Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2021, 12:13 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times

Advertisements

When justice is done, it is a joy to the righteous
but terror to evildoers.

~Proverbs 21:15
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2021, 04:44 PM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorOldSpike View Post
Can anyone clarify something for me please?-

When the resurrected dead arrive at the gates of heaven and Peter asks "Are you Christians?" will he let any in who say "No"?
According to Jesus, heaven is an exclusive 'Christians only' gated community, so wouldn't letting non-christians in be a case of "oops there goes the neighbourhood"?
Your understanding of things is very poor. Resurrection is as N. T. Wright puts it, ''Life after life after death.' Resurrection is not dying and going to heaven. Resurrection, which is bodily, comes after that intermediate state in heaven. A person dies and goes to heaven, then at some point in the future will be bodily resurrected and live on the earth.

Biblically speaking, a person has to place his faith in Christ in order to have eternal life and 'go to heaven.'

Dying and going to heaven and being bodily resurrected are two different things.

Old 10-01-2021, 04:59 PM

2,264 posts, read 973,367 times
The purpose of this sliver of physical life at the beginning of our eternal existence is to freely choose who and where we want to be for eternity. If your child chooses to reject good and embrace evil they condemn themselves. And after all, they're God's children too.

Old 10-01-2021, 05:13 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,921,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Humphrey View Post
Won't it be jolly to be singing with the angels in heaven, knowing that your child is meanwhile screaming in the eternal torments of hell?

Who can honestly say they'd be fine with it?

I am not asking for scriptural references alone, but for the human, emotional and psychological aspects of the situation.

Symbolism was taught in the NT about an eternal suffering.
The true living God = a God of justice, love, mercy. His justice scales are in perfect balance.
So for 70-90 years say. God could not condemn one to trillions x trillions x trillions, etc of never ending years of punishment. Only a sadist God could do such a thing.
The true living God set before all-(Deuteronomy 30:19--Life or death ), both will be eternal.

The symbolism = As each new day dawns in Gods kingdom, those who missed out miss each day( to expierience Gods love as well), it never ends.

Old 10-01-2021, 06:47 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Symbolism was taught in the NT about an eternal suffering.
The true living God = a God of justice, love, mercy. His justice scales are in perfect balance.
So for 70-90 years say. God could not condemn one to trillions x trillions x trillions, etc of never ending years of punishment. Only a sadist God could do such a thing.
The true living God set before all-(Deuteronomy 30:19--Life or death ), both will be eternal.

The symbolism = As each new day dawns in Gods kingdom, those who missed out miss each day( to experience Gods love as well), it never ends.
When you take your last breath, it may be that your existence ends?

But one thing is for sure, whatever happens to one, happens to all men.

Old 10-01-2021, 10:11 PM

23,175 posts, read 10,468,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
The purpose of this sliver of physical life at the beginning of our eternal existence is to freely choose who and where we want to be for eternity. If your child chooses to reject good and embrace evil they condemn themselves. And after all, they're God's children too.
Doesnt add up, something that is eternal doesnt have a beginning nor an end.

Why would you think that your existance began with you being born on this Earth?

We fell here, that's my good opinion.

Old 10-02-2021, 12:53 AM

6,798 posts, read 2,914,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
When justice is done, it is a joy to the righteous
but terror to evildoers.

~Proverbs 21:15
As it is written (Romans 3:10), there is none righteous, no, not one. So, who is celebrating 'justice'?

Old 10-02-2021, 01:21 AM

23,175 posts, read 10,468,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
When you take your last breath, it may be that your existence ends?

But one thing is for sure, whatever happens to one, happens to all men.
I dont think I could agree, sin is neither here nor there to me, it's not about sinning, it's about building a house.
Some men do, and some dont.

Salvation is broad, but there's a big difference between salvation, and salvation with reward.

If I give up my stuff, and I sacrifice all my life, I am building so.something another man cannot obtain no matter how unfair he thinks it is, I go to work every day, and I work, and I dont build for another man to claim if he didnt build.

God is a merciful God, and he is a fair God.

Old 10-02-2021, 05:35 AM

614 posts, read 173,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I dont think I could agree, sin is neither here nor there to me, it's not about sinning, it's about building a house.
Some men do, and some dont.

Salvation is broad, but there's a big difference between salvation, and salvation with reward.

If I give up my stuff, and I sacrifice all my life, I am building so.something another man cannot obtain no matter how unfair he thinks it is, I go to work every day, and I work, and I dont build for another man to claim if he didnt build.

God is a merciful God, and he is a fair God.
Don't forget about the lesson of the parable of the workers. The owner of the field went about gathering men to work for him all day. Some he got in the morning. Some he got a little later, at mid-morning. Some at noon. Some after. At the end of the day, the owner paid the men he had hired last first. He paid them the same as he had promised those he had hired in the morning because that is what he had promised them to get them to work in the first place. Well, those he hired in the morning thought that meant he should pay them more. They were pretty shocked, even angry, when he paid them what he had promised them as well.

I think the difficult issue has to do with how we want to perceive of great concepts like equality. We can understand them, but we tend to always want a clause that make us, somehow, first among equals.

Last edited by Am I a Prophet; 10-02-2021 at 05:39 AM.. Reason: the writing process

Old 10-02-2021, 07:15 AM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
As it is written (Romans 3:10), there is none righteous, no, not one. So, who is celebrating 'justice'?
That is a good perspective to have, but that Psalm that Paul is quoting is obvious hyperbole because Scripture describes multiple individuals as "righteous" including Noah and Joseph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity