Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 06:45 PM

136 posts, read 327,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Was PM Magazine the show that Moira Quinn was on?
Yes, she was on there and I do wish they would bring it back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
You know you're from Charlotte if: from someone who has live here since 1993
You still have some Hornets merchandise
You or someone you know claims to have been in the Coliseum the night Alonzo Mourning beat the Celtics in the playoffs at the buzzer in 1993
You remember when 485 only went from HWY 51 to South Blvd
You remember most people who followed the NFL and MLB rooted for the Redskins and Braves
When 96.1 was an Oldies station, was called "Magic", and your parents listened to it in the car all the time
When 95.1 was known as "the Edge" and was an alternative rock station
When 107.9 the Link actually aired music instead of talk shows all day, you also remember when it was called "Sunny 107.9"
You remember there were very few shopping centers south of the Aboretum.
Therefore sometimes it took some people 10-15 minutes to get to a shopping center
When Carolina Place Mall was the place for most teens in South Charlotte to hang out
You own a "Growl Towel" from the Panthers 1996 playoff run and/or you still have a Kerry Collins shirt.
You know who Steve & Michelle Chambers, David Scott Ghantt, and Kelly Campbell are w/out googling them
You remember the puppet chicken in the Bojangles commercials
You remember when the Final Four was here and then-president Bill Clinton was in attendance
You Ice-skated at Eastland Mall and felt safe at the same time
When Ballentyne was nothing but a giant forest w/ a few homes
When most Country roads were not heavily travelled
When there were not so many newscasts
When Bally Fitness in Pineville was a movie theater.
When LL Cool J had a home here (or so I was told)
All of the above made me chuckle..and yes to all of it too.

I went to school with Michelle chambers and that is too funny!

When I worked at the airport in 95-97 (my 2nd/3rd jobs), LL would take the red eye on Wednesday nights to go film his show.

I really miss the 96.1 oldies station.

I was there for the Final Four and remember they showed the games by projecting it onto that wall on that huge white building.

Remember when that gym in Matthews was also a movie theater and you could turn left out of that shopping center onto Independence.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:45 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,242,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom of 3 girls View Post

I was there for the Final Four and remember they showed the games by projecting it onto that wall on that huge white building.
That reminds me, this may have been the same building, but does anyone remember the building downtown that had a huge mural of Alonzo Mourning, Larry Johnson, and Muggsy Bouges painted on it, and when they left it became a mural of Hugo the Hornet "Bursting" through the wall?

Also anyone remember when the Hornets drafted Kobe Bryant? then traded him for Vlade Divac? And when Larry Johnson was known as "Grandmama" and wore a dress in his ads?

When Jodeci was one of the biggest groups in the 90's, then they become KCi and JoJo

There was a pond where Hwy 521 and Community House Road now meet.

Last edited by Canes2006Champs; 07-17-2010 at 08:00 PM..

Old 07-17-2010, 08:10 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Yes, she was on there and I do wish they would bring it back.
I don't know if the copyright is still valid.

PM Magazine was a spin-off of Evening Magazine.

Evening Magazine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PM Magazine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They don't state it in those, but a lot of the national distribution production came out of Philadelphia, like Chef Tell, because they were set up for it (Mike Douglas was coming out of that station.)

Old 07-17-2010, 08:29 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
Speaking of the Hornets-Larry Johnson as Grandmama
Attached Thumbnails
You know you are from Charlotte if....-grandmama.jpeg  

Old 07-17-2010, 08:35 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
Quote:
That reminds me, this may have been the same building, but does anyone remember the building downtown that had a huge mural of Alonzo Mourning, Larry Johnson, and Muggsy Bouges painted on it, and when they left it became a mural of Hugo the Hornet "Bursting" through the wall?

Also anyone remember when the Hornets drafted Kobe Bryant? then traded him for Vlade Divac? And when Larry Johnson was known as "Grandmama" and wore a dress in his ads?

When Jodeci was one of the biggest groups in the 90's, then they become KCi and JoJo

There was a pond where Hwy 521 and Community House Road now meet.

That was the First Union Building, IIRC.

I was at the Hornets game when Kurt Rambis tossed up the game winner over the Lakers at the buzzer. I thought the roof was gonna come off the Coliseum.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
yes, that is right, and I never really understood why they did that. That is like getting a tattoo of your significant other's name on your body... that is Murphy's law that you'll end up breaking up... Same logic would apply to Mourning. Johnson, and Muggsy on the huge (but beautiful mural). The love affair between those guys and Charlotte would eventually end....

Old 07-17-2010, 09:44 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,242,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Speaking of the Hornets-Larry Johnson as Grandmama
Yep, that's how I remember him.
Quote:
yes, that is right, and I never really understood why they did that. That is like getting a tattoo of your significant other's name on your body... that is Murphy's law that you'll end up breaking up... Same logic would apply to Mourning. Johnson, and Muggsy on the huge (but beautiful mural). The love affair between those guys and Charlotte would eventually end....
IIRC, I believe it was done when the Hornets were the only major league game in town, back when they were selling out every game and were also leading the NBA in merchandise sold. But it seemed once that thing went up, Johnson and Mourning both started disliking each other and then both ended up leaving pretty soon. Bouges however still is "loved" here, along with Dell Curry who I think may have been a part of that mural at one time.

Another Hornets memory, 2001 when the team wore headbands throughout the playoffs as a sign of team unity, they were an underdog against the Miami Heat and they swept them. The next day, a giant headband was put on the statue of Queen Charlotte at the airport. At the same time, the movie "Shallow Hal" was being filmed here and Jason Alexander sang the national anthem before one of the games while wearing a headband. Man I can't believe that's almost been ten years.

I also remember the movie "Eddie" w/ Whoopie Goldberg being filmed here. One of my friends dad was an extra in that movie and was one of the people walking onto the court at the end.

The same year as "Eddie", the Charlotte Checkers won the Kelly Cup. 1996. I think the Knights won a league Championship as well.

Mom of 3 thats pretty interesting you went to school w/ Michelle Chambers. I just now remembered that one pic of her and Kelly when they were arrested where both of them were making funny faces trying to play the whole thing off as a joke. I believe that was one of the biggest robberies ever. I remember the Observer did a story on it on the ten year anniversary and told how they bought a velvet Elvis, a BMW, and how the bank got suspicious after being told by one of them that they wanted to take out a huge deposit and how "it's not drug money".

Last edited by Canes2006Champs; 07-17-2010 at 10:17 PM..

Old 07-21-2010, 12:33 PM

846 posts, read 1,797,469 times
I'm not from Charlotte but I am from the Carolinas and I remember when Charlotte was much less important than it is today.

- I remember when Pittsburgh was a bigger hub than Charlotte for USAir.
- When Rock Hill was a separate city from Charlotte
- When the Hornets were followed all around the Carolinas (they aired TV games here in the Charleston area)
- How big of a deal the Panthers were when they made the NFC Championship the first time (people sold Garth Brooks tickets here to go to the Cowboys game when they won)
- When Davidson College was just a school that Carolinians heard about
- When every Panthers game was covered locally

Old 07-21-2010, 07:39 PM

550 posts, read 1,355,721 times
I remember growing up in the NoDa area and seeing nothing but run down houses and duplexes. It was ghetto when I grew up there and went to school in the area.

Now the place has become a trendy with nice retail shops and restaurants. The houses their have gone up in value by 10x in some cases. My duplex has gone up from $30,000 in 1990 to close to $300,000 now. Me and my friends still can't believe changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte