Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2022, 02:06 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,614,894 times

Advertisements

I do admire you Meo, for being able to live in such a small space. That must be very challenging. I have watched Carolyn's RV Life, Nomadic Fanatic, My Basic Journey, The cat lady VAN, a few of Ad-van-tures Over 50, Mariah Alice, VANCITY VANLIFE, Bob Wells, and a few others too. Something to pass the time in winter while I dream of touring much of the southwest one of these years.
This is an interesting car living setup: https://www.3dotzero.nl/en/micabox/ Some of the basic ideas could be used without ordering from them of course.

I do like some of the vloggers (or whatever they're called) for entertainment, but I do like My Basic Journey because she is low key, not pretentious at all, and manages in a van (with a tiny dog). I think adding a cat is more difficult because they only go in a litter box most of the time. I like watching her because she is obviously roughing it on a hundred thousand or more less than someone like Nomadic Fanatic. When money is endless it's not really a challenge, so those videos are far less captivating. What interests people is seeing how someone makes it on so very little. Have you thought about your own youtube channel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2022, 02:10 PM

18,113 posts, read 15,690,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Unfortunately the Cube can't tow anything. I bought the Cube after the car accident and the only concerns I had at the time was the comfort in driving and the windows to see all around. I had no idea that I would ever even think of living or traveling in it and certainly never thought of towing anything. It took me a year after the accident to even drive again.
Ah okay. That would require a larger vehicle to tow something. I like the idea of a separate towable RV that decouples the vehicle and the trailer, so each can be used independently or whatever is wanted. However, I also see the beauty and advantage of a converted van that is self-contained.

I saw tent-like structures that attach to the back of a hatchback or SUV to expand the living space once one has settled into a camp site; I only mention it as a point of interest/coolness factor for those who prefer car camping.

Old 01-23-2022, 05:14 PM

7,049 posts, read 6,302,333 times
I've seen the car tents and like the look. I'm not sure they make one for a side opener. The one I have seen are for hatchbacks. Also, that's the only light I haven't figured out how to turn off, as I can with the front so as to not accidentally let my battery run down.

Again, I never thought I'd be doing this with the Cube and was only looking for comfort in driving.

It sure has been a good car though.

Old 01-23-2022, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
I do admire you Meo, for being able to live in such a small space. That must be very challenging. I have watched Carolyn's RV Life, Nomadic Fanatic, My Basic Journey, The cat lady VAN, a few of Ad-van-tures Over 50, Mariah Alice, VANCITY VANLIFE, Bob Wells, and a few others too. Something to pass the time in winter while I dream of touring much of the southwest one of these years.
This is an interesting car living setup: https://www.3dotzero.nl/en/micabox/ Some of the basic ideas could be used without ordering from them of course.

I do like some of the vloggers (or whatever they're called) for entertainment, but I do like My Basic Journey because she is low key, not pretentious at all, and manages in a van (with a tiny dog). I think adding a cat is more difficult because they only go in a litter box most of the time. I like watching her because she is obviously roughing it on a hundred thousand or more less than someone like Nomadic Fanatic. When money is endless it's not really a challenge, so those videos are far less captivating. What interests people is seeing how someone makes it on so very little. Have you thought about your own youtube channel?
I adore My Basic Journey. I may look into having a channel at some point. I'm not sure what it all entails though and do I want to put the money into equipment? Saving for a larger vehicle is my goal at this point.

The micabox is interesting. You're right about the catbox situation. Marigolds is even larger than most because I have the Breeze system which really reduces odor. But, she came first before I even had an idea about this lifestyle.

Old 01-23-2022, 07:47 PM

I just thought of how I finally found out about the Yakima roof rack and car carrier. As much research that I had done, it was through another nomad at the RTR and seeing her setup and asking her to walk me through it that I finally found what I was looking for.

That's the way it is out here on the road, nomads helping other nomads. Even now, on my second year, I find it amazing how people in this lifestyle are so willing to help each other and share their knowledge. I find it amazing.and I love it.

Old 01-23-2022, 07:48 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,154,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post

She has shown up on my youtube feed. Love her dog Joey. She does seem real and lives to suit her mental health issues which she is very open about. She seems happy and content in her life, I wish her the best.

I am going to try Moto camping in a small group for the first time ever this summer. Only for a long weekend because I need to have a pet/house sitter for my animals. I'm excited but also a little scared, only because of how little I can bring on my bike. A cube is like a mansion compared to a motorcycle!

Old 01-24-2022, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
She has shown up on my youtube feed. Love her dog Joey. She does seem real and lives to suit her mental health issues which she is very open about. She seems happy and content in her life, I wish her the best.

I am going to try Moto camping in a small group for the first time ever this summer. Only for a long weekend because I need to have a pet/house sitter for my animals. I'm excited but also a little scared, only because of how little I can bring on my bike. A cube is like a mansion compared to a motorcycle!
Wow-going on a bike is awesome. Bob Wells did an interview with a person who traveled on one. I can't remember when but it way quite awhile ago. Very interesting.

Good luck and have fun.

Old 01-24-2022, 06:33 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,154,762 times
Quote:
Wow-going on a bike is awesome. Bob Wells did an interview with a person who traveled on one. I can't remember when but it way quite awhile ago. Very interesting.

Good luck and have fun.
I will have to look that guy up. I follow a 30 something year old that motocamps in the north/south east.

Old 01-26-2022, 05:49 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,493,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybygolly View Post
I think galaxi was just sharing information and trying to be helpful and encouraging
Thank you, mollybygolly.
Yes I was trying to be helpful and encouraging.

I've seen a Nissan cube, and my 5'5" male frame would not be comfortable in a cube.
Especially with a cat, tower and litterbox.

I've followed Meo since her idea of journey til now.

There are other alternatives, but if Meo doesn't want them, fine.

But what will she do when the cube dies?

Maybe I'll stop reading her messages.
Best

Old 01-27-2022, 05:21 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,493,317 times
Quote:
I think I'll explore Florida next fall, if there's camping available. I believe I've heard of state or national parks that are free or low cost. I'll explore that over the summer.

I need somewhere warmer before I come to Arizona, possibly come here in February rather than October. Of course, Texas is high on the list too.
Meo, here's some advice (that hopefully you won't get irritated by from me);

If you really plan on going to Florida next fall/winter, please start making reservations NOW.

Do you have a US park pass? Put it to work.

Check out both camping facilities and national park s.

But, I would definitely start lining up reservations, And even now, you might find a lot already booked.

Best to you as you continue your journey!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing