Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2021, 02:02 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,707,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
"The system" being the Catholic Church?

Though the Church is made up of humans, many of whom are deeply flawed (even evil), I reject the notion that the Church, as a body, does the things you named.

I am the "other", the lost sinner who found hope for eternal salvation in the Church. The Catholic Church is where Jesus Christ is.

In spite of the tendency of humans throughout history to use the Church for the advancement of their own purposes, the Church is where God's Grace is made manifest through the Sacraments.

Where else can I be equipped with the spiritual tools I need to gain heaven? Where else can I consume the Body of Christ Himself, apart from which I would have no life?
No - it is not specifically the Catholic Church

It is any part of the church that takes upon itself the role of dominion and victory of the people

The RCC and the Protestant are in the higher up “war” being fought in the principalities and the multitudes underneath are the collateral damage of their war

The regular Christian is in service to the visible church, and gives willingly to the organisations that they are affiliated with, which is good, and what they should do, but Christianity is not confined to that visible, physical “bonded” church

The Whole Armor of God
Eph 6:10**Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
Eph 6:11**Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
Eph 6:12**For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Eph 6:13**Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
Eph 6:14**Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
Eph 6:15**And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
Eph 6:16**Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
Eph 6:17**And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
Eph 6:18**Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;
Eph 6:19**And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel,
Eph 6:20**For which I am an ambassador in bonds: that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.

Live as You Are Called
1Co 7:17**But as God hath distributed to every man, as the Lord hath called every one, so let him walk. And so ordain I in all churches.
1Co 7:18**Is any man called being circumcised? let him not become uncircumcised. Is any called in uncircumcision? let him not be circumcised.

1Co 7:19**Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God.
1Co 7:20**Let every man abide in the same calling wherein he was called.
1Co 7:21**Art thou called being a servant? care not for it: but if thou mayest be made free, use it rather.
1Co 7:22**For he that is called in the Lord, being a servant, is the Lord's freeman: likewise also he that is called, being free, is Christ's servant.
1Co 7:23**Ye are bought with a price; be not ye the servants of men.
1Co 7:24**Brethren, let every man, wherein he is called, therein abide with God.

Not everyone has the same “calling” and we are to respect anothers calling, not just think of our own
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2021, 02:15 PM

25,461 posts, read 9,821,441 times
Quote:
If someone is in hell, it's not simply because they "chose not to be a Christian", nor does it have anything to do with saying certain words. If a person is in hell, to paraphrase St. Anselm, it's because he has not chosen what he ought, he has not submitted to God's will, and he has disturbed the order and beauty of the universe. This is what sin is.

"Loving people, being kind to humanity and nature and doing good" are fine things; but loving God and submitting to His will is most important. One can do those things you listed from a motive of pride, self love, and self-satisfaction. What merit is in them in that case?
I feel like I am in God's will. Maybe not the way you see God, but nevertheless.

Old 08-17-2021, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Too late, I already told you. What you do with that info is up to you.
I John 3:21. "Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God."

My heart does not condemn me.

Old 08-17-2021, 02:20 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
No - it is not specifically the Catholic Church

It is any part of the church that takes upon itself the role of dominion and victory of the people

The RCC and the Protestant are in the higher up “war” being fought in the principalities and the multitudes underneath are the collateral damage of their war

The regular Christian is in service to the visible church, and gives willingly to the organisations that they are affiliated with, which is good, and what they should do, but Christianity is not confined to that visible, physical “bonded” church

The Whole Armor of God
Eph 6:10**Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
Eph 6:11**Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
Eph 6:12**For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Eph 6:13**Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
Eph 6:14**Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
Eph 6:15**And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
Eph 6:16**Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
Eph 6:17**And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
Eph 6:18**Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;
Eph 6:19**And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel,
Eph 6:20**For which I am an ambassador in bonds: that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.

Live as You Are Called
1Co 7:17**But as God hath distributed to every man, as the Lord hath called every one, so let him walk. And so ordain I in all churches.
1Co 7:18**Is any man called being circumcised? let him not become uncircumcised. Is any called in uncircumcision? let him not be circumcised.

1Co 7:19**Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God.
1Co 7:20**Let every man abide in the same calling wherein he was called.
1Co 7:21**Art thou called being a servant? care not for it: but if thou mayest be made free, use it rather.
1Co 7:22**For he that is called in the Lord, being a servant, is the Lord's freeman: likewise also he that is called, being free, is Christ's servant.
1Co 7:23**Ye are bought with a price; be not ye the servants of men.
1Co 7:24**Brethren, let every man, wherein he is called, therein abide with God.

Not everyone has the same “calling” and we are to respect anothers calling, not just think of our own
Thanks for clarifying. No, not everyone has the same calling in the way Paul meant in the 1 Corinthians 7 passage you quoted, BUT everyone is called to follow Christ.

Old 08-17-2021, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I feel like I am in God's will. Maybe not the way you see God, but nevertheless.
I'm in no position to judge you. I can only challenge the things you post that I find objectionable.

I would just say that our "feelings" are fickle and deceptive, and not something I would advise placing any trust in.

Old 08-17-2021, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I'm in no position to judge you. I can only challenge the things you post that I find objectionable.

I would just say that our "feelings" are fickle and deceptive, and not something I would advise placing any trust in.
I didn't say my feelings. I said my heart doesn't condemn me, just like in the scripture I quoted.

Old 08-17-2021, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I didn't say my feelings. I said my heart doesn't condemn me, just like in the scripture I quoted.
No, that's what you said to jimmie.

This is what you said to me:

Quote:

Old 08-17-2021, 02:34 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
"The system" being the Catholic Church?
Don't take things personally, Mike. It is ANY generic church or institution, although the Catholic Church is a major abuser for its own perpetuation. Any exercise of worldly authority or accumulation and retention of wealth under the auspices of representing God is an abomination, IMO. The God I encountered would never endorse it nor would Jesus of the Cross, since their consciousnesses match, IMO.

Old 08-17-2021, 02:35 PM

Quote:
No, that's what you said to jimmie.

This is what you said to me:
Well, then, we'll just go with the "my heart doesn't condemn me" part.

Old 08-17-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Well, then, we'll just go with the "my heart doesn't condemn me" part.
LOL,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity