Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Quebec Independence a Legitimate Movement?
Yes 147 65.04%
No 79 34.96%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 09:59 PM

35,045 posts, read 16,995,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
Nonetheless, having only one parent who speaks a language in the home makes it far less likely that the children will speak it, especially if that language isn't also used in the community around them.

For example, a child with one Francophone and one Anglophone parent who grows up in Toronto is far less likely to learn French beyond a conversational level than one who grew up in Montréal or even Ottawa.
Perre Trudeau a/k/a Trudeau the Smarter was one of the best, most inventive English speakers ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 09:22 AM

692 posts, read 957,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Perre Trudeau a/k/a Trudeau the Smarter was one of the best, most inventive English speakers ever.
...who went to Harvard.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:29 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Pierre Elliiot Trudeau was also a true half francophone and half anglophone. He grew up in an personal, family and urban environment that was conducive to him becoming very fluent in both languages.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:30 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I don't know. I have retained Hebrew pretty well since my Hebrew school days ended in 1970..
What about your kids, if you have any? That's really what we are talking about here: intergenerational transmission of languages.

I wouldn't ever lose my French if moved to Perth, Australia and lived the rest of my life there.

Old 11-21-2015, 12:00 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Haar; you've got your tighty-whiteys on backwards again haven't you?

Paul Rose, Jacques Rose, Francis Simard, Bernard Lortie were all cowardly traitors and a muderers; bet you got their pictures over your biffy.

Nothing new here.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:08 AM

30 posts, read 31,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Haar; you've got your tighty-whiteys on backwards again haven't you?

Paul Rose, Jacques Rose, Francis Simard, Bernard Lortie were all cowardly traitors and a muderers; bet you got their pictures over your biffy.

Nothing new here.
Those people were definitely lowlifes BruSan but they are far from an accurate representation of Quebec's independence movement. There was a guy (I forget is name) who tried to murder the Quebec premier a couple of years ago in the name of a united Canada, I don't think he is representative of the anti-independence movement either.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:26 PM

Location: The worlds most liveable city in the worlds most livable nation! "The most beautiful place on Earth"
52 posts, read 47,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
Some say that they are a nuisance. Others see them as freedom fighters. Since the conquest of French Canada in the mid 1700's, there has been a conceted effort to keep Quebecois culture alive amidst a sea of over 330 million Anglos. Despite being marginalization by the Anglo-dominated government and being assimilated in other provinces, French speakers have persisted as the majority in the province of Quebec. The Quebec seperatists lost referendums for independence in 1980 and 1995 (the second time by a razor thin margin of 1%) but these elections have been called into question under allegations of vote tampering and fraud. Despite these defeats, independence remains a permanent fixture in Quebec and greater Canadian politics.

What do you think? Does the Quebec independence movement carry legitimate grievances, or are they a group of opportunistic troublemakers?
No it is not a legitimate movement. Think about it. Quebec has benefited immensely from being part of Canada. We freed them from the Catholic church. We also saved them from American imperialism not once but twice. That Quebeckers are not oppressed, never have been in any way. All Canadians have been equal since day one and that includes the Pure Lines as well as other Quebec French speakers. There is a professional class of agitators in Quebec who's mission is to spread radical philosophies that misguide Quebeckers, derailing the Canadian unity. A lot of Quebeckers who don't know any better have been taken for fools by this ideology and have been radicalized to support Quebec's language patrol enforcement and even outright independence. The truth is that Quebec can't make it without Canada and would rapidly descend into third world status without our help.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:57 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
Lmao!!!! Good one Canada_number_one. You are a funny gal. You just couldn't get enough in the other thread could you? Lol

Old 02-08-2016, 10:11 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canada number one View Post
There is a professional class of agitators in Quebec who's mission is to spread radical philosophies that misguide Quebeckers, derailing the Canadian unity..
HAHA It seems like there is a professional class of agitators on this forum.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:25 PM

Location: The worlds most liveable city in the worlds most livable nation! "The most beautiful place on Earth"
52 posts, read 47,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Lmao!!!! Good one Canada_number_one. You are a funny gal. You just couldn't get enough in the other thread could you? Lol
Look I see that I am blunt but at least address my points instead of trying to use humour to evade the point. I did start a conversation with Acajack about how Quebec has benefited from being part of Canada, then the thread was closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada