Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2022, 06:50 PM

7,039 posts, read 6,289,652 times

Advertisements

Today was first, a session on power stations then a walk through of vans and minivan builds. I have two power stations, a jackary and a rockpals but did have questions, which were answered.

The builds on the vehicles were awesome. Made me more determined to save for a minivan. Sweet layouts. It's amazing how comfortable you can make this life. It also made me glad I've kept my storage unit as almost everything in there I can use in a bigger vehicle. I got the smallest unit and only kept what could be used in a larger vehicle so it's worth it to me.

Tomorrow is the last day of the RTR. I've learned a lot. Next year I Will a become a volunteer as there are 'sitting' jobs; registration etc. and those I can do. I think it will help me become more of a team.

It felt so good to be with people who are doing this. I've really enjoyed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2022, 07:42 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,483,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Today was first, a session on power stations then a walk through of vans and minivan builds. I have two power stations, a jackary and a rockpals but did have questions, which were answered.

The builds on the vehicles were awesome. Made me more determined to save for a minivan. Sweet layouts. It's amazing how comfortable you can make this life. It also made me glad I've kept my storage unit as almost everything in there I can use in a bigger vehicle. I got the smallest unit and only kept what could be used in a larger vehicle so it's worth it to me.

Tomorrow is the last day of the RTR. I've learned a lot. Next year I Will a become a volunteer as there are 'sitting' jobs; registration etc. and those I can do. I think it will help me become more of a team.

It felt so good to be with people who are doing this. I've really enjoyed it.
Meo, I have a '19 dodge Grand caravan, Fwd, stow n go for all back seats.
It may be taller inside than your cube, and will just about hold a full 4x8 sheet of plywood (the curves in the back hatch won't quite close. (For reference).
It would be the absolute minimum I would consider fir a road home with or without my spouse, especially with.

There are thousands of van/truck/delivery van conversion s. Watch videos, and glean ideas.

Why spend, for example, $20-35k on a minivan when maybe for $8 you can get a 3-4 yr o FedEx truck to covert and stand up in?

And there ARE mini travel washer/dryers (spin only) you can buy on Amazon for $100-125. They don't hold much, maybe 8-10# in washer, 4-5# in spin dryer (then you hang up), so I know you hate laundry, but I've even see Bob Wells do videos on those.

Also Bob has lots of videos on solar, panels, batteries, etc.

Many suggest the NuWave heaters as opposed to Lil Buddy heaters. Being warm, any season in any area would be mine (and spouses) first priority.
Somewhere I read you were "tired of being cold"!

As would cooling In hotter weather.

Best to you as you continue your journey!

Best

Old 01-22-2022, 08:32 PM

I'm not even considering spending $20-30000 on a vehicle. But, when you used to be able to find a minivan for $3000, it's now about $5-10000.

I don't want a box truck, such as the FedEx truck you suggest. I don't want the wind drag nor the poor mileage.

No, I don't love laundromats, nor do I hate them. The equipment you suggest takes a lot of room and I would rather have the room.

EVERYONE here has complained about the cold, not just me. It's been unseasonable weather everywhere, not just here.

I would love a Dodge Grand Caravan. I think they are super cars.

I'm having a real hard time as to what your point is. I scratch my head and try to figure out when/where was I contemplating the price point you mentioned, unless that's what you paid. Then I can understand.

Last edited by meo92953; 01-22-2022 at 08:58 PM..

Old 01-22-2022, 09:20 PM

On the upside, Marigold has been super. People walking by have mentioned how beautiful she is.

HOWA, Homes on Wheels Alliance, received a donation for warm socks, blankets and hats for attendees to the RTR. I'd gotten a pair of the socks but figured I had enough blankets, then my neighbor said she got one and it was incredibly warm, so I went ahead and got one.

Marigold is in love with this blanket! She snuggled and snuggled with it so I'm happy I decided to get it. I love that she loves it.

Old 01-23-2022, 05:43 AM

2,105 posts, read 3,009,621 times
It all sounds so interesting meo. I'd love to be able to see places I've never been.
If I could just take off for a couple of weeks or a month. But I have all these fur ball babies
and they come first.
As long as I can read your journey that'll do for now. Happy traveling!

Old 01-23-2022, 07:41 AM

815 posts, read 979,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I'm not even considering spending $20-30000 on a vehicle. But, when you used to be able to find a minivan for $3000, it's now about $5-10000.

I don't want a box truck, such as the FedEx truck you suggest. I don't want the wind drag nor the poor mileage.

No, I don't love laundromats, nor do I hate them. The equipment you suggest takes a lot of room and I would rather have the room.

EVERYONE here has complained about the cold, not just me. It's been unseasonable weather everywhere, not just here.

I would love a Dodge Grand Caravan. I think they are super cars.

I'm having a real hard time as to what your point is. I scratch my head and try to figure out when/where was I contemplating the price point you mentioned, unless that's what you paid. Then I can understand.
I think galaxi was just sharing information and trying to be helpful and encouraging

Old 01-23-2022, 12:28 PM

I did get that. I just didn't understand the pricing, the 25 to 30k sh mentioned.

. I actually did have a small apartment size washer and it lasted all of a year, then it broke. It also used a lot of water, which I wouldn't feel comfortable using in the desert. Bob made that point in his videos on small washers.

Cheaprvliving just put up a video on utube highlighting some of the RTR events. Please watch it as I think you'll enjoy it.

One point Sueann made was that she bought a van because she was working so much out of her Prius but she missed the feeling of being in nature her car had given her.

That's how I feel about the Cube. I'm going to try live in it as long as I can, not only to save for a minivan but also because I love it. I met a woman who had put a Yakima roof rack and carrier on her small car and that's what I think I will get. It'll free up space and I can continue living in the Cube longer. It is pricey but will be worth it in the end.

I think it will be a good year or two before prices become more realistic.

Old 01-23-2022, 01:37 PM

18,050 posts, read 15,649,855 times
Hi Meo,

Have you considered the option of a separate towable small RV that would allow you to keep your car and use it to tow the small RV? My understanding is a towable RV generally costs less than a van/RV. You can park the RV and take off on a day trip, while keeping your boondocking spot.

The other advantage to a towable RV, is if/when an RV conversion van breaks down or needs servicing or repairs, which does happen, you're left without your 'home' and vehicle until everything is fixed.

Old 01-23-2022, 01:43 PM

One of the things I try to point out is that I enjoy the life I'm living. I have some complaints, such as when it's unseasonably cold or I don't love doing laundry but that would be the case no matter if I was in my car or a house.

The way I live is what I have chosen to do. It's not for everyone and I understand that some folks don't understand it, but it's my choice. I'm willing to wait to get what I want.

I watch women like Minivan Lee and Dani of youandmelivingfree and other women travelers and am impressed by their attitudes and lifestyles. I met Dani at the RTR and she's as nice in person as she is in her videos.

Sure, I sometimes get van envy and then I think of all the money I'm saving, (over 700 this month) and it's worth it to me. The reason I'm saving so much is because of the food I stocked up on and using my hot logic most days. I'll probably still have a lot left when I return to Minnesota.

Dawn, I can't remember her channel name, went from a minivan to a van and now a box truck. She's had so much repair work needed and repairing those is not cheap. All the bigger rigs are costly to repair.

To me, it's not worth it. Bob says you live outside your vehicle, not in it. I do tend to spend more time inside but I think once I get a cargo carrier I will go ahead and invest in an outside screened in tent. I just don't have the room in the Cube for one now.

It's something to think about for down the road when I can no longer travel. That or a fifth wheel or a travel trailer that stays put. Box Van Dee did that and was able to find a mobile home park near Phoenix when she could no longer travel.

Old 01-23-2022, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Hi Meo,

Have you considered the option of a separate towable small RV that would allow you to keep your car and use it to tow the small RV? My understanding is a towable RV generally costs less than a van/RV. You can park the RV and take off on a day trip, while keeping your boondocking spot.

The other advantage to a towable RV, is if/when an RV conversion van breaks down or needs servicing or repairs, which does happen, you're left without your 'home' and vehicle until everything is fixed.
Unfortunately the Cube can't tow anything. I bought the Cube after the car accident and the only concerns I had at the time was the comfort in driving and the windows to see all around. I had no idea that I would ever even think of living or traveling in it and certainly never thought of towing anything. It took me a year after the accident to even drive again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing