Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2021, 11:18 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
I think you might have misunderstood me a little sis. When I am speaking of the outer man or flesh man I am speaking of the carnal minded man, the old man nature and all that comes with that nature and these things are all destroyed as Christ begins to shine forth in our lives. I also believe in the complete man, body, soul and spirit will all be saved.
... saving the man himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2021, 07:43 AM

8,039 posts, read 1,847,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The forum seems to be dominated by fundamentalist wrath and vengeance Christians who as Ghandi said do not remotely resemble Jesus Christ. The militant atheists seem to be the only other consistent posters. The reduced traffic in the R&S forums may be related to that dominance of the extremes. Aren't there any other loving middle-of-the-roaders like JAA2310?

Do the majority of Christians believe in a wrathful and vengeful God despite the unambiguous demonstration of God's Holy Spirit of agape love by Jesus???? That just seems so oddly incongruous to me. The barbaric blood sacrifice meme is so completely primitive I am astounded it has held sway for so long. Are most people still really that barbaric-minded? That is such a depressing thought.
Jesus died for us on the Cross and believing in this unequivocable truth for yourself is the only way to salvation.

Call it barbaric if you wish; but it is the testimony of holy scripture that Jesus died as a propitiation ("appeasement of wrath") for our sins.

The preaching of the Cross is foolishness to them that perish but to us who are being saved it is the power of God (1 Corinthians 1:18).

Since the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God through the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe (1 Corinthians 1:21).

Old 08-04-2021, 10:03 AM

63,843 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
Jesus died for us on the Cross and believing in this unequivocable truth for yourself is the only way to salvation.
Could you explain in your own words exactly how this mere belief has anything to do with our salvation???
Quote:
Call it barbaric if you wish; but it is the testimony of holy scripture that Jesus died as a propitiation ("appeasement of wrath") for our sins.
Oh, it is barbaric. Blood sacrifice is an extreme version of the scapegoat or whipping boy system. I will be interested to see your answer to the question above justifying how mere belief in such an atrocity saves us from anything.

Since it was our ancestors' sinful wrath that executed Jesus why would you think it propitiated God's wrath???
Quote:
The preaching of the Cross is foolishness to them that perish but to us who are being saved it is the power of God (1 Corinthians 1:18).
Since the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God through the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe (1 Corinthians 1:21).
That is true, but YOU are NOT preaching Jesus of the Cross. You are preaching Jesus of the Bible because preaching Jesus of the Cross is foolishness to you. It is "wimpy," "Hippie," and "panty-waisted."

Old 08-04-2021, 10:25 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,033,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
well we will disagree here as I have met more unbelievers who a more loving and kind to others then I have Christians.
That's like saying one pig was less covered in manure after wallowing in their sty.

Yes. Many unbelievers are decent, honest, moral people. But compared to God they are not even close to being "good". The fact that you can't fathom that is the issue. If you only recognized the depth of your own sin and the holy nature of God you wouldn't say that.

Old 08-04-2021, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
That's like saying one pig was less covered in manure after wallowing in their sty.

Yes. Many unbelievers are decent, honest, moral people. But compared to God they are not even close to being "good". The fact that you can't fathom that is the issue. If you only recognized the depth of your own sin and the holy nature of God you wouldn't say that.
What an utterly sick, pathetic, expression of self-loathing, lack of self-esteem, and lack of worth for all of humanity who are, as far as we can determine, the pinnacle of God's creation. We are given Dominion here by His Sovereign Will and you see us as manure and slop-covered swine instead of His beloved children. Therein lies the essential evil of human-corrupted dogma.

Old 08-04-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
What an utterly sick, pathetic, expression of self-loathing, lack of self-esteem, and lack of worth for all of humanity who are, as far as we can determine, the pinnacle of God's creation. We are given Dominion here by His Sovereign Will and you see us as manure and slop-covered swine instead of His beloved children. Therein lies the essential evil of human-corrupted dogma.
You mistake recognizing the holiness of God for lack of self esteem. I love myself. I don't know anyone that doesn't.

And yes, God did create us in his image and gave us dominion over his creation. No arguments.

But that doesn't change the fact that by nature, we thumb our noses at God every chance we get. Including badmouthing his Word and ranting about how it was written by barbaric primitive peoples. I mean...I understand why you do that. If you actually read it and agreed with what it said, you'd have to admit you're a sinner in need of a savior.

Old 08-04-2021, 10:55 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,330,906 times
Quote:

Pneuma was not comparing non believers to God. Why do you compare us non believers to a higher standard than you would your fellow Christains?

Old 08-04-2021, 10:57 AM

20,443 posts, read 12,801,153 times
Quote:
Let me guess, Jesus didn’t really tell the parable of the publican and the sinner. It was made up by ancient ignorants.

Old 08-04-2021, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Pneuma was not comparing non believers to God. Why do you compare us non believers to a higher standard than you would your fellow Christains?
Go back and read the post. Pneuma specifically mentioned unbelievers. And then I went on to say that yes, many unbelievers are decent, nice, moral people.

Follow the conversation. We were talking about all of us compared to God.

Old 08-04-2021, 11:40 AM

Quote:
You mistake recognizing the holiness of God for lack of self esteem. I love myself. I don't know anyone that doesn't.

And yes, God did create us in his image and gave us dominion over his creation. No arguments.

But that doesn't change the fact that by nature, we thumb our noses at God every chance we get. Including badmouthing his Word and ranting about how it was written by barbaric primitive peoples. I mean...I understand why you do that. If you actually read it and agreed with what it said, you'd have to admit you're a sinner in need of a savior.
That is not what your pathetic dogma has birthed in its human-corrupted ignorance of God's True Nature as revealed and unambiguously demonstrated by Jesus! What you have done is compare the behavior and understanding of a two-year-old throwing a tantrum to a manure-covered swine compared to His father.

We are a relatively young species (the dinosaurs existed for many millions of years) and we are still in our spiritual childhood. We were in our spiritual infancy back then. This nonsense of judging our immaturity as some sort of essential evil in us is human judgment run amok. God knows better and loves ALL His immature children, even the spiritual two-year-old tantrum throwers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity