Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2022, 07:27 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjGuru View Post
Your concept of election needs a refresh. May I offer you a better option than Augustine and/or Calvin? Here they are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3ZYrHdqaGM

I recommend that you focus on the views being expressed by Barth and Schleiermacher.

All are elect in the Elect One, Christ (Isa 42:1). And all are in Christ by means of creation (Col 1:16 and Acts 17:28). Therefore, all are elect in Christ.

It's really that simple.
But that does not make BrightFame think he is special in God's eyes so it is unacceptable to him!!! It takes a massively weak ego to think you have been specially selected by God and others have not. It is apparently the only way to bolster otherwise low self-esteem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2022, 08:21 AM

4,627 posts, read 1,170,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjGuru View Post
I was being honest with you, and I'm glad you feel that you're being honest with me. I don't feel defeated by your comments. Nor should you of mine. You're really not here to discuss what others think. And I think that rubs you the wrong way.
Yes Im being honest with you.

Old 09-05-2022, 03:13 PM

4,627 posts, read 1,170,418 times
Both election and reprobation took place before the creation of man.

Reprobation is that God predecided before the foundation of the world, to pass by sinners He didnt chose in Christ, and to justly punish them for their sins, and the elect, deserved the same.

God determined the end of all things from the beginning Isa 46:10

10 Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel/purpose shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:

Election and non election is according to Gods counsel or purpose Rom 9:11

For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth)

Old 09-05-2022, 03:27 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,837,092 times
God's election and predestination is according to foreknowledge, Romans 8:29-30, 1 Peter 1:2.

I would venture to say that it is foreknowledge of whether or not the person will call on the name of the Lord (Romans 10:13).

Old 09-05-2022, 06:31 PM

23,138 posts, read 10,434,069 times
God's 7000 elect remnant who wont involve themselves in paganism reserved in every generation isnt up for opinions of Gentiles, CERTAINLY NOT PAGAN CHRISTIANS.

The very definition of the elect of Israel are Israelis who wont involve themselves in paganism, THATS WHAT MAKES THEM THE ELECT.

Kings
Behold, there came a voice unto him, and said, What doest thou here, Elijah? 14And he said, I have been very jealous for the LORD God of hosts: because the children of Israel have forsaken thy covenant, thrown down thine altars, and slain thy prophets with the sword; and I, even I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away.

Yet I have left me seven thousand in Israel, all the knees which have not bowed unto Baal, and every mouth which hath not kissed him.

Romans

Speaking of God destroying Israel, NOT JUDAH

A Remnant of Israel

1I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin. 2God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew. Wot ye not what the scripture saith of Elias? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel, saying, 3Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life. 4But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to the image of Baal. 5Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace. 6And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

Elijah went against the kingdom of Israel, not Judah. John the Baptist was sent into Israel, not Judah. John offered a betrothal to Israelis, not Jews

Paul is explaining his own adoption into Judah by being an Israeli who rejected all involvement in Paganism. An Israeli who rejected the pagan Israeli religion and converted to Judaism as AN ELECT REMNANT OF ISRAEL.

Elijah had said, " Lord I am the only person left in the NORTHERN KINGDOM OF ISRAEL who is not involved in paganism. ISRAEL, THE DESOLATE HOUSE, THE LOST SHEEP OF ISRAEL WAS WHO JESUS CAME LOOKING FOR, NON JEWISH ISRAELIS, THE LOST SHEEP OF THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL, LOST FOR 700 YEARS.

Now pagan Christian are claiming to be the elect of Israel God reserved in every genertation who wouldnt involve themselves in Paganism.

You can't fool the Elect remnant, they are not involved in paganism, their worship system CAN NOT ORIGINATE FROM BAAL.

You cant have pagan Christian feasts and be the elect, their non involvement in paganism MAKES THEM THE ELECT.

Last edited by Hannibal Flavius; 09-05-2022 at 06:52 PM..

Old 09-05-2022, 06:51 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,175,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightfame52 View Post
Eph 1:4-7

4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,

6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;

Hence one of the blessings of election in Christ before the foundation of the world, it is that the chosen ones have been accepted of the Father, hence in a accepted justified state with God the Father; And this again before the foundation of the world, and before Faith in time. God is well pleased with their persons, according as He chose them in Christ before the foundation, and as Paul wrote to the Corinthian Church 1 Cor 1:30

30But of him [God the Father] are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
Elect is depicted as Older Brother in Prodigal Son Story.
"‘Son, you are always with me,’ the father said, ‘and all that is mine is yours."

Old 09-05-2022, 06:59 PM

23,138 posts, read 10,434,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Duval View Post
Elect is depicted as Older Brother in Prodigal Son Story.
"‘Son, you are always with me,’ the father said, ‘and all that is mine is yours."
No, the prodigal son and the son who stayed home are God's only 2 sons.

Jesus only told us the literal history of Israel and Judah, and EVERY ONE KNEW ISRAEL WOULD RETURN ONE DAY.

Israel had been lost for 700 years BECAUSE they rejected the law, they rejected Judaism from the very first king, and herding swine is THE VERY DEFINITION OF LAWLESSNESS..

Judah has never left God, the prodigal Israel left God 320 years before God ended their kingdom for lawlessness.

Old 09-05-2022, 07:20 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,837,092 times
Jer 3:6, The LORD said also unto me in the days of Josiah the king, Hast thou seen that which backsliding Israel hath done? she is gone up upon every high mountain and under every green tree, and there hath played the harlot.
Jer 3:7, And I said after she had done all these things, Turn thou unto me. But she returned not. And her treacherous sister Judah saw it.
Jer 3:8, And I saw, when for all the causes whereby backsliding Israel committed adultery I had put her away, and given her a bill of divorce; yet her treacherous sister Judah feared not, but went and played the harlot also.
Jer 3:9, And it came to pass through the lightness of her whoredom, that she defiled the land, and committed adultery with stones and with stocks.
Jer 3:10, And yet for all this her treacherous sister Judah hath not turned unto me with her whole heart, but feignedly, saith the LORD.

Jer 3:11, And the LORD said unto me, The backsliding Israel hath justified herself more than treacherous Judah.

Old 09-06-2022, 04:48 AM

923 posts, read 237,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
God's election and predestination is according to foreknowledge, Romans 8:29-30, 1 Peter 1:2.

I would venture to say that it is foreknowledge of whether or not the person will call on the name of the Lord (Romans 10:13).
Foreknew =

30.100 προβλέπομαιb; προγινώσκωb: to choose or select in advance of some other event—‘to choose beforehand, to select in advance.’

This means people do not determine their election. It would not be grace if they did. It would be rewarding the self-righteous.

Louw, J. P., & Nida, E. A. (1996). In Greek-English lexicon of the New Testament: based on semantic domains (electronic ed. of the 2nd edition., Vol. 1, p. 362). United Bible Societies.

Old 09-06-2022, 07:26 AM

3,573 posts, read 1,175,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1689dave View Post
Foreknew =

30.100 προβλέπομαιb; προγινώσκωb: to choose or select in advance of some other event—‘to choose beforehand, to select in advance.’

This means people do not determine their election. It would not be grace if they did. It would be rewarding the self-righteous.

Louw, J. P., & Nida, E. A. (1996). In Greek-English lexicon of the New Testament: based on semantic domains (electronic ed. of the 2nd edition., Vol. 1, p. 362). United Bible Societies.
Elect means spiritual, even Gnostics who are known, basicaly spiritually (like shamans ) present themselves in spirit where they may receive knowledge and even foreknowledge. That us why Paul tells Christians to train their senses (Heb.5). Elect examples are like Paul or Thimoty , Paul's hand picked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity