Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2017, 03:12 PM

335 posts, read 334,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Hope you don't own expensive vehicles taco, GA will be taxing you 7 to 8% for each and they will double tax you if you lease and then buy out at end of lease. It's quite the racket...
rack·et1
ˈrakət/
Verb:
ILLINOIS

Old 01-12-2017, 03:14 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamouse View Post
You may have chosen some expensive movers, but we moved for much less than 5K. And we are not single or young and we owned our own $$ house filled with 50 years of stuff, TYVM. We used ABF U-Pack, which is basically freight. We packed our own boxes (our families helped), our church helped us load them into the 18 wheeler, and we drove ourselves down here in our own cars. We had friends down here help us unload the 18 wheeler when it showed up a week later. I think the bill for ABF was $2200. There were some other costs associated with moving (transferring vehicle registrations, etc), but no way did it cost us $5K much less $12-15K.

And we had a whole house of expensive furniture. We just bought lots of packing blankets and bungees and loaded the truck very carefully. Not a single broken dish, and just a few minor dings in a couple piece of furniture due to shifting. So your assumptions are way off that the ONLY way people with money and education would choose to move would be having someone else do it all and pay $15K.

I may have actually chosen that route and saved us all the work had Illinois not sucked us totally dry.
Why on earth would these "high income/high educated people" who are supposedly fleeing Illinois not hire insured professionals to handle their move? So you're recommending that the fleeing high-income individuals should try to recruit friends and church members to help them move? I would be embarrassed to even ask that.

These "high income/highly educated" individuals should also get all packing materials, pack all furniture/boxes, move heavy items, load/unload trucks, and drive the 18 wheeler moving truck across country?

So should they just take a break from their high income earning tasks and instead put together their own "free" inexperienced, uninsured church crew and do the manual labor, minimum wage moving tasks for several weeks in order to save only $5-$10k, all while potentially losing income opportunities/commission/hourly billings from their "real" high income jobs? Don't you think their time is more valuable than that?

Yes, this all makes perfect sense.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 01-12-2017 at 03:39 PM..

Old 01-12-2017, 03:25 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Hope you don't own expensive vehicles taco because GA will be taxing you 7 to 8% for each and they will double tax you if you lease and then buy out at end of lease. It's quite the racket...

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...ar-leases.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...my-leased.html

I did the opposite, I brought two vehicles from Georgia to Illinois and paid $196 total per vehicle for plates/1 year sticker and title transfer.
My wife used to pay nearly $1,000/year for a ****ty toyota tercel in Georgia. And she pays a lower income tax rate here. A lot lower.

Old 01-12-2017, 03:25 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
What do you consider "high income". The only tax shelter I have is a $5500/yr contribution to an IRA.
Buy real estate and/or start a business.

Old 01-12-2017, 03:39 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
My wife used to pay nearly $1,000/year for a ****ty toyota tercel in Georgia. And she pays a lower income tax rate here. A lot lower.
Yep, 6% State Income Tax in Georgia vs. 3.75% in Illinois. Of course, taco will say that it's going to go up in Illinois! which is what we've been hearing for years now. The fact remains that it's still 3.75% in Illinois vs 6% in Georgia so a high-roller like taco making around $200K per year of household income will be paying an extra $5K per year in income tax to live in a redneck, rapper wannabe city. I'd get some Gold teeth and extra Bling Taco so you will fit in when you arrive in Atlanta (just joking - sort of...)

Welcome to Atlanta where the playas play!

Last edited by flamadiddle; 01-12-2017 at 05:07 PM..

Old 01-12-2017, 04:47 PM

605 posts, read 711,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Why on earth would these "high income/high educated people" who are supposedly fleeing Illinois not hire insured professionals to handle their move? So you're recommending that the fleeing high-income individuals should try to recruit friends and church members to help them move? I would be embarrassed to even ask that.

These "high income/highly educated" individuals should also get all packing materials, pack all furniture/boxes, move heavy items, load/unload trucks, and drive the 18 wheeler moving truck across country?

So should they just take a break from their high income earning tasks and instead put together their own "free" inexperienced, uninsured church crew and do the manual labor, minimum wage moving tasks for several weeks in order to save only $5-$10k, all while potentially losing income opportunities/commission/hourly billings from their "real" high income jobs? Don't you think their time is more valuable than that?

Yes, this all makes perfect sense.
Moving didn't take away from my job. I work from home. Husband had vacation time due at the time he quit his job so he still got paid for the couple weeks before he had to start his new job. Our church was our life and we didn't need to ask for help - they just volunteer. That's the way it works in a real church. We didn't belong to some big, impersonal church where you go in, sit by yourself in the pew and run out after service and you don't know anyone. Our entire social life revolved around our church, and our church was our family.

So maybe our situation wasn't "typical", but I'm just telling you that just because people earn good money doesn't mean they MUST spend it unnecessarily. We found spending 5 or 6 times the amount we spent to hire professional movers unnecessary. Some of the richest folks in the world do things on the cheap (which is how they got rich).

If people would rather hire "insured" movers, good for them. I saved $10k. Even if my big dining room table got ruined in the move (for example), I could replace that for $5K and still have saved another $5K. Smart people do cost/risk analyses.

Also, we didn't drive the 18 wheeler. We shipped it FREIGHT. I said that. You aren't paying attention. We drove our cars and the stuff showed up a week later. Clearly you don't understand how shipping items "freight" works....

Old 01-12-2017, 05:04 PM

335 posts, read 334,413 times
Quote:
Yep, 6% State Income Tax in Georgia vs. 3.75% in Illinois. Of course, taco will try to use the but it's going to go up I tell ya! the sky is falling! which we've been hearing for years now. The fact remains that it's still 3.75% vs 6% in GA so a high-roller like taco making around $200K per year of household income will be paying Georgia an extra $5K per year in income taxes to live in some redneck, rapper wannabe city. Get some Gold teeth and extra bling Taco so you will fit in when you arrive in Atlanta.

Wow are you salty! When you're paying the same income tax (yes, it will go up to attempt to pay back the multi billion dollar deficit) and also paying sky high property taxes maybe you'll have to sell some of your old gold grill to pay the ever rising costs in IL!? Hopefully not, because I'm sure you made good use of it. Seriously though, worst employment, worst credit rating, worst housing market, worst pension debt, no budget, worst property taxes and most other taxes, etc...

Worst:
"Citing numbers from J.P. Morgan Chase, the report claimed the flat tax may not last because total liabilities are exceeding assets by 48 percent and the state needs to raise taxes by 17 percent, cut services by 16 percent or increase worker pension contributions by 400 percent."

Illinois Named One of the Worst States to Live in for Taxes | NBC Chicago

Worst:

http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/n...state-for.html

"Illinois continues to tax heavily and politicians continue to destroy opportunities for employees and businesses. It’s a terrible combination, which leads to the exodus we see in both families and businesses." one unnamed CEO told the magazine. "The Illinois budget crisis is approaching catastrophic proportions and will soon impact the quality of living in the state for middle income and moderately higher income families," said another.

Worst:

"Illinois continues to recover at a slower rate than the rest of the nation, as witnessed by the meager payroll gains in October," Employment Security Director Jeff Mays said in a news release. "The recovery has been uneven among the various sectors as Illinois still lags in manufacturing, construction and financial activities, as well as trade, transportation and utilities."

Illinois unemployment rate creeps up to 5.6% in October - Chicago Tribune

Worst:

"Chicago's economy has not been as strong as other major markets," Smoke emailed. "One important indicator is the current unemployment rate, which remains well above the U.S. rate of unemployment." The country's strongest markets have had several months of declining unemployment and a stable job base before home prices begin to pick up, he wrote.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...arkets-in-2017

Good luck!

Old 01-12-2017, 05:08 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Yep, 6% State Income Tax in Georgia vs. 3.75% in Illinois. Of course, taco will say that it's going to go up in Illinois! which is what we've been hearing for years now. The fact remains that it's still 3.75% in Illinois vs 6% in Georgia so a high-roller like taco making around $200K per year of household income will be paying an extra $5K per year in income tax to live in a redneck, rapper wannabe city. I'd get some Gold teeth and extra Bling Taco so you will fit in when you arrive in Atlanta (just joking - sort of...)

Lol!

Old 01-12-2017, 10:08 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,188,839 times
Quote:

Georgia is at 6% state income tax? Wow, didn't realize how high it was there. I thought it'd be lower than IL like a few other southern states I always hear about.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:19 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,253,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamouse View Post
Moving didn't take away from my job. I work from home. Husband had vacation time due at the time he quit his job so he still got paid for the couple weeks before he had to start his new job. Our church was our life and we didn't need to ask for help - they just volunteer. That's the way it works in a real church. We didn't belong to some big, impersonal church where you go in, sit by yourself in the pew and run out after service and you don't know anyone. Our entire social life revolved around our church, and our church was our family.

You are missing 99% of life by revolving around 'a church' IMNSHO.

Quote:
If people would rather hire "insured" movers, good for them. I saved $10k. Even if my big dining room table got ruined in the move (for example), I could replace that for $5K and still have saved another $5K. Smart people do cost/risk analyses.
No. Smart people hire good, insured movers who don't break their stuff(!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago