Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 11:01 AM

149 posts, read 259,977 times

Advertisements

I loved Casa Gallardos! The Sunday brunch was awesome! The sopapillas!

I remember when Ballantyne didnt exist - Union County was farmland - Olde Providence wasnt over developed

Colony Road cut through was only a dream.

Watching the huge TV's at Southpark Mall

Someone mention Richway and Uptons? omg YES!!!

I remember when Wesley Church in Rea Road was first formed (I am a charter member). Our first service was held in Olde Providence Elementary across the street.

Eastland Mall was the best mall in town - I remember that too

Southpark was actually affordable - Remember Julies?

Park Road Shopping Center and the Pet Shop and Ernies Records

The A&P at Park Road Shopping Center

Mr. Rea's cows and bulls escaping his fence behind my house on Brynwood Drive!!! That was a trip!

The Original Fountain in Southpark Mall

Southern Park Music School on Selwyn

The Fresh Market on Selwyn

The original YWCA on Park Road - learning to swim there, learning gymnastics, taking sewing classes there

Eating at the little restaurant inside the YWCA and eating Banana Splits once a week!!

Learning to ice skate at Eastland Mall

Roger's Barbecue

Little Italy Restaurant - and the ceiling that looked like egg cartons!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 11:48 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,286,491 times
Indeed you are a native if you remember Richway and the TVs at Southpark. (and that shag carpet on those seats around it) LOL How about School Kids Records, Shazada Records in downtown "How High Can A Record Story Fly", Grapevine Records, Spaceship Earth hamburgers on Central, TJ's High Style suits in downtown, Zayres, Lowes when it was a lumber yard, "Lets go Krogering". haha

Old 07-19-2011, 11:58 AM

I remember some of those!!

Does anybody remember Decoratng World across from SouthPark Mall? t s Sherwin Williams now. They had a playhouse in the middle of the store made of carpet?

Let's go Krogerng!! havent heard that in over 20 years

Who remembers when Food Lion was called Food Town???

Old 07-19-2011, 12:04 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,286,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbecue_is_a_noun View Post

Who remembers when Food Lion was called Food Town???
Yes indeed. The story is they changed the name to Food Lion to avoid a conflict with another chain with the same Food Town name, and FL meant they only had to change two letters on the sign. Do you remember when they had LFPINC?

Old 07-19-2011, 12:17 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,366,938 times
How is Olde Providence over developed? Curious about that. Please explain. Do you mean the neighborhood itself or the area around it? I still see Mr. Rea around a lot! He looks good!

Old 07-19-2011, 12:27 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
When 95.1 was known as "the Edge" and was an alternative rock station
When 107.9 the Link actually aired music instead of talk shows all day, you also remember when it was called "Sunny 107.9"
Way before that 95.1 was '95Q', the bumperstickers said 'I Q in my car'.
Sunny 107.9 something else, possibly WBCY?
I can see the old logo, but just can't remember the letters.

Quote:
Does anybody remember Decoratng World across from SouthPark Mall? t s Sherwin Williams now. They had a playhouse in the middle of the store made of carpet?
Totally remember playing there.
My parents would just drop me off and come back later and were not arrested for child neglect - simpler times.
A few years later, I used to ride my bike to the computer store in that shopping center (now approx where Roosters is located) and play with their display units.
Saw my first Apple II & Macintosh there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
Do you remember when they had LFPINC?
'Lowest Food Prices in NC' - my grandfather had that bumpersticker on his pickup.

Quote:
Little Italy Restaurant - and the ceiling that looked like egg cartons!
Little Italy on Central, we ate there once a week the first ~13 years of my life.
I remember before the 'expansion' when they added the new dining room on the left.

About a month ago we took the kids to the Open Kitchen, they could not believe that their grandparents (my parents) used to go there on dates.

Anyone remember the Matthews Family House (now El Valle)?
I can still taste their marinated beef tips, miss that old place.

Last edited by mullman; 07-19-2011 at 01:40 PM..

Old 07-19-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
How is Olde Providence over developed? Curious about that. Please explain. Do you mean the neighborhood itself or the area around it? I still see Mr. Rea around a lot! He looks good!
I dont know if you saw Brynwood Dr before they destroyed the property behnd it, but it used to be all woods. It is hard to even recognze Summerlin anymore. I used to pick persimmons, figs, grapevine (to make wreaths), muscadines, black walnuts, apples etc in those woods. That is a thing of the past now.

Good to know Mr. Rea is still around!

Old 07-19-2011, 12:53 PM

Yes, I do remember when Colony didn't cut through. I have neighbors who've told me about people riding horses through OP! The worst thing is that eyesore on the corner of Colony and Carmel. A developer went in there and destroyed all of those woods just as the housing market was crashing and it's still barren. And I recently got flamed on this site for bemoaning the loss of the little wooded area between Stonecroft and Colony Place for yet another medical plaza. Even though there's tons of empty office space all around South Charlotte.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:06 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
Indeed you are a native if you remember Richway and the TVs at Southpark. (and that shag carpet on those seats around it) LOL How about School Kids Records, Shazada Records in downtown "How High Can A Record Story Fly", Grapevine Records, Spaceship Earth hamburgers on Central, TJ's High Style suits in downtown, Zayres, Lowes when it was a lumber yard, "Lets go Krogering". haha

Remember when there was a "Big M" at the corner of Seneca and South Blvd?

Old 07-19-2011, 01:34 PM

Wow. I've been here for 16 years and always feel like a new comer but I remember a LOT of the things in BBQs post. I vaguely remember when threre was a Fresh Mkt. on Selwyn. Where exactly was it? I actually know the daughter of Ernie from the record place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte