Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2022, 09:46 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,083,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Thank you, mollybygolly.
Yes I was trying to be helpful and encouraging.

I've seen a Nissan cube, and my 5'5" male frame would not be comfortable in a cube.
Especially with a cat, tower and litterbox.

I've followed Meo since her idea of journey til now.

There are other alternatives, but if Meo doesn't want them, fine.

But what will she do when the cube dies?

Maybe I'll stop reading her messages.
Best
No need to take her response so personally! She has mentioned many times that she doesn't have a big budget but is saving up for a minivan (although I think she said she likely won't need it or get it for a few years). As she wrote,

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I did get that [galaxihi was trying to be helpful]. I just didn't understand the pricing, the 25 to 30k sh mentioned.

. I actually did have a small apartment size washer and it lasted all of a year, then it broke. It also used a lot of water, which I wouldn't feel comfortable using in the desert. Bob made that point in his videos on small washers.

Cheaprvliving just put up a video on utube highlighting some of the RTR events. Please watch it as I think you'll enjoy it.

One point Sueann made was that she bought a van because she was working so much out of her Prius but she missed the feeling of being in nature her car had given her.

That's how I feel about the Cube. I'm going to try live in it as long as I can, not only to save for a minivan but also because I love it. I met a woman who had put a Yakima roof rack and carrier on her small car and that's what I think I will get. It'll free up space and I can continue living in the Cube longer. It is pricey but will be worth it in the end.

I think it will be a good year or two before prices become more realistic.
For now, Meo clearly has the Cube set up to work well for her and the wonderful Marigold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2022, 02:13 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,614,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post

I am going to try Moto camping in a small group for the first time ever this summer. Only for a long weekend because I need to have a pet/house sitter for my animals. I'm excited but also a little scared, only because of how little I can bring on my bike. A cube is like a mansion compared to a motorcycle!
You'll do fine, who needs a shower on a long weekend. Get gritty and come home and take a half hour shower or bath!

Old 01-27-2022, 10:04 PM

7,049 posts, read 6,302,333 times
Karen You are a wonderful person.
After living the life I've had for the last few years, living in the Cube is not that hard. Sure, I would like more space but the reality is that to get something different will be tough right now. If I can hold on for just
another year or so things may look different.

It's not always easy living in this small space but I'm willing to wait until this pricing craziness slows down.

Old 01-28-2022, 06:24 PM

The thing that helps is having a small tent and a shower tent to store excess. That's the only thing about traveling, you have to keep everything in the vehicle.

As you all know, I plan on getting a larger vehicle BUT prices are crazy right now.

I would keep the build out I have now and just transfer it, then keep the Cube at the farm to use when I'm there. My brother really wants to buy it though and I know when I get another vehicle he'll probably talk me into it. I hope not, but I've got too big a heart and he'll probably talk me into it. Another reason I am not anxious to buy something else.

I forgot to mention something that's been happening here each night at sunset. There's a group that came in and every night at sunset they honk their horns. The first night I couldn't figure out what they were doing but now I look forward to it. It's kinda neat.

Old 01-31-2022, 06:29 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
...There's a group that came in and every night at sunset they honk their horns. The first night I couldn't figure out what they were doing but now I look forward to it. It's kinda neat.
Glad you are flexible

I worked in a noisy environment, so I go postal with unnecessary / optional noise.

If someone chose to ruin a beautiful and peaceful sunset, I'd be history in a second.

(Our kids never had radios / stereos)
If someone had a 'dis-allowed' radio at work... it suddenly disappeared or quit working (missing plug on the cord).

Each to their own,
I better stay 'off in the boonies' on my own.

(Memories of liviing in Thailand... Disco to 3AM, dogfights at 4AM, roosters before sunrise, scooters dawn to dark.)

Old 01-31-2022, 09:38 AM

18,114 posts, read 15,696,543 times
I've been watching some Bob Wells videos on youtube, where he interviews people and shows their setups for living in a car, a small van, a larger van, and he even interviewed his assistant, who put together her van build in 10 days. She didn't do any built-ins, which was the secret to her getting on the road quickly. She did have a Dometic fan installed in one of the back van windows, and solar panel on top.

All very interesting and creative.

Old 02-02-2022, 09:19 AM

6,590 posts, read 4,982,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Glad you are flexible

I worked in a noisy environment, so I go postal with unnecessary / optional noise.

If someone chose to ruin a beautiful and peaceful sunset, I'd be history in a second.

(Our kids never had radios / stereos)
If someone had a 'dis-allowed' radio at work... it suddenly disappeared or quit working (missing plug on the cord).

Each to their own,
I better stay 'off in the boonies' on my own.

(Memories of liviing in Thailand... Disco to 3AM, dogfights at 4AM, roosters before sunrise, scooters dawn to dark.)
I'm with you! I'm of the belief that one should be able to listen to music in their cubical or on their deck, but their neighbors shouldn't be able to hear it. It's completely possible, I worked in a group that did this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I've been watching some Bob Wells videos on youtube, where he interviews people and shows their setups for living in a car, a small van, a larger van, and he even interviewed his assistant, who put together her van build in 10 days. She didn't do any built-ins, which was the secret to her getting on the road quickly. She did have a Dometic fan installed in one of the back van windows, and solar panel on top.

All very interesting and creative.
Do you have a link to that video? Sounds wonderful!

Old 02-02-2022, 10:44 AM

18,114 posts, read 15,696,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post

Do you have a link to that video? Sounds wonderful!
It's not just one video, it's a series of videos/interviews Bob Wells has done. This is found on Youtube: CheapRVliving

Old 02-02-2022, 12:53 PM

There's also some interesting videos from the RTR on van builds.

Old 02-03-2022, 07:10 AM

Wow, wind was terrible yesterday. It's still not good and it's cold. Will get better but will take awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing