Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2021, 01:15 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Obey me OR ELSE is the epitome of a Godfather, Mike. It is a perfect description of the God of an eternal Hell and damnation. I disagree and reject your belief that we are supposed to be obedient pets in some obedience training program by God. We are God's children and we are to mature and develop our Spirits to be as close to God's as possible while here.
I don't understand where your objection lies.

Our obedience to God can only be for our own good. Our disobedience to God can only result in bad for us.

If our disobedience to God will yield negative consequences for us, then there is nothing wrong with the authority (God) saying "Obey me, or else bad things will happen to you".

The fear of negative consequences for our sinful actions should be a motivator for us to avoid sin, but it shouldn't be the primary motivator. As you say, that's part of maturation and development - working toward our motivation being pure love of God rather than fear of consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2021, 01:23 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,801,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I don't consider myself one because I believe there are many paths to the Source of Life that connects us all.
Then you do have a problem with Jesus, as He claimed to be the only way to God.

Old 08-17-2021, 01:25 PM

25,461 posts, read 9,821,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Then you do have a problem with Jesus, as He claimed to be the only way to God.
I don't think you get to tell me who I have a problem with. You just mind your own path. As Desmond said on the "Lost" series when he ran into Jack before the crash, "see you in another life, brother."

Old 08-17-2021, 01:26 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,709,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post

Our obedience to God can only be for our own good. Our disobedience to God can only result in bad for us.

If our disobedience to God will yield negative consequences for us, then there is nothing wrong with the authority (God) saying "Obey me, or else bad things will happen to you".

The fear of negative consequences for our sinful actions should be a motivator for us to avoid sin, but it shouldn't be the primary motivator. As you say, that's part of maturation and development - working toward our motivation being pure love of God rather than fear of consequences.
His objection lies in the system that promotes it’s own salvation over the salvation of the other, over the lost, over the sinner, the system that forgets and has forgotten its own mission of service, which puts doctrines, goods, knowledge (earthly) above the qualities that is the highest (heavenly)

This is a very hard thing to let go of, and it is a natural urge to protect and defend and to attack and to build and to conquer

Mat 20:25**But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them.
Mat 20:26**But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister;
Mat 20:27**And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant:
Mat 20:28**Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.

Old 08-17-2021, 01:32 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
His objection lies in the system that promotes it’s own salvation over the salvation of the other, over the lost, over the sinner, the system that forgets and has forgotten its own mission of service, which puts doctrines, goods, knowledge (earthly) above the qualities that is the highest (heavenly)

This is a very hard thing to let go of, and it is a natural urge to protect and defend and to attack and to build and to conquer

Mat 20:25**But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them.
Mat 20:26**But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister;
Mat 20:28**Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.
Hits the nail on the head, Meerkat!!!

Old 08-17-2021, 01:37 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
The very CONCEPT of an Eternal Hell of torment is such an abomination to any sane mind, it has no place being used as a threat to obtain obedience by our loving Father God, period!!!! It only serves to promote membership in the institution that uses the threat.

Old 08-17-2021, 01:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Hits the nail on the head, Meerkat!!!
"The system" being the Catholic Church?

Though the Church is made up of humans, many of whom are deeply flawed (even evil), I reject the notion that the Church, as a body, does the things you named.

I am the "other", the lost sinner who found hope for eternal salvation in the Church. The Catholic Church is where Jesus Christ is.

In spite of the tendency of humans throughout history to use the Church for the advancement of their own purposes (and they will answer for it), the Church is where God's Grace is made manifest through the Sacraments.

Where else can I be equipped with the spiritual tools I need to gain heaven? Where else can I consume the Body of Christ Himself, apart from which I would have no life?

Old 08-17-2021, 01:50 PM

7,530 posts, read 3,032,424 times
Quote:

Mat 20:27**And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servanes Christt:
These two wascals have never been hurt. They live in their own wee world, oblivious to the call of the Christ to take up your cross and follow Me. One can quote Scriptures, but have you come to your end within the cross?

Jesus Christ has come to end your life in His.

Old 08-17-2021, 01:50 PM

Quote:
The very CONCEPT of an Eternal Hell of torment is such an abomination to any sane mind
You don't believe St. Thomas Aquinas had a "sane mind"?

Quote:
it has no place being used as a threat to obtain obedience by our loving Father God, period!!!!
It's not used as a "threat". Its existence is taught as dogmatic fact, because its existence is real. It's a warning, not a "threat".

Quote:
It only serves to promote membership in the institution that uses the threat.
I didn't think of you as being so cynical.

Old 08-17-2021, 01:59 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,801,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I don't think you get to tell me who I have a problem with. You just mind your own path. As Desmond said on the "Lost" series when he ran into Jack before the crash, "see you in another life, brother."
Too late, I already told you. What you do with that info is up to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity