Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2021, 03:45 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Scripture tells us that the heart is deceitfully wicked. And that we should not deviate from the gospel that the apostles preached.

If an experience contradicts Scripture, then it's wrong.
Proverbs 4:23
Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.

Whether good or bad! However, it is NOT deceitfully wicked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2021, 03:47 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,683,545 times
Quote:
No. We don't.

Scripture tells us that the heart is deceitfully wicked. And that we should not deviate from the gospel that the apostles preached.

No. It really isn't.

If an experience contradicts Scripture, then it's wrong.
For you it is because you are bound to your tradition, under your pastor which is right for you

For others they have a different “type” of bondage, under a different head/pastor/priest

We are told that there is more than just that layer though

Old 08-07-2021, 03:52 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Not even close. The fact that you can't understand that is mind-boggling.
And again. We know that "EXPERIENCE" is not dependable. Ask any detective, they'll tell you eye witness is the worst kind of proof. What you experienced is subjective, and suspect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Then, that makes your biblical eye-witnesses of the resurrection the worst kind of proof?
He seems oblivious to the contradictory implications of what he believes, Jer.

Quote:
Why are we told under the New Covenant that we have the Comforter to guide us to the Truth God has "written in our hearts"? You're referring to Jeremiah in the OT which was true about our ancestors' hearts before Jesus came and God wrote in our hearts.

Old 08-08-2021, 01:53 AM

8,039 posts, read 1,835,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Just about everything from what I can see. Did you know that the law is for the salvation of the soul? obviously not as you said it has nothing to do with salvation.
You are mistaken.

What you need to ask is, how does the law have the power to convert the soul (Psalms 19:7)?

It does so by showing us that we are sinners in need of a Saviour (Galatians 3:24, Romans 3:20).

It leads us to Christ so that we can be saved through Him (and what He did for us on the Cross).

But that the law does not have the power to impart life should be evident to you as soon as you read Galatians 3:21.

Old 08-08-2021, 06:23 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,381,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
You are mistaken.

What you need to ask is, how does the law have the power to convert the soul (Psalms 19:7)?

It does so by showing us that we are sinners in need of a Saviour (Galatians 3:24, Romans 3:20).

It leads us to Christ so that we can be saved through Him (and what He did for us on the Cross).

But that the law does not have the power to impart life should be evident to you as soon as you read Galatians 3:21.
LOL you said the law has nothing to do with salvation, now you are changing your mind, saying I am wrong and then proceed to show I was right all along.

Old 08-08-2021, 07:47 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Why are we told under the New Covenant that we have the Comforter to guide us to the Truth God has "written in our hearts"? You're referring to Jeremiah in the OT which was true about our ancestors' hearts before Jesus came and God wrote in our hearts.
Why do you believe any of the apostles wrote any letters at all if we are to just follow Jesus in our hearts?

Old 08-08-2021, 09:11 AM

Quote:
LOL you said the law has nothing to do with salvation, now you are changing your mind, saying I am wrong and then proceed to show I was right all along.
My point is that if salvation is the impartation of life, then the law has nothing to do with it (Galatians 3:21).

But of course the law has the power to convert the soul (not save it); in that it shows a man that he is a sinner in need of a Saviour (Galatians 3:24, Romans 3:20); so that he may come to Christ and be saved through faith in Christ.

The point being that the impartation of life is through faith in Christ and not through keeping the law (see Galatians 2:16).

Old 08-08-2021, 09:33 AM

Quote:
My point is that if salvation is the impartation of life, then the law has nothing to do with it (Galatians 3:21).

But of course the law has the power to convert the soul (not save it); in that it shows a man that he is a sinner in need of a Saviour (Galatians 3:24, Romans 3:20); so that he may come to Christ and be saved through faith in Christ.

The point being that the impartation of life is through faith in Christ and not through keeping the law (see Galatians 2:16).
close, but again that is not what you originally said. If the law leads to Christ then it does indeed have its part, and keeping the law is life, however only those who walk in the spirit can keep/fulfill the law, the natural man or those who walk after the flesh cannot.

It is all about the old man nature and the new man nature, but as you seem to know nothing of these natures I do not expect you to understand the above.

Old 08-08-2021, 09:42 AM

Quote:
close, but again that is not what you originally said. If the law leads to Christ then it does indeed have its part, and keeping the law is life, however only those who walk in the spirit can keep/fulfill the law, the natural man or those who walk after the flesh cannot.

It is all about the old man nature and the new man nature, but as you seem to know nothing of these natures I do not expect you to understand the above.
What was my original statement that you are contending with?

Would you please provide a link to the post?

Old 08-08-2021, 10:05 AM

Quote:
What was my original statement that you are contending with?

Would you please provide a link to the post?
don't know why I always have to do your work for you. post 339
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity