Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Quebec Independence a Legitimate Movement?
Yes 147 65.04%
No 79 34.96%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 06:20 PM

854 posts, read 586,081 times

Advertisements

[quote=Acajack;41733954]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post

Now, now jambo. Simmer down. Calm your steed down too. Take one leg out from each stirrup at a time. Take a deep breath.

I was only talking about my own vision of Canada. Though I think you might be surprised at how many people even from outside Quebec think like me.

Is what I wrote really so hard to believe? Do you really know anything about Canadian history at all? Where and how a place called "Canada" originated?

BTW, I am not saying that Quebec is more important than any other province, but its loss would be a huge symbolic blow.

The secession of any province would be a blow to Canada, but surely you can appreciate how for francophones in particular the secession of the province where 85-90% of them live and where almost all of their cultural institutions are located would provoke a serious soul-searching?

Are you being obtuse on purpose?

That's very true! What about the Acadians who live in New Brunswick and elsewhere?!
These Quebecois separatists with their anti-Canadian militancy are so selfish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 06:32 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
[quote=torontocheeka;42952084]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

That's very true! What about the Acadians who live in New Brunswick and elsewhere?!
These Quebecois separatists with their anti-Canadian militancy are so selfish.
BTW the post you quoted was mine, not jambo's. Still feel the same about it?

Old 02-09-2016, 06:38 PM

[quote=Acajack;42952189]
Quote:
Originally Posted by torontocheeka View Post

BTW the post you quoted was mine, not jambo's. Still feel the same about it?

I do not harbour any animosity towards you. I mostly am just genuinely confused why you would find it racist to point out the obvious fact that so many of you do not like English-Canadians. I mean, your counterpart literally just went on a rant about how English-Canadians are all idiots with no identify simply because we do not have the same historical tendency towards defiance that the French and Americans do.

That's a bone-deep hatred. Why do you deny that it exists?

Old 02-09-2016, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torontocheeka View Post

I do not harbour any animosity towards you. I mostly am just genuinely confused why you would find it racist to point out the obvious fact that so many of you do not like English-Canadians. I mean, your counterpart literally just went on a rant about how English-Canadians are all idiots with no identify simply because we do not have the same historical tendency towards defiance that the French and Americans do.

That's a bone-deep hatred. Why do you deny that it exists?
I can't understand how a self-anointed anti-racism crusader like yourself cannot see the irony in labelling an entire group of 8 million people with negative epithets... be it racist, lazy, stinky or whatever.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:33 PM

428 posts, read 450,941 times
Quote:
I can't understand how a self-anointed anti-racism crusader like yourself cannot see the irony in labelling an entire group of 8 million people with negative epithets... be it racist, lazy, stinky or whatever.
Yet because of your ethnicity you are the racist. Gotta love that logic.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
Yet because of your ethnicity you are the racist. Gotta love that logic.
She doesn't even know anything about me!

Old 02-09-2016, 07:37 PM

Not to mention the fact that among all the bluster about Americans being racist and Quebecers being racist, there is little acknowledgement and even outright denial that many Anglo-Canadians can be racist too.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:40 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Quote:
Not to mention the fact that among all the bluster about Americans being racist and Quebecers being racist, there is little acknowledgement and even outright denial that many Anglo-Canadians can be racist too.
Good point. You're (we) all pretty racist.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Good point. You're (we) all pretty racist.
Well I do think that individuals can be non-racist. But when people start claiming that a society with millions of people in it has almost no racism, I start to get suspicious.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:46 PM

Quote:

OK, so half the province hated us enough to want to separate. That's 4 million people. That doesn't justify a claim of "so many"?

I would be curious to know what your definition is of "a lot."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada