Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Quebec Independence a Legitimate Movement?
Yes 147 65.04%
No 79 34.96%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 08:33 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Well that was fun!
Where have you been all this time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 08:41 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Where have you been all this time?
I've been lurking, here and there.

Interesting things bubbling up in this thread, but most we've heard before. Ah, Canada. " Quelques arpents de neige"

Old 02-09-2016, 08:53 PM

For the benefit of our new posters, I think it's worth mentioning that I am not originally from Quebec and that I was born and raised in Anglo-Canada. I've lived in several provinces and Ontario is the province where I've lived the longest and I spent many of my formative years there.

Though I've never had that persona online, I actually used to have a strong Canadian identity along the lines of Torontocheeka and Canada Number One.

What they're typing and thinking, I've typed and thought the exact same thing many times before.

Believe it or not.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:53 PM

854 posts, read 586,081 times
Quote:
You're looking at the entire thing from the premise of a logical fallacy. I guess it's because you need to latch onto something to explain Quebec and its politics and quirks to yourself.

I realize it's very hard for some people to understand why Quebecers don't just fall into line and want to be Canadians just like the others, given that (Anglo-)Canada is one of the world's most successful societies.

You're still barking up the wrong tree though.

To be honest, I really don't care about the quirks or alleged reasons other than disdain that Quebecois do not want to be in Canada. If they don't want to be in Canada, that's really all I need to know about them. I wouldn't necessarily expect the rest of Canada to sympathize with these "quirks," especially when Anglo-Canadians within the province are still being treated like second-class citizens and made to flee.

They can do whatever they want and hopefully it works out for them and their economy. But as I do believe in self-determination, I would support another referendum.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torontocheeka View Post
To be honest, I really don't care about the quirks or alleged reasons other than disdain that Quebecois do not want to be in Canada. If they don't want to be in Canada, that's really all I need to know about them. I wouldn't necessarily expect the rest of Canada to sympathize with these "quirks," especially when Anglo-Canadians within the province are still being treated like second-class citizens and made to flee.

They can do whatever they want and hopefully it works out for them and their economy. But as I do believe in self-determination, I would support another referendum.
You're very obviously still at pains to explain to yourself why a specific group is so unenthusiastic about seamlessly integrating and folding into what is by all accounts a great country.

I totally get it. I've been there.

Then I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb, as they said in Dr. Strangelove.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:24 PM

854 posts, read 586,081 times
Quote:
You're very obviously still at pains to explain to yourself why a specific group is so unenthusiastic about seamlessly integrating and folding into what is by all accounts a great country.

Then I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb, as they said in Dr. Strangelove.

Nope. I get it clear as day - Quebecois do not consider themselves Canadians. Just as Canadians do not consider themselves Americans, except with the inconvenient quirk of us actually being a sovereign nation for the better part of two centuries, unlike Quebec.

If Quebecois do not consider themselves to be Canadians - let them vote themselves out of Canada. What's not to understand?

Referendum 2016! Viva la revolución!

Old 02-09-2016, 11:02 PM

542 posts, read 503,269 times
Quote:

I've been there too. I don't think I was as deeply prejudiced as Cheeka and Canada number one, but those kinds of stances are common among people who feel out of place and are looking for acceptance. I saw a version ultra nationalism from many minorities when I was working in Toronto who seemed like they were trying to convince themselves more than anyone else that Canada is the utopia they think it should be. Quebec is a favorite target because our ambivalence about Canada is probably the biggest indicator that Canada isn't the multicultural paradise that they want it to be. The US is the other favorite target because...well let's just say that the inferiority complex can cut deep into the ultra nationalist ego.

Old 02-10-2016, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torontocheeka View Post
Nope. I get it clear as day - Quebecois do not consider themselves Canadians. Just as Canadians do not consider themselves Americans, except with the inconvenient quirk of us actually being a sovereign nation for the better part of two centuries, unlike Quebec.

If Quebecois do not consider themselves to be Canadians - let them vote themselves out of Canada. What's not to understand?

Referendum 2016! Viva la revolución!
We've made a tiny bit of progress.

Wanting Quebec independence is not generally about hate.

Not feeling Canadian is not about hate either.

I don't feel Russian, German, American, French or Mexican but that does not mean I hate those people.

And BTW many people in Quebec do feel Canadian to some degree but not in the same way other Canadians do. With Quebec as the main home nation and Canada as a larger less concrete entity they do still belong to. Kind of like the European Union. Some people in the rest of Canada see this as a big problem. Or at least something they are angry at Quebecers about.

Old 02-10-2016, 04:56 AM

BTW Cheeka we will not be having a referendum in 2016 as the Quebec Liberals are in power until 2018. You did not know this?

Old 02-10-2016, 05:03 AM

BTW being a sovereign country (regardless of the time - this we could actually debate) is not something to boast about so strongly when it was basically the result of a colonial power arranging things over time in its own self-interest.

Yes since that time Canada has grown to become a great country. But Canada becoming a country at the outset was not the result of a great visionary courageous Canadian impetus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada