Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 05:20 AM

604 posts, read 1,308,017 times

Advertisements

You can remember when Charlotte was immune to the real estate bubble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 05:12 PM

198 posts, read 262,092 times
The Queen City Classic, HI FI Country Club, Star lounge, The Chickenette, The Varsity, El Chicos,The Ritz, The Grand, The Savoy, The Lincoln, Congo Street, Liberia Street. Ed Mellons, Tate Brown, Newberg's, The Newstand on Trade, The Charlotte News "ayah get a paper" Tanners, Charlotte Fish & Oysters, Berlins Pawn Shop, The village Store at Providence and Old Providence I could go on and on.
The Charlotte I grew up in was walkable because I walk to most of these locations.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:57 PM

846 posts, read 1,799,044 times
You remember when WBTV had Paul Cameron doing sports and not news? Harold Johnson doing sports at WSOC?

I found a UNC-Charlotte graduation on YouTube from 1989:

YouTube - UNC Charlotte Graduation May 13, 1989 (part 1)

Old 07-25-2010, 06:05 AM

604 posts, read 1,308,017 times
When we had water restrictions......we couldn't water our lawn and then because they didn't sell enough water, they raised the rates.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:18 AM

3 posts, read 7,001 times
I've really enjoyed reading everyone's list. It took me down memory lane.

-You played on Smurf Island and you still call the kiddy rollercoaster The Scooby Doo rollercoaster at Carowinds.

-You loved Grady's and Rock Ola on Albermarle road

-You went to PTL's water park

-You went to see the Charlotte O's play baseball

-You would go to Eastland Mall at Christmas to see the 3 singing bears display. Oh and you watched movies at the Eastland mall and ate at Morrisons cafeteria.

-You remember hoow big of a deal it was when we got the Hornets and often wore teal and purple to all the games.

-SouthPark was the boring mall where old people shopped.

-You remember them annoucing the plans for 485 and them saying it would take 20 years. (lol 20 years yeah right!)

Last edited by cat89; 07-27-2010 at 07:30 AM..

Old 07-27-2010, 08:20 PM

136 posts, read 327,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat89 View Post
I've really enjoyed reading everyone's list. It took me down memory lane.

-You played on Smurf Island and you still call the kiddy rollercoaster The Scooby Doo rollercoaster at Carowinds.

-You loved Grady's and Rock Ola on Albermarle road

-You remember hoow big of a deal it was when we got the Hornets and often wore teal and purple to all the games.

-You remember them annoucing the plans for 485 and them saying it would take 20 years. (lol 20 years yeah right!)
This is the first year since we as a family have been able to enjoy Carowinds, and I found myself calling "Woodstock Express" the Scooby Doo, and I still miss the jalopies, monorail (I appreciate it now), WHITE LIGHTNIN, open bucket, River boat (before smurf island), (of course) Smurf Island, and the clock that was a flower bed... Does anyone remember that? I could not find it once I thought about it.

I remember Grady's and was that Darryls (the two story restaurant) that caught fire?

When I broke my arm in 4 places (trying to learn how to ride a dirtbike), I made the doctor put purple and teal colors as my cast. This was in 1996 in the hey day of the old (but not the old, old) Coliseum and that old Colseum is not there anymore.

As far as 485, 20 years my behind.....I was in 5th or 6th grade when they started that bridge that goes from I-77 towards Pineville. I will be attending my 20 year high school reunion next year, so that was a long time ago.... I can not do the math in head anymore....scarred after Calculus in high school. LOL.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:25 PM

136 posts, read 327,665 times
Default not my fame to claim....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Mom of 3 thats pretty interesting you went to school w/ Michelle Chambers. I just now remembered that one pic of her and Kelly when they were arrested where both of them were making funny faces trying to play the whole thing off as a joke. I believe that was one of the biggest robberies ever. I remember the Observer did a story on it on the ten year anniversary and told how they bought a velvet Elvis, a BMW, and how the bank got suspicious after being told by one of them that they wanted to take out a huge deposit and how "it's not drug money".
I just remember in her grade school and junior high (that is what they called it back then).. I think she moved to our rival high school where she met her husband. I remember that she got a boob job, and I kept thinking how are they gonna recoup that? LOL. And she went by Shelley, not Michelle, so I didn't know it was her until I saw her walking into the jailhouse!

One of my friends mom worked with the husband, and said it was not the brains behind the operation, and could not believe that they all pulled it off. We talked about it and wondered if it seemed like a "Dumb and Dumber" movie. A better analogy now, would be a, "My Name is Earl" episode.

Last edited by Mom of 3 girls; 07-27-2010 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: forgot a word

Old 07-28-2010, 01:34 PM

3 posts, read 7,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom of 3 girls View Post
T
I remember Grady's and was that Darryls (the two story restaurant) that caught fire?

I remember Darryls, it was near the Regency theater ($1 movies!!!). I also love Casa Gallardos, specifically their Sunday brunch. It was awesome and their strawberry sopapilla were the best!

Old 07-28-2010, 01:40 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,523,734 times
You know you are from Charlotte if:

you can remember going to the Park & Shop on South Blvd, walking up to the butcher counter and having them cut, cook and serve your steak right there in the restaurant.

Good food, great times!

Old 07-28-2010, 01:46 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,541,472 times
Casa Gallardos had the best Sunday Brunches and I love the Spanish tile floors.

Darryl's in Greensboro also two floors is under an awesome remodel least by the pictures
on their Facebook page; It should reopen by the end of summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte