Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2022, 03:22 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,905,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
The next trip starts after labor day. First real stop, Theodore Roosevelt National Park for a day or two. I really liked it there, even with the rain. After that I'll just meander through Montana, I plan to spend a lot of time in Oregon and eventually Pahrump for the van build in October.

They haven't sent out volunteer requests yet so not sure when that's starting.
Did you find a van?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2022, 04:32 PM

7,044 posts, read 6,295,966 times
No Jasper. Until I find what I want with what I 'm willing to pay, the Cube will have to suffice. I did buy a rooftop carrier. Yes, it will take more gas but I'm not going to buy something that drains my funds.

The carrier will hold my chairs, tents (shower and Marigolds), and maybe winter clothes. I did get just a small one, just big enough to fit what got in the way while traveling.

Old 07-30-2022, 04:39 PM

Marigold is not that happy with me. First she meowed angrily sand turned her back. She finally did jump on me and into my lap, but the cuts, on both sides, are on my groin so I had to protect them. I did get a small pillow for my lap for when she does it again.

Old 07-30-2022, 05:37 PM

2,276 posts, read 1,670,725 times
So glad to hear your surgery went well! I bet you will feel much more comfortable on your upcoming journey.

Old 07-30-2022, 06:00 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,905,229 times
Quote:
No Jasper. Until I find what I want with what I 'm willing to pay, the Cube will have to suffice. I did buy a rooftop carrier. Yes, it will take more gas but I'm not going to buy something that drains my funds.

The carrier will hold my chairs, tents (shower and Marigolds), and maybe winter clothes. I did get just a small one, just big enough to fit what got in the way while traveling.
Hang in there, I think prices are dropping and you might even find a converted van at a fair price.

Old 07-30-2022, 07:33 PM

2,911 posts, read 1,359,886 times
Your right leg artery was totally blocked and the left leg artery was partially blocked?

Yowsers!! No wonder you've been having such pain and problems.

I'm glad you're doing better now, Meo!

Old 07-30-2022, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Hang in there, I think prices are dropping and you might even find a converted van at a fair price.
That would be nice. I'll keep looking. The Cube is comfortable and when I can get stuff out of it, which I do once I stop and set up camp. I'm definitely willing to wait.

Old 07-30-2022, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
Your right leg artery was totally blocked and the left leg artery was partially blocked?

Yowsers!! No wonder you've been having such pain and problems.

I'm glad you're doing better now, Meo!
Thanks. Ya, I wonder how I even did all that I did.
I do have a high pain tolerance and those two years while my legs were getting weaker, my upper body strength was growing and I think it was those muscles that were doing the most work.

It's so funny but some of the staff were calling me superwoman because I was recovering so fast and trying to heal. Some were very interested in my traveling, asking how I did it etc

I think at least one of the traveling nurses will investigate cheaprvliving and head to Quartzsite this fall. Another one knew a little bit of it and he and his wife had just bought a travel trailer and he asked about the various items I carried with me. I directed him to cheaprvliving also.

I'm not saying Bob Wells is the be-all but he's been doing this a long time and shares what he has found to work.

That's the hard part, figuring out what to take and what to get rid of and what you need to survive on the road.

Old 07-31-2022, 06:35 AM

6,589 posts, read 4,975,313 times
Quote:
Every time I try to get to sleep, something keeps beeping so may as well as write some more. I'm patiently waiting for 7:00 am so I can have some food. I'm starving.

I'm sure most, if not all, of you know that you can't eat or drink anything after midnight before an operation. This would have been fine if a) he hadn't had an emergency operation which pushed mine back a couple hours and b) mine hadn't taken 6&1/2 hours so I wasn't out of recovery and into a room until 6:45. You can only order food from 7am to 7pm.

With the type of anesthesia they gave me, I was put on fluids, none of which are very exciting. And I had all of 15 minutes to decide which of these exciting items to order. Being of not sound mind, I ordered clear soup, yogurt and coffee. I'm sure it was the drugs that made me make those decisions.

So now I'm starving.
I'm so glad your problems are fixed!!!

I have to comment on the food thing. I had surgery a couple of years ago and like you, couldn't eat after midnight. I was at the hospital by 9am but actual surgery was around 1pm. I think I was in recovery by 4pm.

My first coherent words were "I'm starving!!" sometime between 4pm and 5pm

They didn't get me to my room until after 6:30pm and it was "oh sorry, it's too late to order food, they close at 7".

I ended up with a nurses old tuna sandwich and then a lot of saltines and graham crackers over night. Someone made me a piece of toast too. Breakfast options were enough carbs to put a diabetic into shock just reading the menu.

I was blown away that no one had the sense to order food for me while I was in recovery. It's not like I knew the cafe hours.

I also had emergency surgery in 2017. There they had a late night menu of maybe three items. I got mac and cheese and it wasn't bad. But breakfast? Never happened. I called them every 30 minutes, they kept saying they'd get to me and then it was "sorry, breakfast is done and we're starting lunch in an hour"

Was your bed self adjusting? Mine was. Every time I got comfortable, it would level itself or something and I'd be uncomfortable again!

Old 07-31-2022, 02:21 PM

Wow, that sounds rough.
My bed was not self adjusting, the mattress moved at times so the patient didn't get bed sores. It was comforting and made for people who were bed ridden. I was bedridden for a day and a half. It was not fun.
Then, when I convinced the drs assistant that, with help since I had tubes and wires on both sides. The staff didn't like it and I should have been moved to a different floor where the staff helped with recovery. Most of them were nice but there was one who was.actually almost mean.

I only rang for help when I really needed it, either the bathroom or water. Well, this one assistant put the belt on tightly even though I told her it was too tight. She was rude and wouldn't look or talk to me. When the nurse came in I told her not to ever send that person again. I said, I don't know if she doesn't like old people or if she doesn't want to work here or if she just doesn't like white people, but I don't want to deal with her attitude.

The nurse knew exactly who I was talking about and said she would report her to the head nurse. I don't know what happened with her but I never saw her again.

I will report it in the survey they ask you to fill out when you leave.

Otherwise, everyone was very nice to me and a lot asked me about traveling. Some people hunger for the lifestyle but are afraid to take the leap.

I don't blame them. I didn't start until after I was retired and living in an apartment I didn't really like. It was okay, but life was boring because the apartment took a third of my money, bills-phone and electric took a big chunk and I didn't want to use my money from the accident, although I did use it for furniture, which I ended up giving away. That's another story which I have told before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing