Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2022, 07:34 AM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times

Advertisements

This is all helpful. I won't know anything until Thursday but I do know that my joints always feel better in Arizona because of the dry heat so that will help too.
Right now it's hard because I am trying to get everything packed up and organized but I hurt, which makes it difficult.
What's encouraging to me is knowing I can get things taken care of even if I'm on the road.
I'm just tired of being in pain and want this to end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2022, 07:40 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,881,999 times
Yes, you will do much better in the desert. I even do better in California, where I am from, even by the coast (Long Beach). Now that I live in Alabama, I am forced to take either Celebrex or Ibuprofen for arthritis pain. It's one of the reasons that I want to return out West, but there are things about Alabama that I really like, so it's a tough choice. Still, at some point I think I will return to the arid climate.

Can you get your doctor to prescribe Celebrex until the surgery? It works quite well for me, although everyone's biochemistry is different. I really balked at taking Celebrex because of all the bad press, but it's been a lifesaver for me. I had a bad fall last December and still have bursitis, which will heal eventually but it's taking a long time. In the meantime, Celebrex works very well for joint pain and bursitis.

When I was out in California for 5 weeks last spring, I noticed that I had forgotten to take the Celebrex because I was so busy with family and friends. This was even by the ocean, which is more humid than inland where other family lives. As soon as I got back to the SE, I had to start taking it again. Right now I'm trying to wean off, and it isn't working.

Hope you can get the pain resolved soon, or at least dialed back. Let us know!

Old 09-10-2022, 10:46 AM

I'll ask about the celebrex. Thanks for the info.
I don't like taking medication, although I know I need to take some. Currently I'm taking pills for high blood pressure and cholesterol. Then the plavix was added. That's still causing stomach problems. I asked my doctor if there's something else I could take and he said, unfortunately, no. But he did order another prescription for my stomach. How joyful. Not.
He did explain why the plavix is necessary. He said it keeps the blood flowing and it needed to do that after the extensive operation I had.
We also discussed the stiffness and pain I have at the wound sites. He said it could take a year or more for them to totally heal. I was told none of this at the hospital.

Why do doctors do this? Not tell you the consequences? The surgeon didn't even explain what the operation entailed until right before they took me in for surgery. I had no idea how extensive it would be and that it would take 6&1/2 hours plus a yr or more to recover.
Sheesh.

Old 09-10-2022, 10:54 AM

Whoa, 6-1/2 hrs for knee surgery?

I just remembered that when I saw an orthopedic surgeon about my recalled hip implant, he told me that he hates doing revisions because they are very long surgeries, are disgusting, and take at least 7 months to heal. Apparently, when you have a revision they have to go in there and scrape tissue off of the implant. That's why it takes so long.

At any rate, thankfully my implant is OK and it doesn't need to be done. In fact, both implants (different mfg's) have been recalled.

I really hope to go traveling in about a year and I'm not going to let orthopedic issues prevent it. My dogs are old so it might have to wait until they are gone unless I can get them to use a ramp.

Last edited by pathrunner; 09-10-2022 at 12:02 PM..

Old 09-10-2022, 11:52 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Whoa, 6-1/2 hrs for knee surgery? The damage must be extensive. I was lucky to have two great ortho surgeons for my hips. One is in Phoenix, he left AZ Bone and Joint and has his own practice with one other surgeon now. AZ Bone and Joint was waaaay too busy for my taste. It would take an hour to be called in, full waiting room at all times. Anyway, he was such a cool guy. Very friendly, thorough and forthcoming with information. Did not rush through appointments. He also had a great Physician Assistant who I think went with him. His specialty is knees and hips. I'll DM you his name in case you want to have the done in Phoenix. Unless you have someone already.

Would you copy me on that as well? I'll be having a TKR sometime next year. Thanks!

Old 09-10-2022, 03:07 PM

Path runner, it was an artery to artery bypass on my groin arteries, not the knees.

Old 09-11-2022, 10:18 AM

That sounds serious. Holding good thoughts for all your health issues and that things go smoothly prior to and after winter.

Old 09-11-2022, 02:38 PM

It was serious and that's why I have to take the plavix for a year to keep my blood thinned. That drug upsets my stomach but both doctors insist I have to take it. So I will.
Hopefully this stomach pill will help.
Then if they can fix my knee I'll be a happy camper.
Thanks for the good thoughts.

Old 09-15-2022, 12:59 AM

Dr's appointment tomorrow. I thought that was why I was having such a hard time getting to sleep but now I realize it's because a storm is brewing. Must be the air pressure.
It's thundering and lightning but no rain yet. It's loud enough y keep me awake, especially when the sky lights up with the lightening.

Old 09-15-2022, 01:13 PM

The doctor appointment went well. He put cortisone in both knees as the other one was just starting to act up also. He said it would take a few days for it to kick in but I should be good to go after that.
I still need to finish packing and loading the car so that will take a few days to organize. So I went ahead and ordered a tent that was on sale and that will be here Tuesday. I figure I should have everything done by then so the plan is to leave Wednesday morning. Finally!
Washington, here I come.
I can't remember if I mentioned that I plan to visit friends who are camp hosting at a camp in Washington state and have been patiently waiting for me to join them. Can't wait to see them again. They're a pretty special couple and we clicked when we met at the van build.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing