U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-08-2007, 09:36 AM
 
Location: 3rd Rock fts
749 posts, read 1,007,007 times
Reputation: 304

Advertisements

The first 4 years we lived in Troutman/Statesville which is different, but I worked in Charlotte.

Davidson is currently very nice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-10-2007, 10:04 PM
 
42 posts, read 146,398 times
Reputation: 33
I am a native and have a quite thick accent, that I am very proud of. Many years ago at my alma mater, UNC-Chapel Hill a professor (from the north) told me I would have to lose the accent to succeed in business. I decided then and there, that I would cultivate the thickest possible "southern drawl" and I would take my chances in business. It turns out that I have been very successful, in spite of my accent. However, recently a customer (who is a recent northern transplant) informed me that she was under the impression that southerners were "slow" and I was speaking over her head. I'm a member of MENSA for god's sake. I coudn't believe my ears? We welcome transplants here, but If you tell us we're supposed to be "slow", you might not be welcomed at all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2007, 10:23 PM
 
Location: Sunny Phoenix Arizona...wishing for a beach.
4,299 posts, read 14,032,535 times
Reputation: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuggles23 View Post
I am a native and have a quite thick accent, that I am very proud of. Many years ago at my alma mater, UNC-Chapel Hill a professor (from the north) told me I would have to lose the accent to succeed in business. I decided then and there, that I would cultivate the thickest possible "southern drawl" and I would take my chances in business. It turns out that I have been very successful, in spite of my accent. However, recently a customer (who is a recent northern transplant) informed me that she was under the impression that southerners were "slow" and I was speaking over her head. I'm a member of MENSA for god's sake. I coudn't believe my ears? We welcome transplants here, but If you tell us we're supposed to be "slow", you might not be welcomed at all.

I don't judge anyone by their southern accent at all, but I do know those who do. I have been here only a short time and I have mixed emotions on whether transplants are welcome here. I am very respectful of the NC natives and the culture but I have had a few dealings with not so nice natives. The Mooresville DMV to be exact. It was like a rude Mayberry RFD. My next trip to the DMV will be in Charlotte.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2007, 10:32 PM
 
5,265 posts, read 15,422,190 times
Reputation: 4291
There is just something I would like to point out.....something that I see almost as "discrimination". Many of the NC natives who are (understandibly) upset about the change and strain put on their hometowns from the influx of people tend to show most of their stress towards Northerners/Californians.....yet the census stats show that the majority of people moving to NC are actually from other areas of the south. Obviously this includes Florida, which is largely a second-generation northern transplant state...but still places like Texas, Alabama, Georigia, South Carolina and Virginia are sending just as many people towards NC as NY, NJ, MA, and CA are. Yet it seems that most of the time it is the "yankees" moving to NC that are causing the problems. I'm not saying this is all of the NC natives, not by a longshot, or even necessarily for all of the natives who are upset about the population influx. But it's definitly a trendancy among many natives that I've noticed both on this thread and in person. I can't say I completely disagree with them, because I feel that the large number of people from the North to the South is hurting both regions in the long run.....but the growing pains/stresses that NC is experiencing can certainly NOT be blamed soley on transplants from the North and west coast.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2007, 10:44 PM
 
Location: The Denver, CO area
435 posts, read 1,714,673 times
Reputation: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
I am very respectful of the NC natives and the culture but I have had a few dealings with not so nice natives. The Mooresville DMV to be exact. It was like a rude Mayberry RFD. My next trip to the DMV will be in Charlotte.
They aren't always nice either. You might be better off going to the Monroe DMV.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2007, 10:49 PM
 
Location: The Denver, CO area
435 posts, read 1,714,673 times
Reputation: 164
I have no discrimination against anyone moving here seeing as I'm originally from the midwest & my family comes from NJ. I'm just upset that people are moving here, they keep building all these neighborhoods, but they aren't expanding the roads to keep up with all the traffic. But I do agree, you will at times meet natives who don't like all these people moving in. The close mindedness that you can come across can be very annoying. Its a subtle thing & you might not even realize it, but it does occur. Or those that you will invite to your house all the time- they will come, but you will not once be invited to their home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
There is just something I would like to point out.....something that I see almost as "discrimination". Many of the NC natives who are (understandibly) upset about the change and strain put on their hometowns from the influx of people tend to show most of their stress towards Northerners/Californians.....yet the census stats show that the majority of people moving to NC are actually from other areas of the south. Obviously this includes Florida, which is largely a second-generation northern transplant state...but still places like Texas, Alabama, Georigia, South Carolina and Virginia are sending just as many people towards NC as NY, NJ, MA, and CA are. Yet it seems that most of the time it is the "yankees" moving to NC that are causing the problems. I'm not saying this is all of the NC natives, not by a longshot, or even necessarily for all of the natives who are upset about the population influx. But it's definitly a trendancy among many natives that I've noticed both on this thread and in person. I can't say I completely disagree with them, because I feel that the large number of people from the North to the South is hurting both regions in the long run.....but the growing pains/stresses that NC is experiencing can certainly NOT be blamed soley on transplants from the North and west coast.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2007, 11:10 PM
 
Location: Sunny Phoenix Arizona...wishing for a beach.
4,299 posts, read 14,032,535 times
Reputation: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethebigcity View Post
They aren't always nice either. You might be better off going to the Monroe DMV.
Really? Oh darn....Monroe is far.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2007, 01:47 PM
 
5,265 posts, read 15,422,190 times
Reputation: 4291
I think I'm going to make my comment on here into a thread on the general NC forum
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2007, 04:54 PM
 
Location: in a house
3,574 posts, read 13,546,188 times
Reputation: 2387
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
... I am very respectful of the NC natives and the culture but I have had a few dealings with not so nice natives. The Mooresville DMV to be exact. It was like a rude Mayberry RFD. .....
Well, bless your heart - "like a rude Mayberry RFD"? I'm sure I don't know what you mean, but I do hope you didn't share that observation with the ladies there. They can make your photo look awful!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2007, 09:04 PM
 
Location: Sunny Phoenix Arizona...wishing for a beach.
4,299 posts, read 14,032,535 times
Reputation: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Well, bless your heart - "like a rude Mayberry RFD"? I'm sure I don't know what you mean, but I do hope you didn't share that observation with the ladies there. They can make your photo look awful!

Rude people! No I didn't share that with them at all. I am a very polite and cordial person, unlike the folks at the Mooresville DMV. It was a actually my daughters picture they were taking and she always looks good Unkike me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top