Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2021, 12:32 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,337,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
The followers of Jim Jones, David Koresh, and others all said the same thing.

They believed it because their hearts told them it was true.
What is telling you that your beliefs are true? Also, I think both of those guys were literalists and very very Christain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2021, 12:37 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,393,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
What is telling you that your beliefs are true? Also, I think both of those guys were literalists and very very Christain.
lol yup and what I find ironic coming from BF is even through scriptures say Jesus came to save the world JB reject those scripture for a belief that He only came to save the elect, and yet he is all over mystic for rejecting scripture he does not believe is scripture.

Old 08-07-2021, 12:39 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
The followers of Jim Jones, David Koresh, and others all said the same thing.
They believed it because their hearts told them it was true.
Those guys believed pretty much the same things you do, BF. It was my EXPERIENCE, not my heart that brought me to Jesus. Why do you keep getting that wrong, BF???

Old 08-07-2021, 12:42 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
When I first read of mystics experience I was a little skeptical myself, but the simple fact is while mystic came to his revelation through his experience I came to a lot of the same conclusions he does through the study of scripture, so for other to say what mystic believes is not scriptural just tells me they do not understand the scriptures or more likely don't understand what mystic is trying to get across. Me and mystic do have our differences in understanding but we both stand on the ground that we are to listen only to what Jesus said and did over the words and thoughts of any man whether that man be Moses or Elijah. And yes that IS scriptural.

Old 08-07-2021, 01:13 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,178,732 times
Quote:
Why do you believe that? There is no shortage of men in history that have made that claim and have been shown to be crazy, or liars, or simply mistaken.
Paul said so, many years of my own experience lead me to conclusion that Paul (and Christ Jesus) was right, there a state if spiritual development that that almost everyone passes through described in 2Cor 2:14. this state can be temporary or almost permanent if wrong beacons (like false prophets encountered). 12"For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the basic principles of the oracles of God. You need milk, not solid food,"

Old 08-07-2021, 03:09 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,033,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
God's Word.

Old 08-07-2021, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Those guys believed pretty much the same things you do, BF. It was my EXPERIENCE, not my heart that brought me to Jesus. Why do you keep getting that wrong, BF???
Not even close. The fact that you can't understand that is mind-boggling.

And again. We know that "EXPERIENCE" is not dependable. Ask any detective, they'll tell you eye witness is the worst kind of proof. What you experienced is subjective, and suspect.

Old 08-07-2021, 03:20 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,709,906 times
Quote:

And again. We know that "EXPERIENCE" is not dependable. Ask any detective, they'll tell you eye witness is the worst kind of proof. What you experienced is subjective, and suspect.
But in the Scriptures we see that there is a progression from the written/objective to the vocal/subjective and life is totally about experiences

2 Corinthians 3 is speaking of this transition from letter/Law to Spirit/liberty

What we are to do is endeavour/try to understand putting “things” into their proper context, layer, relationship, etc

Old 08-07-2021, 03:31 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:

Then, that makes your biblical eye-witnesses of the resurrection the worst kind of proof?

Old 08-07-2021, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
But in the Scriptures we see that there is a progression from the written/objective to the vocal/subjective and life is totally about experiences
No. We don't.

Scripture tells us that the heart is deceitfully wicked. And that we should not deviate from the gospel that the apostles preached.
Quote:
2 Corinthians 3 is speaking of this transition from letter/Law to Spirit/liberty
No. It really isn't.
Quote:
What we are to do is endeavour/try to understand putting “things” into their proper context, layer, relationship, etc
If an experience contradicts Scripture, then it's wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity