Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2022, 03:24 PM

7,049 posts, read 6,302,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Inside your car i would probably use 1/2" plywood (if i'm understanding your project). If your attaching the hinges to 2"x4", drill holes a little smaller diameter then the screw threads diameter with appropriate drill bit. Now, put a little auto wax on the threads of a screw. Screw it in. The wax will make it easier to screw in.
That makes good sense, Hawk. I sort of got it attached. I don't have the drill bit to do a starter hole. Sad. I used to have tons of tools when I had my house but not anymore.
It's good enough for now. I'll stop along the way and get what I need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2022, 03:38 PM

Well, I don't think I'm going to make my goal. My brother came over and we got the carrier on and partially filled but it took hours to figure it out and get it right.

I still have to do laundry, clean out the fridge, get Marigolds cat tree in the car. Finish packing the car. Give this place a final cleaning and it's all taking too long.
I'm still not 100% and feel it in my muscles and back.

My brother will come over again tomorrow and help. I'm going to put the cat tree in the car then, even if I don't leave until Thursday. It's coming together but I have to rest a lot, which slows me down.

I don't want to be young again but sure wish I had some of that stamina!

The good thing is, outside of laundry, everything is packed and I gained a lot of space with the carrier so I can start packing the car as soon as it's light. I should start now but I 'm tired. Tossed and turned again last night. Hopefully tonight I'll sleep well.

Old 09-19-2022, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
One of the things I've noticed working at a grocery store, I've learned about a lot of products that come packaged very conveniently. It really is possible to eat well, and eat healthy while on the road. I did it all wrong last time. Next time will be very different.... For example, the tuna pouches. So many different kinds of tuna and other fish available. There are many other examples.

I think the thing for me would be how to store creamer for my coffee. I keep a box of nonfat milk powder around for extreme emergencies, such as when I can't get to the store while ill. It barely does the trick. Another thing I've done in the past, yum yum: Boiling a can of sweetened condensed milk, turning it into a creamy caramel flavor. I guess one could keep cans of sweetened condensed milk for creaming. Problem is, it's highly caloric.
Yes I do the tuna, chicken and salmon packets. Then I do rice packets and vegetable packets. I use a Hot Logic, which I hadn't ever heard about until other travelers mentioned it. The same with the food packets. I normally like Tasty Bite but there are other companies too. I just happen to like Tasty Bite s Indian cuisine.

As more utubers make videos about traveling, I learn more and more. Some of the things are out of my price range but there's a lot that are into living as cheaply as possible while still eating healthy. I don't have room for refrigeration so I had to learn how to do it.
Now, if I didn't have a cat...but that's not an option. I would be lost without her.

Now that I have the carrier, I could use an ice chest but everyone I've talked to that has or does do that tends to not like using them because of constantly buying ice.

So as long as I can live like I'm living, I'm fine.

Old 09-19-2022, 04:21 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,898,296 times
Don't buy a 12v ice chest. I bought one for $135 and it was not a good product. Barely worked, even from the beginning. Had good reviews, too.

I saw a YouTube video about insulating a regular cooler with very thick Reflectix. I think it was a Bob Wells video. Done the right way, it keeps ice solid for 5 days. This is after buying a 5-day cooler, which really aren't 5 days unless you take extra steps to insulate them. That's what I will do in the future when I finally get to go traveling for a bit.

I wish I had known this (or duh, figured it out!) when I lived on a homestead in northern New Mexico. Must have spent $100/month on ice in the summer, two years in a row. Not to mention spoiled food due to the water.

Old 09-19-2022, 06:15 PM

Yeah, it was Bob. I remember the video. And that's a thought. But his assistant did a good video on living without a fridge. She is so intelligent and does such good research that I really trust what she says. Casey is his assistant.

For me, I don't think it's necessary. I may change my mind at some time but for now I'm fine. I was having a problem with making too much food and ended up wasting some, but then I came across a USB small sealer and now I can make just half of the packets and seal up the rest for the next day.

What will they think of next? I'm glad they thought up this one though. It took a while to learn how to use it but now I have it down.

I think I found that one when I was researching camping equipment.

Old 09-19-2022, 06:20 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,898,296 times
I was going to invest in a vacuum food bag sealer. The one I wanted is $119.00 on Amazon. Living in a house right now, I can see using something like that but on the road I'm not sure I'd want or need a food sealer. Have to think about that. Does nomads using a bag sealer mean that the regular zip locks don't work all that well on the road? I use zip lock bags like crazy.

Old 09-19-2022, 10:51 PM

I use the ziplock bags too. The sealer I bought is based on the principle of the vacuum sealer (which I always used prior to becoming a nomad).
It's not as good, of course, but it does give a better seal as it's easier to get the air out.

With baggies I can't get the air out as well.

But, keep in mind that I am closing the package that doesn't need refrigeration. I seal it to keep it in the package and I use it the next day.

Old 09-20-2022, 11:02 AM

Taking a break. I went into town to the dollar store to see if I could find more organizing gadgets and found a few, not many.
But then I went to Harbor freight, which is next to the dollar store to get some Paracord. You can never have too much of that! I had to tear myself away because I could spend hours in there, just browsing.

My final stop was the thrift store, to see what they might have. I found a matching set of smaller hard plastic bowls with lids. I wanted something like that, just big enough for oatmeal and soups, etc. I found a pair of fleece pants also.

Then I found one of those hanging travel carriers, the kind you roll up and hang in the bathroom when you get to your hotel.
I didn't realize it was a Mary Kay thing. Boy, did that bring back memories! I sold Mary Kay when I was in my twenties, when I was searching for someway to work because I had to quit my job when my son was in kindergarten. I couldn't find a babysitter that would take him for half days.

I flopped as a salesperson because I fell for every hard luck story out there. So that's my Mary Kay story.

My thrift store haul was just over $10.

Old 09-20-2022, 11:38 AM

Laundry is going. I'm packing up the food things now.
It looks like a mess, but it's really not. It's actually pretty organized.

One of the hard parts of all this is deciding what to take and what to leave. For the desert you need warm weather clothing for the day and cold weather clothing for nighttime.

For Minnesota summers you might need sweatshirts occasionally but usually you need warm weather clothes for day and night.

I've seen people in tank tops in the desert but I don't wear them there unless it's under a shirt for warmth. So most of those stay here. Fleece clothing, very very seldom in MN. A staple for desert nights in the winter.

Such different climates and I have to be prepared for both to live like this.

Old 09-20-2022, 12:18 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,083,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Laundry is going. I'm packing up the food things now.
It looks like a mess, but it's really not. It's actually pretty organized.

One of the hard parts of all this is deciding what to take and what to leave. For the desert you need warm weather clothing for the day and cold weather clothing for nighttime.

For Minnesota summers you might need sweatshirts occasionally but usually you need warm weather clothes for day and night.

I've seen people in tank tops in the desert but I don't wear them there unless it's under a shirt for warmth. So most of those stay here. Fleece clothing, very very seldom in MN. A staple for desert nights in the winter.

Such different climates and I have to be prepared for both to live like this.
Yay! I am getting so excited for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing