Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2021, 07:39 PM

7,040 posts, read 6,289,652 times

Advertisements

I'm worried about Marigold if I have to spend time in the hospital. My family will feed her but they won't take her in. So she'll be in this trailer, I'm worried she'll be scared and not understanding what's going on for however long it takes.

I know I spoil her. I think she should be spoiled after what she went through. I also know I'm probably over thinking this. I just don't want her to be traumatized by any of this. She's been through enough.

She knows something is going on. She's laying across my lap right now. She's been doing that for the last couple nights. She hasn't done that in a long time.

That's my only real concern, that she won't be taken care of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2021, 09:15 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Understand your concern, but Pets, like children are far more capable and resilient than their "parents". Cats lead the route to capable and independent.

Do you have any neighbors who could board Marigold for a few days?

We travel 50% of the time. Cats go to neighbors barn (on their own)
Dog stays home to do his farm and watchdog duties. Neighbors check in on both every few days, and we provide neighbors with a fund for pet care and food and trouble.

There are very well paid boutique pet services that will provide whatever, where and when you want. We have friends in Belgium who fly to Japan a few months / yr for last 12 yrs to provide pet care to a special needs pet.

Old 09-02-2021, 11:02 AM

Both my brother and sister live on the farm in separate houses. Both have cats of their own. Marigold does not like or get along with other animals so she will be staying in the trailer. She'll lose the freedom of going outside. As I said,I spoil her.

She'll survive just won't be happy. I don't even know how long I'll be away. Maybe only overnight. I'll make sure she has plenty of food and treats but I've never left her alone at night.

We don't have boutique anything here. This is deep country farm land. Even though all of us spent our working years in cities, we quickly reverted to farm life as it was my grandparents farm before my brothers bought it from our grandmother. We all spent many summers here.

Old 09-02-2021, 12:37 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,017,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Both my brother and sister live on the farm in separate houses. Both have cats of their own. Marigold does not like or get along with other animals so she will be staying in the trailer. She'll lose the freedom of going outside. As I said,I spoil her.

She'll survive just won't be happy. I don't even know how long I'll be away. Maybe only overnight. I'll make sure she has plenty of food and treats but I've never left her alone at night.

We don't have boutique anything here. This is deep country farm land. Even though all of us spent our working years in cities, we quickly reverted to farm life as it was my grandparents farm before my brothers bought it from our grandmother. We all spent many summers here.
I use to travel a lot with my job I had 2 cats at the time and they would be fine for 2-3 days. One would know when I was leaving and would get in my suitcase and refuse to leave but would be fine when I got home. Lots of windows to look out - extra food placed throughout the house that they would have to search out (they did) and an extra litter box. She'll be fine. Our temps are cooler now so that won't be an issue.

Old 09-02-2021, 05:40 PM

It's definitely cooler now. It's been raining since sometime in the middle of the night/early morning. It goes in spurts between a light rain and a heavy one. It would be a good thing because the grass is finally green but, alas, some fields have had to just be plowed under because it hadn't rained in so long. Many Farmers are going to take a beating this year.

Marigold keeps bugging me to go outside but when I open the door, she jumps away because of the rain.

The forecast shows rain throughout the rest of the day. Hopefully it will clear up by tomorrow.

Still no doctor call today, sigh.

Old 09-03-2021, 04:48 PM

The clinic finally called and I have an appointment with the surgeon for next Thursday. Unfortunately I have to have a CT done before that which I can get done on Wednesday. So, either I drive there 2days in a row, which is probably what I'll do, or get a motel for a night.

I assumed this was a consultation and the actual operation will be later but, as usual, I forgot to ask. So I will call them back on Monday to make sure. That's usually the way it works though.

I wish they could have done both on the same day but the surgeon wants the results before he sees me. They also need blood work done even though I had blood drawn at my initial doctor appointment in July, they need a special test to make sure my kidneys are okay because they use a dye for the actual operation.

I really don't understand why they need more blood work but I'll do whatever it takes to get this done.

I also don't look forward to the drive. Fargo is a tough town to drive in and I don't know it well enough to know where I'm going. In a sense it's a good thing that I'll have an opportunity to find the clinic prior to the doctor appointment. It sounds like the lab and the clinic are in 2 separate buildings.

It seems silly that I'm worried about the driving when I did so much of it this past year. Then again, there wasn't a time frame when I had to be somewhere.

Old 09-04-2021, 01:59 AM

17,634 posts, read 22,630,766 times
Meo, i'm happy you got your surgeon appt date. I pray everything works out positively for you with the procedure you will need.
You might have to call them on Tuesday. I don't know if anyone will be there on Monday (Labor Day).

The cardiac surgeon did an Angioplasty balloon procedure on me when i had a heart attack, in 1995. Fortunately it has held up for me. Since 1995, my veterans doctor has had me taking daily, Atenolol/ Lisinopril/ aspirin/ vitamin d/ fish oil tabs/ vit c.
I take Simvastatin daily , which my doc says helps keep my arteries clear, & is for the cholesterol.
I carry around some Nitroglycerin in my pocket, in case i might need one.

Be Safe & in good health...
Drive Safely.

Old 09-04-2021, 03:24 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,062,046 times
Meo, just wanted to say I will be thinking of you next week and wishing you the best at the clinic and surgeon's office.

I had 2 major surgeries in 2020 that were huge deals to me but completely routine for the surgeon. I kept reminding myself of that when bad thoughts would enter my head!

And Marigold will be fine even if you have to leave her alone for a day or two. I think we forget how much kitties sleep. She'll miss you during her waking hours, I'm sure, but you'll be back before she has time to fret too much.

Old 09-04-2021, 05:32 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,035,099 times
Hi meo - sending you positive vibes from upstate NY. I did want to mention something on the off-chance your area may have a similar service. I work in healthcare policy and our local social services team up with rural county services to get people to doctor appointments. A lot of people don't know these services exist, or if they are aware of them, they think they live too far to receive them and are pleasantly surprised. Always worth looking into...you never know.

Old 09-04-2021, 04:50 PM

Thanks to all for the responses. I was just talking to my sister and her friend did have to go to Fargo also. Everything went fine with her so I'm trusting it will for me.

It will be so nice to not have the tingling and leg pain. I might even be able to walk better.

I don't know how I could have forgotten that it's labor day Monday. I didn't even go to the fall festival this year, which was today, because it's too hard to walk much. I hope this helps that. Even walking a little better would be nice.

Fingers crossed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing