Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 08:57 PM

181 posts, read 353,789 times

Advertisements

For folks wondering, Park Elevator was a club on south blvd next to the pink condo in the old fire dept. I saw the Red Hot Chili Peppers there in 88-89'.Saw Alice in Chains there too.
yes I remember Mythos! but it wasn't the same as Pteradctyl or PE.
I also remember the 4808 club that started on central ave,moved to a now demolished bldg next to Dixie's on 7th and finally to a location where gateway village is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 09:46 PM

23 posts, read 70,189 times
You know you're from Charlotte if:
You shopped for groceries at the A&P on Park Ave. and brought the Spanish Bar Cake
You ate the best Hot Dogs at Tanners or Kresses
The Bookmobile came to the neighbor in the summer

You

Old 07-23-2011, 07:01 AM

149 posts, read 260,282 times
does anyone remember the name of that store on Park Road near Southern Park Music School/Fresh Market that served Malts and spritzer sodas (cant remember the correct name of what they are called) They put I guess club soda in a ice cream drink with ice cream? You would go and sit at the counter and order? My mom used to take me there after piano classes.

I also remember the A&P! The Michael's is there now. And Ernies records was there. I used to go there and buy 45s.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:29 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,150,676 times
Not sure if any of these were covered, but I thought of a few ads from my childhood.

Remember the Curtosey Auto guy? "Weeeee're Dealin' "Pick up a phone, give us a call, 536-5600"

Pop Tart? (Tart's audio on Independence Blvd.)

Or When John Boy and Billy were AM, and the ad where the Mexican guy said "Hi Juan, I'm Juan too. My wife, she always juan to..." (<--STUPID)

Or Midnight Rock and Bowl at Independence Lane's, when half of the WWF came out to bowl. I remmber running into Rock and Roll Express a lot. And Magnum TA when he lived on Thermal Road (Before his wreck). Don't forget about the Nature Boy. Wooooooooooooo

Old 07-28-2012, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,484 times
The Swayback mare on central!
Midnight sun
going to Across the border in SC when the bars closed on sat nite in charlotte..

All the great concerts at the old coliseum
concerts at Park center
Driving from carowinds to minthill on 51 and no traffic!!!

Old 07-28-2012, 11:07 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,812,838 times
I remember the real Hugh McManaway at the intersection of Queens and Providence. The statue is a nice touch, but nothing like the real thing!

Old 03-25-2013, 06:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,314 times
Default Connie Cottontop.

Connie Cottontop was my mom, Bette Craig Moore. She grew up in Riverbend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
You know you're from Charlotte if:

You used to go downtown to see the Christmas windows at Belk's and Ivey's.

You still call it DOWNTOWN.

You remember the UNCC area as cowfields and 2-lane roads - with Herlocker Burger being the big draw!

You looked forward all year to the County Fair at the Mecklenburg Fairgrounds.

You shopped at the KMart on North Tryon - or Woolco in Tryon Mall.

Connie Cottontop came to see you in elementary school - and she was like an angel!

Old 03-29-2013, 12:05 AM

1 posts, read 2,263 times
anyone have pictures from the concrete connection skate park?

Old 03-29-2013, 06:03 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,656,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4the3rdSon View Post
Connie Cottontop was my mom, Bette Craig Moore. She grew up in Riverbend.
Wow! My sisters & I thought she was magic! LOL Do you have any pictures?

Old 03-29-2013, 01:19 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,207,077 times
What about Daddy Grace and his church on McDowell street across the street from an ice house,Now that is something only an old timer native like me can recall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte