Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2022, 04:17 PM

7,044 posts, read 6,295,966 times

Advertisements

Yes.
The caravans we're started by HOWA, Homes on Wheels Alliance. There are at least four I believe, the Women's caravan, the Men's caravan and I believe there are two caravans for mixed couples.

The details for joining can be found at the HOWA website. Just Google it if you can't find it.
The caravans usually start in October in and around Quartzsite. They stay on BLM land and move every two weeks. There's no obligation to stay if you find it's not your cup of tea and your free to join other groups.

The only thing is that there is a limit on how many can be in a caravan before BLM authorities decide you are too big and then put restrictions on it. HOWA keeps track of that.

Since I plan on being in Pahrump at the van build, I'll just travel with folks to Quartzsite from there. I haven't joined a group yet as the last two years I was testing the waters. But the van build showed me that I would enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2022, 05:19 PM

I''m not sure I answered your question. I'm an extreme introvert also and since I haven't joined a caravan yet, I 'm not positive. Bob did a good video explaining them and he did say not everyone fits. And you may find you're not comfortable in a group. Mine is mixed. I found I enjoyed being with older women my age yet, the ones I became the closest to two different younger couples. The only thing I can figure out is that they looked up to me as they would their parents.

Old 08-03-2022, 11:26 AM

496 posts, read 326,157 times
I do not talk a lot myself. I don't know if that necessarily makes me an introvert, as introverts are supposed to be drained by interacting with others instead of being energized by them. When I'm discussing something I'm passionate about with others, that can be very energizing.

Most of my friends and I dislike large crowds as we get older. The RTR gathering that Bob Wells has started looks like it can be educational for vandwellers, but when I see how many people are showing up for those events now, it just looks like it's gotten too popular. I would hesitate to join that large of a group.

Bob himself likes to camp out way away from others, as he's an introvert. Bob says, "What I love about camping with vandwellers is our independence! We can be camped very close to each other, but still totally respect each others needs for “alone” or “me” time. Once I express my need for privacy it has always been respected and honored! It’s just in the nature of vandwellers to need to be alone and so we respect that in each other. But, even as much as we need our isolation, we also need contact with others. The way we have it set-up we all get both and can establish our own boundaries."

I follow a full time vandweller - AdventureVanMan on YouTube. He's an introvert too, but has made many friends at the RTR and similar gatherings. Some caravaners will break off into smaller groups and start a mini caravan of their own. After you've been doing it for a while, you tend to start to see familiar vehicles at the various camping spots.

There are benefits to this lifestyle for introverts. Since you don't require the company of others, you can go for a walk/hike/bike ride whenever you want without having to match someone else's schedule. You can be an active member in a caravan or someone who hangs out on the fringes. You don't have to answer to anyone else. You can still keep in touch with your friends and family with a phone and social media.

I was preparing to do a ton of traveling and camping when I retire in a few years. However, a neighboring family split up and abandoned their two cats, so I now have two cats to take care of! I'll have to delay some travel plans, but I'm glad to see that one can travel with at least one cat.

Old 08-04-2022, 06:35 AM

Some people travel with two, example is Eric of Nomadic Fanadic and others. It can actually be a plus I would think as they can keep each other company. Marigold doesn't like other cats so it wouldn't work for us. If I had a bigger vehicle and she ever liked another cat, I would certainly consider it.

I found at the van build that it's an unwritten rule that unless you show this you welcome company, a person is left alone. I really liked that.

You are right about the RTR. I'm glad I experienced it but if I go again it would be to the WRTR or as a volunteer. It's more for newbies.

Old 08-10-2022, 12:29 AM

4,606 posts, read 3,000,886 times
What's the latest on your recuperation, Meo?

Old 08-10-2022, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
What's the latest on your recuperation, Meo?
I've been waiting until today as I had my doctor's appointment today. The staples were removed (ouch but yay) and I was given a clean bill of health. My wounds were taped with surgical tape and I have to take it easy for one more week and then I'm good to go.

He was a little leery of my leaving for Arizona as they normally do a scan after three months but gave me the warning sign that I'm in trouble and to immediately get to a hospital. He said if it feels like my leg is on fire, get help immediately. He also said the odds of that happening were pretty nil as my wounds were healing so well.

It will be a little hard to stay still for one more week but I will do it.

Old 08-10-2022, 04:53 PM

Did I mention there were about 50 staples? I was so worried because the wounds were red. But the doctor said the staples were causing that.

Old 08-18-2022, 04:07 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,000,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I've been waiting until today as I had my doctor's appointment today. The staples were removed (ouch but yay) and I was given a clean bill of health. My wounds were taped with surgical tape and I have to take it easy for one more week and then I'm good to go.

He was a little leery of my leaving for Arizona as they normally do a scan after three months but gave me the warning sign that I'm in trouble and to immediately get to a hospital. He said if it feels like my leg is on fire, get help immediately. He also said the odds of that happening were pretty nil as my wounds were healing so well.

It will be a little hard to stay still for one more week but I will do it.

Well, another week has passed... what's the latest, Meo?

Old 08-19-2022, 09:10 PM

It's going slower than I expected. Still very stiff and sore.
And now they have me on Plavix which is playing havoc with my stomach. I told my doctor and he suggested I take it after a full meal. I was taking it in the morning because it says on the prescription with or without food. Probably dumb on my part.
So I took it after my evening meal and the same thing is happening.
I'm going to try it over the weekend and see if it improves but if it doesn't, he's going to have to prescribe something else because I'm miserable. And he wants me to take this for one year.
That's not going to happen. I can't put up with a bloated, hurting stomach for a year. Especially since this miracle operation was supposed to have me up and walking and I'm still so bruised from what they did that I still have trouble even moving.

Okay, I 'm disappointed and really didn't expect so much pain. I'm anxious to get my car situated for traveling and still unable to do it. I'm just frustrated. And still stiff and hurting.

Old 08-20-2022, 06:21 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Oh, Meo, so sorry to hear this ^^^. I will think good thoughts for you and hope that you and Marigold will be on your way to new adventures in just a few weeks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing