Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2023, 12:39 PM

7,049 posts, read 6,302,333 times

Advertisements

It then started sprinkling rather than raining so I decided I was being a wuss and that I could drive further. What a terrible drive that was.

No sooner did I get back on the highway when the rain started being serious again. I drove until just now, 3 hours later. I tried to stop sooner there were no rest areas and I missed the one Love's I saw. Finally I saw another one and here I am.

I've got to investigate rest areas in Arkansas as I have a long way to go yet before I get to Oklahoma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2023, 12:59 PM

Google did a good thing in my reroute today.. I was on I40, traffic was crawling and Google directed me to a small country highway and took me around it.

I haven't watched all the news but know it was a horrible drive trying to get through the rain so I don't doubt there were accidents.

I checked out the rest areas and there is one not too far from where. They're open 24 hours and allow overnight parking so if it is like today, I will just pull in and stay put.
I've got to watch Ryan Hall y'all to get the updates on this front. All I have to do is get past it and then it's smooth sailing.

Old 10-28-2023, 05:52 PM

6,590 posts, read 4,982,629 times
Oil - you should be fine as long as the level is good

How many miles do you typically go between changes?

How often does the manufacturer say to go between changes?

Old 10-28-2023, 07:14 PM

This is a new to me vehicle and it was changed at the dealership. I normally do oil changes every 5,000 miles.

The visit to Tennessee was not in the original plan and all I thought of was my brother. At that point I was uner 4,000 so not thinking of oil changes. It was only when I realized Nashville was over 1,000 miles from Fergus Falls that I started paying attention.

So it's now due but right at this moment I am more concerned with what the weather is doing and getting away from it than anything else.

I just thought of something though. The rest area is only 32 miles from where I am and I'm certain it will be manned by locals. They can recommend somewhere for me to get it done.

Thanks for helping me put my thinking cap on!

Old 10-28-2023, 07:17 PM

Prior to the Cube and now this car, I always had older cars. They always lasted far longer than they should have because I had them serviced regularly. If the Cube hadn't been drowned, I'm sure it would have lasted another 10 years.

Old 10-28-2023, 08:29 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,907,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Prior to the Cube and now this car, I always had older cars. They always lasted far longer than they should have because I had them serviced regularly. If the Cube hadn't been drowned, I'm sure it would have lasted another 10 years.

Drowned?

Old 10-29-2023, 06:15 AM

2,106 posts, read 3,013,928 times
Back in May meo was driving in a storm and ended up in a ditch The cube was totaled.

Old 10-29-2023, 06:47 AM

6,590 posts, read 4,982,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
This is a new to me vehicle and it was changed at the dealership. I normally do oil changes every 5,000 miles.

The visit to Tennessee was not in the original plan and all I thought of was my brother. At that point I was uner 4,000 so not thinking of oil changes. It was only when I realized Nashville was over 1,000 miles from Fergus Falls that I started paying attention.

So it's now due but right at this moment I am more concerned with what the weather is doing and getting away from it than anything else.

I just thought of something though. The rest area is only 32 miles from where I am and I'm certain it will be manned by locals. They can recommend somewhere for me to get it done.

Thanks for helping me put my thinking cap on!
I've always planned mine for 3K and if it goes over it's not a big deal (that was an old car). Newer cars go much longer. I can't remember what your new car is but I don't expect you're in the "heavy load on the engine" category (usually stop and go like taxis).

So I would get it done when you can but don't stress over a few miles over

Old 10-29-2023, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdurncat13 View Post
Back in May meo was driving in a storm and ended up in a ditch The cube was totaled.
That was more than a storm. I'd never seen anything like it in my life!
They have a saying there that I didn't know about. It's, Turn around, don't drown. I think they should post it on the road, like they do for dust storms in Arizona.

It was scary. And the poor Cube paid the price. R I p Cube.

Old 10-29-2023, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I've always planned mine for 3K and if it goes over it's not a big deal (that was an old car). Newer cars go much longer. I can't remember what your new car is but I don't expect you're in the "heavy load on the engine" category (usually stop and go like taxis).

So I would get it done when you can but don't stress over a few miles over
The older cars were 3,000. I didn't know about the 5,000 rule until I got the Cube. And I always put the best oil in so I started going with the new rule. The sticker they put on also advises when to do it.

This one is a 2017 Dodge Grand Caravan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing