Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2011, 02:26 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbecue_is_a_noun View Post
Very interesting and informative about Charlotte history.

Providence Presbyterian Church: Home: History
Thx for posting this link, I am sure most do not realize that Providence Road was named for this church.
For most of my life, two-lane Providence Rd used to wind pass the front of the property.
The newer four lane road passes the rear of the property.

Providence Church Ln used to be the main road.

Last edited by mullman; 07-19-2011 at 02:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 02:27 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,366,938 times
Interesting stuff BBQ. It's nice that most of the landmarks and roads in South Charlotte and throughout the area were actually named for real things like Craighead, Providence, Murkland and even Community House! It gives these things so much more integrity than some of the crap I see down here like "Windswept" (no offense to anyone livign in Windswept!)

Old 07-19-2011, 02:34 PM

149 posts, read 259,977 times
to the newcomers to Charlotte, here is a history about Sharon.

Sharon Road

Old 07-19-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
to the newcomers to Charlotte, here is a history about Sharon.

Sharon Road
Again, thx for posting!

I grew up living on Sharonview Rd and got a chuckle out of the Sharonview 'country club' reference.
Certainly was not what most people would consider a CC, then or now.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:25 AM

Really interesting. Could the "country club" be what's now called Olde Providence Racquet and Swim Club on Sharonview? It's certainly old enough.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:47 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,286,491 times
Maybe. However my recollection of when people said "country club" in Charlotte, they were either referring to Charlotte Country Club on, not surprisingly, Country Club Drive near Plaza/Midwood, or Myers Park Country Club.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
Really interesting. Could the "country club" be what's now called Olde Providence Racquet and Swim Club on Sharonview? It's certainly old enough.

No, there was a Sharonview 'Country Club' on the site of what is now condos @ Sharonview & S Hill View Dr.
Obv no golf, just a tiny club with a pool, dinning room, and a few tennis courts - a swimclub that wanted to use the country club moniker.
I remember going there a few times with friends, torn down ~1986 or so.

Last edited by mullman; 07-20-2011 at 09:17 AM..

Old 07-20-2011, 09:20 AM

149 posts, read 259,977 times
pretty cool history, huh? It was fun to find that and read it and reminise.

I grew up going to swim meets at Sharonview, Olde Providence RC, Windyrush (my team), Idlewild, Sardis, Rama and a few others. So much fun~

I remember we used to have a high dive at Windyrush - prob unheard of now.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:46 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,286,491 times
Quote:

I remember we used to have a high dive at Windyrush - prob unheard of now.
Yeah, those deep pools and high dives are all gone now. By chance, did you ever see the pools at Spring Maid Park? (outside of Lancaster)

Old 07-20-2011, 09:54 AM

Ha! The high dive is long gone from Windyrush "Country Club" but they still have very competitive swim and dive teams. The actual clubhouse that was built in 1969 burned down three years ago and has not yet been rebuilt but they just built a tennis pavilion. It's a great club in a wonderful neighborhood (OP).

There are still a handful of original owners from the late 60's. The HOA is harmless and has a nice home tour in the spring to raise money. Usually 6 or 7 houses that have done renovations throughout the year will be opened for display. It's great to walk in a see the innovative things people have done with relatively modestly priced homes (surrounded by McMansions).

There are dozens of adults who grew up in or near the neighborhood and have bought houses for themselves and their families. Their loyalty to Myers Park HS's football team is evident every time there's a whisper about rezoning. Then the former Mustangs put on their green and head up to the school to protest. Same with Carmel Middle. I'm amazed by the number of people I've met who live in the same house or same neighborhood they grew up in. Their kids go to the same schools and have a lot of the same teachers.

Mr. Rea lives just outside the neighborhood but has a free, lifetime membership to Windyrush because his family donated the land. He shows up once or twice over the summer with his grandkids but I still see him pretty regularly at Harris Teeter, Wal-greens, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte