Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2021, 03:19 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
that was an awful fast response to the link I provided, did you even bother to read it and grasp what I said or is this just a knee jerk reaction after maybe a quick scan?
Yes. I read it.

And I've heard that argument before. It just doesn't hold water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2021, 03:19 PM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
The dead cannot reach out in faith until they have been resurrected Mike. When you were born did you somehow help your parents or was it all your parents doing? You seem to think you helped in your own birth

And you still have not explained how one who is at enmity with God can somehow believe Him? or how a leopard can change his spots?

What you are saying is the carnal mind can accept spiritual things, but scripture does not bare that out.

You do not help God in your own salvation, God first has to give you the seeing eye and hearing ear and the carnal minded just do not have these things until regeneration.
That's typical Calvinistic nonsense.

And I actually have already explained it. One more time. The Gospel message is presented to a person. The Holy Spirit makes the Gospel message understandable to that person in common grace. That person must then choose for or against the gospel message concerning Jesus. Common grace as it applies to the gospel is presented in John 16:8-11.

A person comes to Jesus in response to the Gospel message which the Holy Spirit makes perspicacious to that person. If that person then places his faith in Christ then he is regenerated. It's Calvinism that puts the cart before the horse.

Old 08-03-2021, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post

And I actually have already explained it. One more time. The Gospel message is presented to a person. The Holy Spirit makes the Gospel message understandable to that person in common grace. That person must then choose for or against the gospel message concerning Jesus. Common grace as it applies to the gospel is presented in John 16:8-11.

A person comes to Jesus in response to the Gospel message which the Holy Spirit makes perspicacious to that person. If that person then places his faith in Christ then he is regenerated. It's Calvinism that puts the cart before the horse.
That's semi-pelagianism.

Old 08-03-2021, 03:23 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,393,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
So it's all just one big allegory about God killing our old nature? Really? I'm sorry. I just don't buy it.

hmm while that is the purpose of the wrath/judgments of God BF whether you believe it or not.

Quote:
Of course I do. God will redeem those that hate him. He will punish evildoers and cast them into a lake of fire
So a good person who has helped people out his whole life, a loving father and husband but one who never accepted Jesus is to be eternally torment because according to you that person is an evil doer?

And as you seem to be a Calvinist how can that person who never accepted Jesus ever have any chance if he is not one of the elect?

Old 08-03-2021, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yes. I read it.

And I've heard that argument before. It just doesn't hold water.
that fine, other would disagree with you

Old 08-03-2021, 03:27 PM

Quote:

in other word you helped with your own birth, good grief. You are not born except by the will of God.

Old 08-03-2021, 03:47 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,330,906 times
Quote:
as I said people do tend to take things personally, but that cannot be helped especially on these types of forums.
Then they should not accuse those who have a diffetent view about God or not believing in theitr God as hating God. That is attempts to make it personal.

Anyone on the first time at this forum who not view the Christains posring here being loving.

Old 08-03-2021, 03:59 PM

Quote:
hmm while that is the purpose of the wrath/judgments of God BF whether you believe it or not.

So a good person who has helped people out his whole life, a loving father and husband but one who never accepted Jesus is to be eternally torment because according to you that person is an evil doer?
There is no such thing as a "good person" who God has not regenerated.
Quote:
And as you seem to be a Calvinist how can that person who never accepted Jesus ever have any chance if he is not one of the elect?
He won't want to.

Old 08-03-2021, 04:38 PM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
in other word you helped with your own birth, good grief. You are not born except by the will of God.
No, not in other words. As I've said, faith is not a meritorious work by which you can earn or merit salvation. Faith is simply the means by which the salvation which is being offered is taken possession of. A gift which is offered must be taken hold of by the one to which it is being offered. Someone hands something to you but you must reach out and take what is being handed to you.

I will never buy into that Calvinistic theology which you have lifted from Calvinism.

I did a thread on the fact that faith precedes regeneration back in 2010.

http:////www.city-data.com/forum/chr...eneration.html

Jesus didn't say ''He who has been saved will believe in Me.'' He said ''He who believes in Him (speaking of himself) will have eternal life.'' John 6:40. The order is believe first (have faith) and then eternal life.

Besides Ephesians 2:8 Paul put belief first which results in salvation in Acts 16:31.

And in Romans 10:10 righteousness results from believing and salvation results from confessing. In Romans 10:14-15 belief (faith) comes by hearing the Gospel as I have been saying.

Old 08-03-2021, 04:53 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
No, not in other words. As I've said, faith is not a meritorious work by which you can earn or merit salvation. Faith is simply the means by which the salvation which is being offered is taken possession of. A gift which is offered must be taken hold of by the one to which it is being offered. Someone hands something to you but you must reach out and take what is being handed to you.

I will never buy into that Calvinistic theology which you have lifted from Calvinism.

I did a thread on the fact that faith precedes regeneration back in 2010.

http:////www.city-data.com/forum/chr...eneration.html

Jesus didn't say ''He who has been saved will believe in Me.'' He said ''He who believes in Him (speaking of himself) will have eternal life.'' John 6:40. The order is believe first (have faith) and then eternal life.

Besides Ephesians 2:8 Paul put belief first which results in salvation in Acts 16:31.

And in Romans 10:10 righteousness results from believing and salvation results from confessing. In Romans 10:14-15 belief (faith) comes by hearing the Gospel as I have been saying.
Your offer/gift nonsense does not apply to what Christ accomplished. It cannot be undone and it was for the entire human species. Whether or not we believe it and take full advantage of it is the only consideration that involves our receipt of the gift. It is more like someone saving your life without your permission. Your life is still saved and what you do about it is your only concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity