocado to put on a sandwich tomorrow.

I just tell myself, This may be a once in a lifetime thing and that's okay.

Old 05-01-2022, 09:41 PM

Know what I miss the most? Not being able to share with family because of the time difference. I've done whatever it is I've done and want to share but they're two hours ahead so do not want to talk. All they want is bed.

Frustrating.

Oh well, I just have to keep the time difference in mind.

Old 05-02-2022, 04:27 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,439,526 times
Stealth's pronunciation of Oregon is correct. No one says "gone" at the end.

You have to see Bandon, it's a classic small beach town. Bullards Beach state park is right outside of town & on the beach. You can rent a yurt, or tent camp. There are showers in the campground. I love Bandon!

You really need to try some Tillamook marionberry ice cream. So good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing