Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2022, 10:36 AM

7,044 posts, read 6,295,966 times

Advertisements

Thanks Karen.
It's just so frustrating. I want to get things done and my body is stopping that from happening. It seems to be taking a long time to heal and I have a hard time picturing how I'm going to travel and camp in the desert with stomach problems. It's not like there are on demand bathrooms, unless I, once again, camp at a LTVA.
I could do that if I have to but I really wanted to join one of the caravans this year.
I may have to work on my attitude and adjust my expectations and recognize my weaknesses.
My plan was/is to leave right after my yearly doctor appointment which is September 9th. I just don't know if I'll get everything done on time.
I still have to tweak my car build. I plan on putting in piano hinges, which my nephew should have done in the first place but didn't. Then I have a lot of rearranging to do to make room for the food I bought.
I also have to find better space for the car accessories; the battery charger, tire pump and tire repair kit, etc.
Then, last year I let my sister talk me into leaving Marigolds cat tree. That was a bad idea as I realized I kept and keep her food and cat box supplies in the bottom portion. I was constantly searching for those last season as they proved easy to misplace.

These are the things you learn though as you go along. You find what works and what doesn't work so well. The first year was complete chaos, the next one was much better organized, except for cat supplies, and this year I plan on being much more organized.
But I have to be able to move and get these things done. And my body is not cooperating. It's frustrating.

Yes, I can wait a while but I'm supposed to be meeting up with friends in Washington before heading to Pahrump to help at the van build. They haven't set a schedule yet but I signed up for the last two weeks of October.
I also want to explore Oregon further as the weather wasn't cooperating last time I tried.
I suppose I will keep getting stronger each day. I just hope I don't have to rush in the end because that's when you make mistakes. I found out last season that it's hard to reorganize once you have things placed in such a small space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2022, 11:04 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,905,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Thanks Karen.
It's just so frustrating. I want to get things done and my body is stopping that from happening. It seems to be taking a long time to heal and I have a hard time picturing how I'm going to travel and camp in the desert with stomach problems. It's not like there are on demand bathrooms, unless I, once again, camp at a LTVA.
I could do that if I have to but I really wanted to join one of the caravans this year.
I may have to work on my attitude and adjust my expectations and recognize my weaknesses.
My plan was/is to leave right after my yearly doctor appointment which is September 9th. I just don't know if I'll get everything done on time.
I still have to tweak my car build. I plan on putting in piano hinges, which my nephew should have done in the first place but didn't. Then I have a lot of rearranging to do to make room for the food I bought.
I also have to find better space for the car accessories; the battery charger, tire pump and tire repair kit, etc.
Then, last year I let my sister talk me into leaving Marigolds cat tree. That was a bad idea as I realized I kept and keep her food and cat box supplies in the bottom portion. I was constantly searching for those last season as they proved easy to misplace.

These are the things you learn though as you go along. You find what works and what doesn't work so well. The first year was complete chaos, the next one was much better organized, except for cat supplies, and this year I plan on being much more organized.
But I have to be able to move and get these things done. And my body is not cooperating. It's frustrating.

Yes, I can wait a while but I'm supposed to be meeting up with friends in Washington before heading to Pahrump to help at the van build. They haven't set a schedule yet but I signed up for the last two weeks of October.
I also want to explore Oregon further as the weather wasn't cooperating last time I tried.
I suppose I will keep getting stronger each day. I just hope I don't have to rush in the end because that's when you make mistakes. I found out last season that it's hard to reorganize once you have things placed in such a small space.
curious, what is the van build you mention in posts?

Old 08-23-2022, 11:59 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/WZ9ALPUuR5I

Also, you can always just show up at Quartzsite during the winter approx Nov - March), and find the help you want.

Old 08-23-2022, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Homes on Wheels Alliance, HOWA, please visit their site for information.
Last fall they sponsored a build for nomads needing help with their builds who otherwise couldn't afford to build their vehicles out. A select number were chosen and supplies were donated. Volunteers then did the actual work, a long with the recipients help.
It was a great success. I was proud to be one of the volunteers. Even though because of my physical limitations I was unable to help with the actual build, I made a mean pot of coffee and was able to be support in other areas.
This fall I signed up for the same hospitality role and also hope by that time to be healed up enough for trash pickup. We made a great impression on Pahrump by helping to pick up trash on the BLM land there.
It was awesome.

Old 08-23-2022, 02:44 PM

Thanks jacquep, that summed it up.

Old 08-23-2022, 07:32 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,343,911 times
Quote:
It's going slower than I expected. Still very stiff and sore.
And now they have me on Plavix which is playing havoc with my stomach. I told my doctor and he suggested I take it after a full meal. I was taking it in the morning because it says on the prescription with or without food. Probably dumb on my part.
So I took it after my evening meal and the same thing is happening.
I'm going to try it over the weekend and see if it improves but if it doesn't, he's going to have to prescribe something else because I'm miserable. And he wants me to take this for one year.
That's not going to happen. I can't put up with a bloated, hurting stomach for a year. Especially since this miracle operation was supposed to have me up and walking and I'm still so bruised from what they did that I still have trouble even moving.

Okay, I 'm disappointed and really didn't expect so much pain. I'm anxious to get my car situated for traveling and still unable to do it. I'm just frustrated. And still stiff and hurting.
Just curious, is medicine still upsetting your stomach?

Sometimes it takes a week or so for your body to "get used to it"...

Old 08-23-2022, 09:47 PM

It has cleared up somewhat. No longer hurts since I started taking it with my evening meal.

I still am having problems with digestion and that's somewhat depressing as after years of stomach problems they all stopped when I started eating more plant based food.

It feels like I'm starting at Zero. But if this is what it takes to get well, then so be it.

Old 08-23-2022, 10:38 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,000,886 times
Quote:
Thanks Karen.

Impressive how you can live out of a small car for months on end, Meo!

When you're traveling / camping, do you rely on remembering where each item is?
Maybe it would help to write up a list of where everything will be.
That could be useful both as a planning tool before you start out,
and a guide for where stuff is (and where to return it) when you're underway.

Old 08-24-2022, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Impressive how you can live out of a small car for months on end, Meo!

When you're traveling / camping, do you rely on remembering where each item is?
Maybe it would help to write up a list of where everything will be.
That could be useful both as a planning tool before you start out,
and a guide for where stuff is (and where to return it) when you're underway.
That's a good idea. I have found that certain items seem to lend themselves to certain spaces. Then again, last time made quite a few changes. Finding out what works has been challenging and there are changes I've made a long the way. I found myself using certain things I use a lot of the time so I bought a smaller plastic container and keep the things I use most up front.

Old 08-26-2022, 09:16 PM

I'm getting excited as the time is growing closer.
My body is improving and I feel much stronger.

It's raining tonight, which is keeping me awake, but I love it.
Soon I'll be on the road again. Yeah! I'm anxious but glad I have this time to really organize my car.

I do have to get to Washington but looking forward to spending time at the Theodore Roosevelt National Park first. That was/is so beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing