Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2021, 12:16 PM

25,461 posts, read 9,821,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Oh? What verse says that? You going to misquote Luke 17?

https://www.gotquestions.org/kingdom...ithin-you.html
Luke 17:21 "Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you."
I believe that is the quote if I'm not mistaken. Perhaps that is not what people interpret that to mean, but I like it and it works for me. Gives me comfort to know that the Source of Life of the Universe dwells within us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2021, 12:24 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Luke 17:21 "Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you."
I believe that is the quote if I'm not mistaken.
You are correct, trobesmom. BF and others prefer to mistranslate "within you" to "among you" or "within your midst." Our ancestors had no concept of consciousness as the locus of personhood or the spiritual realm of God, so they could not have comprehended it spiritually as Jesus intended anyway.

Old 08-19-2021, 12:34 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Our ancestors had no concept of consciousness as the locus of personhood or the spiritual realm of God, so they could not have comprehended it spiritually as Jesus intended anyway.
How can you underestimate our ancestors so badly?

Have you ever read any of the ancient philosophers?

Do you believe that at some point in human history a switch flipped or something, causing some kind of new illumination or enlightenment? If so, I would call that belief highly suspect.

Old 08-19-2021, 12:44 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,033,638 times
Quote:
I believe that is the quote if I'm not mistaken. Perhaps that is not what people interpret that to mean, but I like it and it works for me. Gives me comfort to know that the Source of Life of the Universe dwells within us.
So you are misquoting that. Did you bother to read the link I posted on it? It clearly does not say what you think it says.

But if life only worked that way. I'd love to just interpret my bank account to mean I have 5 times what I do. But unfortunately the bank won't let me.

Old 08-19-2021, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
So you are misquoting that. Did you bother to read the link I posted on it? It clearly does not say what you think it says.

But if life only worked that way. I'd love to just interpret my bank account to mean I have 5 times what I do. But unfortunately the bank won't let me.
But numbers in a bank account aren't subject to interpretation. Scripture is. Everyone has his own belief about what the bible says or doesn't say. No one has a corner on the truth market, not even those who think they do. And yes, I read your link because I saw that same link before I posted. Men interpreted the scriptures and thus are subject to fallibility in their interpretation.

If men of old were supposedly inspired by God to write the bible, then why can't the rest of us be inspired by that same spirit? Who says that the bible is the be all end all of how God communicates with us? It's just one book of many. Many paths, one Source.

Old 08-19-2021, 12:56 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
The Spirit of life dwells within all living things.
Inclusive of people no matter where they are.

Old 08-19-2021, 12:58 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
But numbers in a bank account aren't subject to interpretation. Scripture is. Everyone has his own belief about what the bible says or doesn't say. No one has a corner on the truth market, not even those who think they do. And yes, I read your link because I saw that same link before I posted. Men interpreted the scriptures and thus are subject to fallibility in their interpretation.

If men of old were supposedly inspired by God to write the bible, then why can't the rest of us be inspired by that same spirit? Who says that the bible is the be all end all of how God communicates with us? It's just one book of many. Many paths, one Source.
Ever journey begins with a first step; and every step is a new journey.

Old 08-19-2021, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
The Spirit of life dwells within all living things.
Inclusive of people no matter where they are.

Indeed, Jerwade. God is big enough to encompass and indwell us all.

Old 08-19-2021, 01:14 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,801,153 times
That the kingdom of God does NOT reside in every person should be obvious by reading scripture and watching the morning news.

Old 08-19-2021, 01:30 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,393,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
That the kingdom of God does NOT reside in every person should be obvious by reading scripture and watching the morning news.
the light that enlightens every one coming into the world Jimmie. and you seem to forget that satan sowed tares within and it is those tares you see watching the morning news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity