Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2021, 04:49 PM

7,044 posts, read 6,295,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
The last Dodge minivan to be built rolled off the line in April 2020.

Now to get a used one with less than 40k miles, then leave $3500 in the fund for a transmission replacement at about 157,000 miles. Then it will likely survive to 300,000 miles.

Nissan contactor models are likely robust, but stiff riding and less economy. And hard to find used with low miles.
This is why I'm taking my time. I'm not ready yet, it'll take more than a few months for me to build up the reserve I need. I did let my brother's know to be on the lookout.

If something excellent came along I would go ahead and get it but I think it's going to take some time, which I've got plenty of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2021, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
You might want to look into 4 cylinder Ford Transit vans.
I'm not ready for a van. A minivan, yes. There are some Utubers who have done great minivan builds.

I'm fairly certain I'll need to have something with a lot of windows. That's why I bought the Cube. I wanted something higher off the ground and windows all around so I could see all around me.

It also has to be comfortable to drive. Those are the things I noticed right off with the Cube. I've never driven such a comfortable car. I don't think I'll ever forget the day I bought her. After weeks of searching for a vehicle, I kept coming back to her picture on the dealers website.

I thought they wanted too much money though so I kept skipping by. Then, after trying out car after car and ending up with a backache for my trouble, I decided to take a look.

All it took was sitting in the seat and taking a test drive for me to fall in love. Not only was I comfortable, but I could see all around me. And my back didn't hurt. It's been over five years and I still love driving her.

That's probably why I can be patient now and wait for the right vehicle. I'll know it when I find it.

Old 01-31-2021, 08:30 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times
Smile Enjoy your travels!

I think you are very brave!

I can't drive anymore but I will look to read about your travels!

Old 02-07-2021, 06:02 PM

Time to check in. Still not doing much. I, and everyone I assume, am so, so tired of coviid restrictions. But, I still feel it's better to restrict myself.

I'm getting tired of being in the same spot but recognize that,for now, it's best. Two more months and I'll be headed back to Minnesota for the summer. Right now I shudder when I think of the temperature there and I'm glad I'm not there.

I'm not sure of my plans yet. Torn between going through Nevada, Oregon, Washington and over to Minnesota or to go east and see Tennessee, Louisiana and those states. Guess I'll figure it out when the time comes to go.

Old 02-07-2021, 06:46 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
It has never been this cold for this long. AAAARRRRRR!!!!!\

This will be my last winter here. By the time you get back here you should be able to get vaccinated - maybe. My clinic is still sayin there're working on 75+ and healthcare workers and they've been saying that for weeks. They could have vaccinated every healthcare worker and every 75+ in the whole state. I believe they are vaccinating all their friends and family members - attitude? Yes.

Anyway - nice to hear from you. Stay healthy & safe.

Old 02-07-2021, 07:44 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,439,526 times
Glad to hear you're doing OK, meo. I'm also tired of being in one place, but glad to be in a pretty place.

If you're into wide open spaces, not much traffic or people, and views for miles, I suggest going up the middle of Nevada, south to north, then you can swing over to OR & WA if you want.

Old 02-09-2021, 07:31 AM

I'm finally getting tired of staying here, even though it's for the best. Especially when I see what's happening in Minnesota.

Two more months tops.

Umbria, I talked to my brother and he said a lot of people from the Twin Cities are making appointments in Fergus for the vaccine, thus a lot of folks who live there can't get in. What a shame.

Hopefully by April/May there will be enough available.

Old 02-09-2021, 07:36 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
April is too early for PNW spring (mid May for flowering trees), can also be snow and cold. Fall is nice in PNW (barring fires). Late summer is superb in PNW.

I would go south and enjoy Dogwoods and flowers. Cemeteries in southern States can be very interesting and beautiful in the late spring. Lower Mississippi River and Civil war sites / Natchez Trail are very pretty and interesting and usually warm enough to car camp.

Old 02-09-2021, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
Glad to hear you're doing OK, meo. I'm also tired of being in one place, but glad to be in a pretty place.

If you're into wide open spaces, not much traffic or people, and views for miles, I suggest going up the middle of Nevada, south to north, then you can swing over to OR & WA if you want.
Quartzsite is almost a rite of passage it seems. I certainly don't regret coming here. Once I leave I want to explore Kingman and Oatman. Kingman is supposed to have a state park. Then I do want to see Oregon, Washington and Idaho. They are all beautiful states.

Old 02-09-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
April is too early for PNW spring (mid May for flowering trees), can also be snow and cold. Fall is nice in PNW (barring fires). Late summer is superb in PNW.

I would go south and enjoy Dogwoods and flowers. Cemeteries in southern States can be very interesting and beautiful in the late spring. Lower Mississippi River and Civil war sites / Natchez Trail are very pretty and interesting and usually warm enough to car camp.
Interesting. I came down from the South but there's a lot I didn't see that I wanted to. I'll have to keep my eye on the weather and make decisions closer to when I'm leaving here.

I do want to visit Padre Island in Texas and I never did go to Tennessee. I want to go through that entire state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing