Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2021, 12:21 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I disagree. God being jealous for His people is no different than a husband being jealous if someone flirts with his wife.
Please, grow up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2021, 12:23 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
You have rejected God’s son, that’s what.
The ignorance you exhibit is down right foolishness.

Old 08-17-2021, 12:31 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
What is evil about choosing not to be a Christian, but still loving people, being kind to humanity and nature and doing good? According to some, if you don't say certain words, you're doomed to burn for eternity. That ain't right.
Quote:
Do you really think that is evil, Jimmie, especially when it is actually just rejecting the "precepts and doctrines of men" ABOUT God's Son? That attitude is exactly how a cancerous mind thinks. Cancer cells spread and grow at the expense of other cells in the body, that is why they are so deadly. A cancerous mind wants to spread and grow at the expense of all other minds that do not think the same way. It discriminates and makes up threats and punishments to try to get compliance. What kind of God would actually do that, Jimmie???

Old 08-17-2021, 12:42 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
There is nothing wrong with wanting to see evil punished. It shows a properly ordered sense of justice as long as we recognize that inflicting punishment and vengeance is God's job and not ours.
Quote:
What is evil about choosing not to be a Christian, but still loving people, being kind to humanity and nature and doing good? According to some, if you don't say certain words, you're doomed to burn for eternity. That ain't right.
If someone is in hell, it's not simply because they "chose not to be a Christian", nor does it have anything to do with saying certain words. If a person is in hell, to paraphrase St. Anselm, it's because he has not chosen what he ought, he has not submitted to God's will, and he has disturbed the order and beauty of the universe. This is what sin is.

"Loving people, being kind to humanity and nature and doing good" are fine things; but loving God and submitting to His will is most important. One can do those things you listed from a motive of pride, self love, and self-satisfaction. What merit is in them in that case?

Old 08-17-2021, 12:51 PM

Quote:
If someone is in hell, it's not simply because they "chose not to be a Christian", nor does it have anything to do with saying certain words. If a person is in hell, to paraphrase St. Anselm, it's because he has not chosen what he ought, he has not submitted to God's will, and he has disturbed the order and beauty of the universe. This is what sin is.

"Loving people, being kind to humanity and nature and doing good" are fine things; but loving God and submitting to His will is most important. One can do those things you listed from a motive of pride, self love, and self-satisfaction. What merit is in them in that case?
More merit than doing it out of obedience to avoid some preposterous eternal Hell of torment from a demanding Godfather God!!!!!!

Old 08-17-2021, 01:00 PM

25,461 posts, read 9,821,441 times
Quote:
i have no problem with Jesus.

Old 08-17-2021, 01:01 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
More merit than doing it out of obedience to avoid some preposterous eternal Hell of torment from a demanding Godfather God!!!!!!
I disagree with your description of God, but I also disagree that there would be more merit in doing an act out of self love vs. doing the act out of fear.

Though obedience out of fear is not perfect or ideal, it's preferable to obedience out of self-love; because at least fear implies some sense of humility and recognizance of one's proper place in the order of things.

Of course, the ideal is obedience out of pure love of God. It's a lofty and seemingly impossible goal, but God offers enough grace to us to make it attainable.

Old 08-17-2021, 01:05 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,801,153 times
Quote:
i have no problem with Jesus.
Then perhaps you are a Christian after all.

Old 08-17-2021, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I disagree with your description of God, but I also disagree that there would be more merit in doing an act out of self love vs. doing the act out of fear.
Though obedience out of fear is not perfect or ideal, it's preferable to obedience out of self-love; because at least fear implies some sense of humility and recognizance of one's proper place in the order of things.
Of course, the ideal is obedience out of pure love of God. It's a lofty and seemingly impossible goal, but God offers enough grace to us to make it attainable.
Obey me OR ELSE is the epitome of a Godfather, Mike. It is a perfect description of the God of an eternal Hell and damnation. I disagree and reject your belief that we are supposed to be obedient pets in some obedience training program by God. We are God's children and we are to mature and develop our Spirits to be as close to God's as possible while here.

Old 08-17-2021, 01:14 PM

25,461 posts, read 9,821,441 times
Quote:
Then perhaps you are a Christian after all.
I don't consider myself one because I believe there are many paths to the Source of Life that connects us all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity