Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2023, 04:06 PM

7,049 posts, read 6,302,333 times

Advertisements

They gave me antibiotics and I have stayed longer than I planned but have no choice now but to leave tomorrow. Everything I own, except what I am using today and tomorrow morning is in the car!
I'm only going about 200 miles tomorrow as I plan on following the Great River Road, the Mississippi, and staying overnight at Love's whenever possible. There are more the further south I go but few and far between in the Midwest.

My car is packed to the gills, I bought more food than I knew but loaded up on Amazon prime day. I do try to buy some local food but Quartzsite is pretty expensive and the plan is to save money, not spend so much.

This time I am bringing my yarn as I love to crochet. I have been making a few lap blankets and want to continue to do that. I found my legs and feet got the coldest while sitting in the car or outside in a camp chair so I made one for me and decided they would be a good contribution to HOWA at the RTR.

Giving makes me happy and so does being creative. It's a win-win for me.

I'll keep you up to date as I travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2023, 05:11 PM

Because of the packed car I may have to go to the LTVA'S. My tent was ruined last year in the wind so will have to pick up a cheap tent for storage but they're pretty cheap.
I'm not sure. I was thinking of Caravan traveling with the HOWA groups but the thought of packing up and moving every two weeks doesn't appeal to me right now. I'll decide when I get to Quartzsite.

The good thing is, with the new car I can spread out and sleep in the front seat. I did it in the Cube but it wasn't very comfortable. Traveling back from Texas in the Dodge Grand Caravan, which has the shift on the steering wheel, while the Cube had it on the floor, I was able to sleep comfortably.
Big difference.

Old 10-20-2023, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
Wow, you have been through a lot since I last checked on you. I really think you should consider writing a book.

Your thread became really confusing when it had to be "cleaned" up so I'm a little lost about Marigolds escape. I feel like her stories are a big part of RV travel because so many of us do actually travel with cats and stories like yours are very helpful on the things to do or avoid while traveling.

It's too bad mean peoples rude comments split your thread due to mod clean up of it. Everyone here knows how much you love your cat and what a great life she has with you.
I'm sorry I never responded to this.

Marigold was pretty upset about all the changes, as was I. She did not like the new car or the changes. When I went to get what I could salvage out of the Cube, she jumped out and would not be captured. She escaped and went through a hole in the fence.

I stayed for a few days and kept trying to find her but couldn't.

The wife of the owner of the tow shop is a cat lover so I hope they rescued her. I will be going through there again on my way to Arizona but I don't have high hopes of finding her. I just hope she was found and is with a good person. She is chipped but, who what happened to her.

Old 10-21-2023, 12:32 PM

Made it to the Love's. It's still early but I didn't sleep well last night and will probably just stay put. The antibiotics, even though I took them early enough, don't help with sleeping. They did warn me about that.
Complain, complain! At least I only have 1 more day of them.

It feels good to be back on the road. I have so missed this

Hopefully tomorrow I can go further.

Old 10-21-2023, 03:53 PM

3,263 posts, read 5,006,003 times
Take some probiotics or eat yogurt (or both!) to counteract those antibiotics. Antibiotics do a "scorched earth" job on your colon, so you need to put the good bacteria back in.

Old 10-22-2023, 05:09 PM

I had a salad and banana for supper tonight. I do have probiotics and will take them. Thank you.

Old 10-22-2023, 05:26 PM

What a disaster today! It was a beautiful day and there were a lot of people out enjoying the weather. Unfortunately, I think some of them were also enjoying beverages a little too much.

I had Google take me to routes not on freeways, trying to avoid Minneapolis and St Paul as they are stressful for me to drive through.
There was one road construction happening that was long and tedious. The mph dropped to 50 at times, shocking I know. Some people weren't threatened by the $300 fine they'd get if they didn't obey so there were a few that got pulled over, which slowed everything down. Then there were accidents I'm assuming caused by the people who were imbibing too much. I didn't see ambulances but did see some crashes.

The first stop I wanted to make didn't have any camping that they knew about so I ended up using freecampsites.net and found a Walmart that I could stay at. It was an additional 2 &1/2 hours of driving but I was getting worried about finding something so I just drove it.

I've decided to just get to Nashville as quickly as I can because Love's are usually on the major highways and I can do the Great River Road another time but my brother is now on hospice care and it's more important that I see him. He still has hopes he'll beat the cancer but he's the only one who does.

Old 10-23-2023, 06:04 AM

Finally got some decent sleep last night. I did wake up once at 3:00 but got back to sleep and slept untill 5:30. So that felt good.

I'm waiting for sunrise so I can route the trip and drive.

What I was saying yesterday about the nice weather and people enjoying it.. Fall is a delightful time anywhere but here in the Midwest we know those days are numbered. So people get out sas much as possible.

I'm not certain about other parts of the country but it seems to me that people in the small country towns do tend to not be cautious about drinking and driving. My brother says he doesn't like to drive after noon because they start so early.

I'm not certain about that but I find it very sad. So disrespectful of human life.

Old 10-23-2023, 12:45 PM

Stopped in Iowa at a Love's. It's early but I have been driving since 8:00 am and that's enough for one day. According to Google I have 10 hours left. So it will probably take mme2 days to get there. I can live with that.

I stopped at a Love's earlier for gas and coffee and almost wish I had only gotten the coffee because the kid who was working there didn't live up to Love's signature motto, which is 'Clesn Places, Friendly Faces.'

He didn't know prices, didn't smile and although he wasn't surly or anything, just wasn't as pleasant as it usually is. He's young though and maybe it's his first job. Hope his attitude changes or I doubt he'll last long.

Reputation is imperative for a company.

Old 10-24-2023, 01:02 PM

Made it to Missouri today. Another Love's. I have 6 hours left according to Google..

I talked to my brother this morning and he sounds so weak. His grandson answered the phone and said he was bedridden now but woke him to talk to me when I told him I would be there tomorrow. So glad I am doing this.

It's sad, yet, he wouldn't want to live like this, bedridden and weak. He was always so strong. I'll update this after I see him tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing