Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2021, 07:54 AM

7,034 posts, read 6,287,208 times

Advertisements

Brrr, it's 32° this morning. Thankfully my sister has a small portable heater which warms this place up nicely. It would work in the car but sucks juice. I'm not sure how much it uses and haven't tried it on my power station but I'm sure it takes a lot more than my 300 watt could handle. Besides, if it can keep this travel trailer warm, it would be way too much for my little car!

I'm so anxious to get on the road. I'll keep busy getting the car together over the next few days though. Now that my orders have come in from Amazon, I can start getting things ready.

The packing cubes will work great. I'll use them for clothes but mainly for the food packets I bought. I have at least a two months supply plus a three months supply of the cat food Marigold likes. The last two times I've been shopping her food was out of stock but I did have a supply. When I saw on the news that shortages were expected and saw that Amazon had it, I stocked up. In fact, I ordered another two months, which won't be here until right before we leave, just to make sure I have enough. Those will fit nicely in the cubes too.

I'm so amazed and thankful for the ideas other travelers have shared on utube. I hadn't thought of the plastic hanging shoe rack until I saw it being used. Then I scratched my head wondering how I was going to secure it and sure enough, saw one being secured to the head rest with bungee cords. Problem solved.

When I traveled last time, I kept misplacing things, which was very frustrating. Now those things will go into the shoe holder and be plainly visible. Another great find I would never have thought of is a usb flashlight. I actually have a few flashlights as they were something I kept misplacing so had to rebuy, but a usb one which can be recharged is a wonderful idea. It's powerful too. I was amazed at the light it puts out. Yup, all the flashlights will go in the shoe holder. Hairbrush? Shoe holder, etc.

I don't think I could have done this before we had internet access. Maybe, but it wouldn't have been easy. And as much as the pandemic has hurt us, it also led to sharing innovative ideas people have posted. This created an income for them and helped with solving problems for a lot of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2021, 08:40 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
I've been collecting flashlights for a long time. I've had my usb flashlight about 1-2 years. It' the brightest of my small fl. It's a Thorfire VG-15S, 4.75" long...from Amazon.

Old 10-17-2021, 07:58 AM

I didn't know they existed until now.

Amazon has depleted some of my savings but I bet I'll be happy when I'm on the road and don't have to worry about food, lights, power, etc. Because of what I bought now, I can probably bank at least a few months checks before shopping again. I'll have gas and water and that's it. And once I'm with the group at Quartzsite, we'll move every two weeks so won't be much in gas. I think even trash disposal is free and that will be dumped when we move.

Old 10-17-2021, 11:16 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I didn't know they existed until now.

Amazon has depleted some of my savings but I bet I'll be happy when I'm on the road and don't have to worry about food, lights, power, etc. Because of what I bought now, I can probably bank at least a few months checks before shopping again. I'll have gas and water and that's it. And once I'm with the group at Quartzsite, we'll move every two weeks so won't be much in gas. I think even trash disposal is free and that will be dumped when we move.
Meo, I'm really looking forward to hearing about your travels with a group! I expect that it will be wonderful in a lot of ways but maybe not quite all ways.

I think you'll be leaving November 3rd ... when is your next/last surgery?

Old 10-17-2021, 01:35 PM

October 20th is when I'm scheduled. Two days in the hospital if all goes well, then at least five days before I can be active or drive.

I'm finishing up the cleaning and putting what I can in the car. It's going to be a tight fit because I'll have so much extra but I didn't want to take the chance that stores would be out of stock on things.

I bought as much collapsible items that I could think of to save space, a bucket and dishpan/cutting board combo, for example and the gallon Ziploc bags have really reduced the food packets storage but it's still going to be tight. There are certain things that I want to keep in the front, on the floor. The Jackery and the Hot Logic for example. I also bought a small plug in pot for heating water, mainly for coffee and oatmeal. I was going to get a collapsible one but, as much as some people love them there is a risk of their tipping over and Marigold roams in the car so I got one that looks like a steel thermos that you have to use the lever to pour. I think it'll be safer for her.

I didn't really want to but I ordered a pop-up tent. That way I can, 1. Put it up myself and 2, I can store things in it to give me room in the car. I'm so close to being ready to go, getting anxious and want this over and done.

Old 10-17-2021, 01:59 PM

I am debating going to a LTVA and visiting with the group instead of traveling with them. I'm such a loner, I'm not positive I'll fit in. At $180 for the season I certainly can afford it. I'll decide when I get there I guess.

I forgot I have a shower tent so I cancelled the pop up tent. Whether I camp with a group of stay at a LTVA, that will handle any overflow. Way too much going on in my life right now and I'm not thinking straight.

Last edited by meo92953; 10-17-2021 at 02:16 PM..

Old 10-18-2021, 08:09 AM

I almost forgot I have to get pre-op bloodwork done so I'm off to do that now. I feel grungy as I'm waiting to take a shower until tonight. I have to take one tonight and another tomorrow night with antiseptic soap. I'll also wash all bedding today, before my shower, to ensure it's as germ free as I can make it.

Plenty of instructions on what you have to do beforehand.

Old 10-18-2021, 05:06 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
One handy thing I remember from our family camping trips many many moons ago, is those little single serving cereal boxes were perforated on the side where you could open the box that way and use it as a bowl. At that time the bag inside was the foil bag. All you had to do was open the box like I mentioned, take a knife and open the bag, and add milk. With using plastic spoons you didn't have anything to clean up when you were done.

Old 10-18-2021, 09:55 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
October 20, i will be praying your operation is very successful & solves the pain you have, & what you expect it to.
Be Safe.

Heal Quickly, so you & Marigold can hit the Hiways & Byways...

Old 10-19-2021, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
One handy thing I remember from our family camping trips many many moons ago, is those little single serving cereal boxes were perforated on the side where you could open the box that way and use it as a bowl. At that time the bag inside was the foil bag. All you had to do was open the box like I mentioned, take a knife and open the bag, and add milk. With using plastic spoons you didn't have anything to clean up when you were done.
I remember those. They were a special treat when I was young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing