Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2020, 02:08 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times

Advertisements

Clever girl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2020, 02:48 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I've actually only been cold a couple of nights and even then, it's not been bad. I have 'Minnesota ' blankets/ coverings. Two sleeping bags (I've) only used one for covers and my quilt, which I can double.

Positioning the car to face away from the wind and flannel pajamas help too.

Today it is really windy and a lot of folks are staying inside. So thankful I have kindle unlimited! On days like this I just bundle up and read.

Having my cat snuggle up helps too.
It’s fun to think of you out there in the desert with books and cat and festive fairy lights to make it a party.

Old 11-29-2020, 08:05 AM

7,044 posts, read 6,295,966 times
Thanks Stepka. I haven't been socializing a lot and probably won't until this virus is under control so no real partying but the cat and books make it fun.

Old 11-30-2020, 07:32 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
I'm new to this thread and enjoy reading your updates. I have kicked around the idea of converting a van for camping, I could never live in it.

Regarding the solar power I assume you have a battery? Can you describe your set up? I'm really niave with regard to electricity, was it complex to figure out?

Old 11-30-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I'm new to this thread and enjoy reading your updates. I have kicked around the idea of converting a van for camping, I could never live in it.

Regarding the solar power I assume you have a battery? Can you describe your set up? I'm really niave with regard to electricity, was it complex to figure out?
I chose a power station over a battery. I just don't know enough and with such a little car I have to be careful of the room I have. A good lithium battery can run as much as $1000+

Old 11-30-2020, 01:55 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post

Not if you get one of the portable power stations. You just plug the appropriate things in, and that's easy to do because the connectors make it obvious what goes where.

Building your own system from scratch is noticeably more complicated. You wouldn't believe how esoteric the discussions get among real DIY afficionados.

By portable power station, I mean something like this - https://www.rockpals.com This is the brand I use, but there are others. They are all essentially a small lithium battery with the necessary charge controllers/inverters, etc built in. The smaller ones are fine additions for a van camping setup.

As Meo says, a stand-alone lithium battery will run around $1000. For that you get a lot more capacity and incredible life span. But they are overkill if you just want to keep your electronics charged and run a few LED lights.

And if backpacking is your thing, you can get mini-solar panels to keep your phone charged.

Last edited by jacqueg; 11-30-2020 at 02:04 PM..

Old 12-01-2020, 03:46 PM

Thanks for explaining, jacqueg. What min chargers, if any, do you use? I have a Halo but it did not hold up well.

Old 12-01-2020, 03:48 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Thanks for explaining, jacqueg. What min chargers, if any, do you use? I have a Halo but it did not hold up well.
Anker as a brand has a good reputation. I have two, both holding up well.

Old 12-09-2020, 06:39 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Meo - Just checking in with you. Does it get lonely with just your kitty? This covid stuff really causes problems in so many ways. Hope you're OK.

Old 12-10-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Meo - Just checking in with you. Does it get lonely with just your kitty? This covid stuff really causes problems in so many ways. Hope you're OK.
No. I'm at a Long Term Visitor Area and there's a group of us, being socially responsible, that are camped close - but not too close- to each other. While I was traveling here, the scenery kept me entertained.

I'm also an intervert and avid reader so I enjoy the solitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing