Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2022, 09:48 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,715 posts, read 58,054,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Thanks, NW4me.
It's been a long, hard haul but hopefully it's over.

It may be time for me to seriously think of buying some land in Arizona though. ...

I've still got a lot of research to do but with the current economy, it's definitely something to think about.
If you can find a few partners, I have a friend in SE AZ (north of Benson, near Sand Crane refuge) who has a pretty nice acreage with LOTS of water, and quite moderate temps. They need to sell to move back to WA (family needs).

I has 7 acres + a nice (but not expensive) home
a Bunkhouse (double wide mobile, very well fixed up)
Large shop (Was a horse rescue place)
RV hookups (3)
A few RV shelters / hay sheds
Nice trees (and owls + birds)
Great neighbors

Quite an oasis.

3 friends could swing it financially, and not run into each other while home, and still rent out RV sites for winter visitors.

Remember... a bare property costs you a LOT to run power($10k), well($20k), septic ($20k) and grading for driveway and fences ($10k) + each building / shelter is now minimum of $30k and homes are $150 / SF if you can get permits and materials and a builder. that's why I currently only buy already developed places (I prefer cheap derelict places that I can bulldoze, clean up the mesh, enjoy the established trees and build a new shop with apartment, W&D, kitchen and RV hook-ups). I rent the shop for $1000/ month and RV spots for $400/ month and I stay for free.

There are many properties in AZ that will be a nice set-up for a partial yr, or permanent base.

I find it very handy to rent living or RV space to retirees, preferably to someone that likes to stay home and watch the place, garden, livestock, and mow the grass. My places all cash flow positive (I live there for free), except for property taxes on my WA place. No renter / tenant could afford that! but... if I was renting for market rates, my spare living space would easily cover my taxes, insurance, and utilities. Plus... if I every need a caregiver, they will have a very nice seperate home to live in.

Good luck.
My Cortizone (knees) has allowed me a tad relief, but is wearing off after 3 months. Each subsequent treatment lasts less time.

I'm currently looking for a different treatment, as I have full strength and movement, I just cant sit with bent knees (Driving is very painful after about 30 seconds). but I did just make a 1500 mile quick road trip in 26 hrs straight (painfully). Hope I recover in time to move my friend back from AZ to WA. It took 3 huge moving truck loads to move them down, and they have a bunch more stuff now. (including tractors and machinery) Some will require selling and rebuying in WA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2022, 10:06 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times
Stealthrabbit, I do not myself nor do I know people to go in on this.
This is my third year of being a nomad. The first year was one of grief, trying to get overy son's death.
The second year was coming to terms with his loss and finally opening up. This was combined with the health problems.
This year I hope to finally be more open and be back to being my real self.

I will never be rich in money. What I strive for is the return of my nonprofit attitude and helping people.
I will never be rich in money but I strive to be rich in love.

I doubt I'll ever come across the type of people who could be involved in an endeavor such as this.

It was a nice thought though. Thank you.

Old 09-15-2022, 10:08 PM

P.S. Have you given thought to knee replacement?

Old 09-15-2022, 10:17 PM

Wow. A rain storm again tonight

Old 09-15-2022, 10:33 PM

The storm woke up Marigold. It always amuses me when she acts like I can somehow control the weather.

Last edited by meo92953; 09-15-2022 at 10:58 PM..

Old 09-15-2022, 11:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,715 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
P.S. Have you given thought to knee replacement?
Been advised against it,
1) I need to do both (Bilateral damage)
2) New Joints only last 20 yrs, they think I'll last much longer (little do they know)
3) I have full strength and movement and no popping / dislocation, so FUNCTIONALLY I'm fine (except for pain)
4) Wait times are long and successes vary (I have 3 friends with new knees this yr. They're not doing so hot. All are very active and of light frame (no weight issues), so it gives me pause to see their additional issues (with new knees)
5) Surgery risks. I had an uncle get some bad drugs on elective surgery. He became a vegetable at age 59 (for the next 16 yrs). I have similar drug reactions, so no sense pushing the Dr's to do what they recommend against.

If it gets to the point I must get new joints... then I must.

On the properties. Keep your mind and eyes and ears open. There are lots of opportunities that are quite inexpensive. If impoverished, there are even more!

I'm selling some of my places to tenants in the next 3 yrs. They will need NO money down, and I'm carrying the paper (no banks involved). It's a great deal for them, (a nice home, cheap) and for me. (income through retirement, but no more rental hassles). I have done some of those during the last 5 yrs. Has worked well.

Shared equity is also quite popular way to get a home as a retiree (if poor).

Enjoy your sojourn, but it was YOU who said... It may be time for me to seriously think of buying some land in Arizona I totally errored in offering a solution.

Bye.

Old 09-15-2022, 11:42 PM

Yess, I said that . The operative word being may.

With all the issues I have had with my body, I really don't expect to be here that much longer.

Sure I dream, as all of us do but realistically, I have had so much pain in the last few years, I'm tired of fighting it.

I just want to live out with what remains of my life in peace and surrounded by the beauty of nature.

Let's face it. I'm falling apart. I'm just thankful I have had the time to be on this journey.

Not that I am giving up, it's just accepting reality.

Sure, I dream of buying some land and living with on it. But, realistically I think it's just a dream.

Old 09-15-2022, 11:54 PM

Okay, that sounded morbid.

I have no intention of giving up. I'm just tired of dealing with the pain. It will get better and I'll probably live to 102 ( although,, gads, I hope not!).

The pain will get better and if it turns out I need knee replacement, well that's certainly not the end of the world.

Old 09-16-2022, 09:06 AM

While I am in Arizona, I may look into getting some land, we'll see. Kevin, of Campervan Kevin, bought some by Showlow and is slowly building it out. Nomadic Fanatic is looking at land by him, just looking at the moment.

I like watching his videos of his search because he has pointed out things I hadn't thought of. Is it close to a power source and water. If not, what's the cost of getting them? Is it fairly accessible to a town? Are there passable roads?

I feel he's doing the leg work for those os us who are interested in this.

I also have friends who bought land and had a house built by Benson. I will be visiting them on my way to Texas this spring. There are a few nomads who have bought land around that area.

For now it's just something to think about. I'd like to get a bit more saved before I make any life changing moves.

Old 09-16-2022, 11:04 AM

11,059 posts, read 6,881,999 times
So is Caravan Carolyn. I've been watching Kevin, and I think he's got bucks. Big bucks. The amount of money he's spending just on getting that site built up is phenomenal. Then there are the vehicles. He did even get a little defensive about the new (to him) purple Geo Tracker, saying that he worked hard all his life and deserves a $2,500 car. I'm not writing these things to criticize, it's that he is in a completley different category than I am in terms of being able to set up such a place with tiny homes (3 total; 2 purchased recently). Perhaps he came into an inheritance, or cashed in a 401(k). He does seem like a careful planner.

As for Ausia, she's a Queen Bee (a nice one) who has helpers and I find her videos interesting. A relative of hers in Texas passed away about 2-3 years ago and she got an inheritance. She also makes a fair amount of money on YouTube. So there again, she's got major bucks compared to you and I when it comes to setting up a homestead in the high desert/mountains.

I do enjoy their videos but in the past couple of years they've moved quite a bit out of my league.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing