Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2012, 09:50 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,338,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
From a metaphysical standpoint Satan cannot exist. The Bible uses Satan as a symbol to instill fear.

Are you afraid?

How could anyone that knows God be afraid?
Just curious...if Angels can exist, why can't Satan?

I look at man, some are 'good' some are 'bad'...

Can there not be 'good' angels, and 'bad' angels as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 10:34 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,378,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Just curious...if Angels can exist, why can't Satan?

I look at man, some are 'good' some are 'bad'...

Can there not be 'good' angels, and 'bad' angels as well?

I don't know if angels exist or not.

I do know Jesus existed because there is a historical record.

There is no historical record of the existence of Satan. All we know about Satan comes from the bible and the passages are usually allegoric. We cannot forget that religion is usually preached with the concept of fear, reward, and punishment. Within this scheme there is a need for Satan.

Satan simply represents the evil within us, but if the bible described evil that way there would be no concept of fear, reward,and punishment.

In addition, during biblical times the unknown was often labeled as demonic. A simple epileptic seizure was generally described as a demonic possession. Luckily, nowadays we don't sat that people with epilepsy are possessed by the devil.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:38 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,338,501 times
Quote:
I don't know if angels exist or not.

I do know Jesus existed because there is a historical record.

There is no historical record of the existence of Satan. All we know about Satan comes from the bible and the passages are usually allegoric. We cannot forget that religion is usually preached with the concept of fear, reward, and punishment. Within this scheme there is a need for Satan.

Satan simply represents the evil within us, but if the bible described evil that way there would be no concept of fear, reward,and punishment.

In addition, during biblical times the unknown was often labeled as demonic. A simple epileptic seizure was generally described as a demonic possession. Luckily, nowadays we don't sat that people with epilepsy are possessed by the devil.
Are you kidding me?
You really think only the bible mentions dark spirits or encounters??

Ever messed around with a ouija board?? (and most who mess with ouija boards are stone cold atheist)(but yet stuff still happens to them)

https://www.city-data.com/forum/hobbi...ds-anyone.html

And...

Cobwebs and Candlelight: The Ouija Board - A True Story

or...

Ghost Stories: Ouija Board Horror Ghost Story

The Christain bible isn't the only reference to 'evil' spirits or presence...

I'm just not so willing to dismiss the presense of evil, or evil beings...

I don't put that much faith in myself...

I consider all possibilities...

Old 02-19-2012, 02:09 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,549,847 times
Quote:
From a metaphysical standpoint Satan cannot exist. The Bible uses Satan as a symbol to instill fear.

Are you afraid?

How could anyone that knows God be afraid?
The fact that you do not believe that the Bible is the Word of God but only a brochure explains why you say such things. To quote you, "The Bible is not the word of God. The Bible is nothing but a brochure to follow God and was written by men that had their own agendas."

Metaphysics has nothing to do with it. The Devil is Gods and mans enemy because Jesus said so. Christ is the one who explains spiritual reality not metaphysics.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:08 AM

337 posts, read 410,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
I think it's because of pride. He is too proud to admit to God that he is inferior. JMO
This is a good point. Also, consider that humans know their fate, death, yet they continue to live like we have all the time in the world, plan our future, continute to live like we have purpose and meaning, etc... I have an 83 year old Father in law and he wants to buy a new truck. What?

Old 02-19-2012, 05:22 AM

32,533 posts, read 22,129,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Not only does he quote (Matt, Luke ) the bible, he twists an spins the verses to distort their meaning.

One of satan's best weapons against believers is the bible because it is easy to distort the truth by taking verses out of context and mix them up with lies and half truths in order to present a false message.
Give me some proofs here...

Old 02-19-2012, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
It doesn't.
So then why say that he does and thereby create a whole preachable doctrine out of it?...

Old 02-19-2012, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
'It doesn't'

Not sure if it does or not...

But one can only assume, if angels are higher than us in life order, and if we can read, why couldn't they...not only that but I'm sure their intellect is far superior than ours, they've been around a lot longer than us, and look at us like insects...

So I'm sure if we can read scripture, they can too...
This is why Calvin said it was dangerous to go outside the Scriptures with 'Undue Speculations'...If it does not state it then don't assume it...

Old 02-19-2012, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
A better question is "Why does God allow Satan to run wild through creation when he is supposed to be in hell being punished?"
------------------------

Calvin: Do you believe in the Devil? You know, a supreme evil being dedicated to the temptation, corruption, and destruction of man?

Hobbes: I'm not sure man needs the help.
Unlike Lucifer, Satan is a development tool employed by Yehovaw...

Old 02-19-2012, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
The Devil is in Hell [a place of utter spiritual darkness] but not in the lake of fire yet where he will be punished. Hell and the lake of fire are two different places. He is now being used by God to try men. For those who cling to Christ, He will as He said, "I will build My church and the gates of hell will not prevail against it." Hell is always nipping at mankind but the Lord is our refuge in time of need but only if we call upon Him otherwise we go our own way and are sucked in to hell by our own choices. God is the God of righteousness and the Devil is the god of those who love sin and will meet the same fate as him.

REV 20:13-14 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
Hades is merely the grave...The devil is not in hell, I think he still has access to the heavenlies...Now we understand the dead that are in the sea and we understand the dead that are in the grave...But how can death have dead?...Dead is dead...Unless it is referring to the grip death has on the soul, or that the dead were brought to life in order to judge them...Or is this some metaphor or idiom understood by the readers contemporaneous?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity