Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2021, 10:44 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,233,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The forum seems to be dominated by fundamentalist wrath and vengeance Christians who as Ghandi said do not remotely resemble Jesus Christ. The militant atheists seem to be the only other consistent posters. The reduced traffic in the R&S forums may be related to that dominance of the extremes. Aren't there any other loving middle-of-the-roaders like JAA2310?

Do the majority of Christians believe in a wrathful and vengeful God despite the unambiguous demonstration of God's Holy Spirit of agape love by Jesus???? That just seems so oddly incongruous to me. The barbaric blood sacrifice meme is so completely primitive I am astounded it has held sway for so long. Are most people still really that barbaric-minded? That is such a depressing thought.

You're the one who's incongruous with Jesus' teachings. Not the other way around. Just sayin' And you probably never saw the kind of people you're looking for anyway. The past was MORE fundamentalist and fire and brimstone by far. By far. I think that's just a bit of bait you're throwing out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2021, 11:37 AM

63,791 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Why do you believe any of the apostles wrote any letters at all if we are to just follow Jesus in our hearts?
Because not everyone is at the same level of spiritual maturity or understanding. Most are still very carnal and they need the "carnal milk." They are not receptive to or sensitive to the spiritual guidance of the Comforter and are fearful of their hearts where God has written the Truth. Too many still consider the states of mind of God's Holy Spirit of agape love to be "wimpy," or "hippie," or "panty-waisted." You cannot receive the guidance of the Holy Spirit if you are NOT in those states of mind.

Old 08-08-2021, 11:55 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,013,134 times
Quote:
Because not everyone is at the same level of spiritual maturity or understanding. Most are still very carnal and they need the "carnal milk." They are not receptive to or sensitive to the spiritual guidance of the Comforter and are fearful of their hearts where God has written the Truth. Too many still consider the states of mind of God's Holy Spirit of agape love to be "wimpy," or "hippie," or "panty-waisted." You cannot receive the guidance of the Holy Spirit if you are NOT in those states of mind.
I keep asking you this. But how do you know that it was the Holy Spirit talking to you? You must think he's schizophrenic.

Old 08-08-2021, 02:07 PM

Quote:
I keep asking you this. But how do you know that it was the Holy Spirit talking to you? You must think he's schizophrenic.
I keep answering you the same way. God is the way JESUS unambiguously and "Unschizophrenically" showed Him to be on the Cross! God is NOT the wrathful and vengeful God imposing ALL punishments (and rewards) our ignorant primitive ancestors THOUGHT He was.

Old 08-08-2021, 09:45 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,837,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
don't know why I always have to do your work for you. post 339
post #339:

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
It is NOT satan's lie; it is the absolute truth of God by which only a man can be saved.

And no, salvation through the Cross has nothing to do with the law; except that the righteous requirements of the law are fulfilled through Jesus' perfect life and in that He died in my place, substituting His life for my own when I stand before God in judgment.
What I meant by salvation here is the impartation of life; which does not come through keeping the law (Galatians 2:16, 3:21).

I was not at that moment thinking of the law's role in converting the sinner; through showing mankind that he is a sinner in need of a Saviour. My bad.

I will say now, in correction of my former statement, that the law does have the power to convert the soul (Psalms 19:7); in that it shows man that he is a sinner in need of a Saviour; so that he can come to Christ for salvation (impartation of life).

But my point has been that salvation (impartation of life) does not and cannot come through the keeping of the law (Galatians 2:16, 3:21).

It only comes through faith in Jesus Christ.

The law only has the power to save inasmuch it leads a man to place his faith in Jesus Christ and what He did for him on the Cross. It does not directly save a man therefore, while it can do so indirectly, in that it converts a man to faith in Jesus Christ; which alone had the power to save.

Last edited by justbyfaith; 08-08-2021 at 10:20 PM..

Old 08-09-2021, 07:21 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,384,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
post #339:

What I meant by salvation here is the impartation of life; which does not come through keeping the law (Galatians 2:16, 3:21).

I was not at that moment thinking of the law's role in converting the sinner; through showing mankind that he is a sinner in need of a Saviour. My bad.

I will say now, in correction of my former statement, that the law does have the power to convert the soul (Psalms 19:7); in that it shows man that he is a sinner in need of a Saviour; so that he can come to Christ for salvation (impartation of life).

But my point has been that salvation (impartation of life) does not and cannot come through the keeping of the law (Galatians 2:16, 3:21).

It only comes through faith in Jesus Christ.

The law only has the power to save inasmuch it leads a man to place his faith in Jesus Christ and what He did for him on the Cross. It does not directly save a man therefore, while it can do so indirectly, in that it converts a man to faith in Jesus Christ; which alone had the power to save.
that clears it up and is very close to how I see it also.

Old 08-09-2021, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I keep answering you the same way. God is the way JESUS unambiguously and "Unschizophrenically" showed Him to be on the Cross! God is NOT the wrathful and vengeful God imposing ALL punishments (and rewards) our ignorant primitive ancestors THOUGHT He was.
Those of you who consider God's Holy Spirit as revealed and demonstrated by Jesus Christ's states of mind on the Cross to be "wimpy," or "hippie," or "panty-waisted" are blaspheming the Holy Spirit. I do not think that is very wise!! You cannot receive the guidance of the Holy Spirit if you are NOT in those states of mind.

Old 08-15-2021, 07:02 AM

1,750 posts, read 753,400 times
There can certainly be issues. I've been told to my face by well-meaning people that I am not a "real" Christian, because I am in the Society of Friends.

However, I do think most would help others if the chance happened. For example, if a fundamentalist who views being LGBTQIA+ a sin came across an LGBTQIA+ member needing some quick and easy help, I think they would help despite their views.

End of the day, Jesus told us to love our neighbor as ourself.

Old 08-15-2021, 07:41 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,013,134 times
Quote:
Were you there? How do you know? You haven't been alive 2000 years, have you? Or are you referring to getting catfished again?

Old 08-15-2021, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Those of you who consider God's Holy Spirit as revealed and demonstrated by Jesus Christ's states of mind on the Cross to be "wimpy," or "hippie," or "panty-waisted" are blaspheming the Holy Spirit. I do not think that is very wise!! You cannot receive the guidance of the Holy Spirit if you are NOT in those states of mind.
Quote:
Were you there? How do you know? You haven't been alive 2000 years, have you? Or are you referring to getting catfished again?
Who or what are you defending and protecting, BF? Are you defending a wrathful and vengeful God who needed to be appeased by a blood sacrifice for "whatever" against an agape loving God whose forgiveness is absolute and infinite??? None of us were there, but if the descriptions of what Jesus as God did on the Cross is accurate, there should have been no way that the current barbaric interpretation of what happened would EVER have been made.

Jesus demonstrated NO wrath or vengeance of any kind!! He loved and forgave even His torturers and murderers because they knew not what they did. Do you really think He would need such scourging and crucifixion to forgive us for eating a fruit or not believing some irrational "precepts and doctrines of men" ABOUT Him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity