Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2022, 12:45 PM

4,609 posts, read 3,000,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
It's amazed me that people still find it interesting
You have a fan base, Meo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2022, 06:08 PM

7,044 posts, read 6,298,150 times
I don't know what to say to that.

Until I leave here towards the end of the month it's going to be pretty boring. I'm trying to save on gas as much as possible.

This is the time where living in the country has really come in handy as we knew to stock up on the important things. We never knew when the roads would be plowed in the winter so we kept the pantry and freezers stocked.

So glad I bought enough to get me by until I get home. I'll probably still have some food left. I stocked up because of what was happening with the ships that weren't being unloaded. At the time I didn't care how long it took to get things as I had plenty of time before I left on this current journey.

Pahrump has a lot more stores than Quartzsite, including a Walmart.

I wanted to visit Pahrump last year and travel that way home but my Tennessee brother wanted to see me so I took that route instead.

I look forward to working with HOWA and the rest of the volunteers. The only concern I have is that they may want me to work on spreadsheets in Excel and I haven't done that for over 10 years.

I used to be pretty good at it but who knows what has changed over the years. They may not need me for that but they were very interested in knowing my computer background.

We'll see what happens. I'll help where I can.

Old 03-15-2022, 10:52 PM

I've been rereading the posts ever since it was mentioned in the retirement forum and I' currently on page 97. Still have a long, long way to go.

What impresses me the most is how helpful and supportive you all have been.

I couldn't do this without that support.

I feel as if I've been negative lately and I think it's because I feel stifled about what's happening lately.

Waiting to go to Pahrump is hard. HOWA will be sending out coordinates sometime after March 20 and I'll have a better idea of where and when to go. I'm excited, yet I'm apprehensive.

What if the other volunteers don't like me? What if I don't get along with them?

From rereading my posts, I see some instances where I had to move away from people. Mostly because they were users in some form or another... but still, how/why did I leave myself open to these people? Is there a flaw in my makeup, something that states "vulnerable one here"

I don't know. Even in this spot, the guy that insisted I take the salad. He used to walk his dog 3-4 times on the way to the bathroom. He hasn't done that since I told him, harshly, not to do it again.

My brother thinks he was trying to hit on me and I destroyed his hopes . It's possible, I suppose.

I think I hurt his feelings but, still and all, he shouldn't have done that.

What do all of you think?

Old 03-16-2022, 02:59 PM

Remember the BOLT charger I bought quite some time ago?

Well, I'm happy to report that it worked like a charm today. Don't know why my battery died but it did this morning. The charger hadn't held the charge from October and I hadn't even taken it out of the box. The instructions said it could take up to 6 hours to charge but, guess what, the jackery charged it in about 4.

Since I'd never charged my battery by myself, I was a little leery but the BOLT started it right up. For being such a compact gizmo, it sure has power. It even has USB ports for other things and comes with jumper cables that were easy to use.

I'm going to let the car run for awhile and then I have to go to the store. At least I know I can restart it if/when I have to. I think I'll make a practice of keeping it charged, just as I do the power stations.

One more thing I conquered, thanks to utube reviews that said it was good.

I've always gotten help from guys and I appreciated it but sure glad to know I can take care of things by myself.

Old 03-16-2022, 03:25 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Each day there is something new here. The wind has been so brutal that it's hard to get things done.

Being in such a small space, I have to keep on top of things on a daily basis. But, it's been hard to do that with the wind. I try to get as much as possible done when the wind behaves. But it's been tough.

I'm not complaining as I know the weather has been difficult everywhere. It's a matter of learning to do things differently. I get things done as early as possible whenever I can.

It doesn't help that Marigold sleeps on the blankets and I can't fix the bedding until she eats or goes outside. Unfortunately, the eating part is often when the wind has been at it's worse. So it's been hit or miss.

I would like to take things out and totally repack things but I am afraid things would fly away in the wind.

Ah, the joys of Quartzsite in this weather.
Does how windy it is or isn't effect Marigold wanting to go outside or be outside ?

Old 03-16-2022, 03:43 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,344,393 times
Quote:

I feel as if I've been negative lately and I think it's because I feel stifled about what's happening lately.

Waiting to go to Pahrump is hard. HOWA will be sending out coordinates sometime after March 20 and I'll have a better idea of where and when to go. I'm excited, yet I'm apprehensive.

What if the other volunteers don't like me? What if I don't get along with them?

From rereading my posts, I see some instances where I had to move away from people. Mostly because they were users in some form or another... but still, how/why did I leave myself open to these people? Is there a flaw in my makeup, something that states "vulnerable one here"

I don't know. Even in this spot, the guy that insisted I take the salad. He used to walk his dog 3-4 times on the way to the bathroom. He hasn't done that since I told him, harshly, not to do it again.

My brother thinks he was trying to hit on me and I destroyed his hopes . It's possible, I suppose.

I think I hurt his feelings but, still and all, he shouldn't have done that.

What do all of you think?
First, don't stress out over whether they like you or not. Be yourself.

As for the flaw in your makeup, solo travelers tend to attract certain types who think they are "helping". It's not a flaw, it's just life. I think you are handling yourself just fine, listen to that inner voice, it won't mislead you.

As for the salad guy... if he doesn't take hints, well i don't know what to say about that. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

You are living a lot of people's dreams, try to go back to enjoying the scenery. And Marigold of course.

Old 03-16-2022, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Does how windy it is or isn't effect Marigold wanting to go outside or be outside ?
Yes, she doesn't go out as much. But, she didn't go out much when it was so cold in Minnesota either.

It's hot here and that will continue until Sunday. I, for one, am appreciating the breeze. It's a cool breeze which counteracts the heat.

Old 03-16-2022, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
First, don't stress out over whether they like you or not. Be yourself.

As for the flaw in your makeup, solo travelers tend to attract certain types who think they are "helping". It's not a flaw, it's just life. I think you are handling yourself just fine, listen to that inner voice, it won't mislead you.

As for the salad guy... if he doesn't take hints, well i don't know what to say about that. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

You are living a lot of people's dreams, try to go back to enjoying the scenery. And Marigold of course.
Thanks for that.

That's the problem with being raised to always be nice. I let people get away with doing things I don't want them to do.
But, I'm learning to be more assertive. It does help that I can just move if I really want to or feel the need to.

I'm sure I'll get along with most of the group at the van build. What I miss most about not working at nonprofits is the coming together for the betterment of the people we served.

That's what I'm hoping will happen with this group.

Old 03-16-2022, 05:20 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Remember the BOLT charger I bought quite some time ago?

Well, I'm happy to report that it worked like a charm today. Don't know why my battery died but it did this morning. The charger hadn't held the charge from October and I hadn't even taken it out of the box. The instructions said it could take up to 6 hours to charge but, guess what, the jackery charged it in about 4.

Since I'd never charged my battery by myself, I was a little leery but the BOLT started it right up. For being such a compact gizmo, it sure has power. It even has USB ports for other things and comes with jumper cables that were easy to use.

I'm going to let the car run for awhile and then I have to go to the store. At least I know I can restart it if/when I have to. I think I'll make a practice of keeping it charged, just as I do the power stations.

One more thing I conquered, thanks to utube reviews that said it was good.

I've always gotten help from guys and I appreciated it but sure glad to know I can take care of things by myself.
Meo, I'm a long time follower of your threads, but have never commented. The bolded quote is why I've so admired you.

Old 03-16-2022, 05:33 PM

18,096 posts, read 15,676,604 times
Resourcefulness

Tech gadgets playing nice

My car has to be powered on and allowed to run to keep the battery full, at least every 2 weeks. It's rare that I've ever gone that long, but in early covid days I think I did a few times, as I only went to the grocery store, and I'd stock up. A dead battery is a drag (literally).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing