Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 09:16 PM

8,609 posts, read 10,140,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
Boston is an old city up north, one of the oldest, and so are it's suburbs. Trying to compare Boston to some sunbelt city that grew by leaps and bound in the two decades or so, is impossible! When Boston's streets and city was layed out, cars where not in mind, the same can't be said about the sunbelt ones. Look how narrow the streets of Pittsburgh and Philly are, same thing.
Please keep in mind that that is specifically the reason why many Sunbelt cities aren't like cities in the North.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 09:16 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-mind-State View Post
People using language cd's in there cars? AND THEY WORKED?
And yes actually I moved here this morning You think to much about LA while living in NYC then,you should give it a rest and enjoy the city instead of trying to pointlessly bash others. I sat in a great deal of traffic driving in the NYC area as well does that at all take away from the greatness of the city? not at all..you just have to know when to drive and how to get around the traffic. NYC and LA are two EXTREMELY different cities that actually work together very well in the real world,trolls like you try to make it seem different but in reality they are both great cities and you can't take anything away from them especially posting online.
Who said that 'if' you choose to drive in NYC that you won't sit in traffic? I sure didn't! Did you know that NYC uses the same gas consumption as 1920's America did? It's true! The BIG difference in NYC, you don't HAVE to DRIVE, I repeat, you don't HAVE TO!

You're down to insults?...lol lol lol Have fun in LA LA land.......

Old 03-31-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Please keep in mind that that is specifically the reason why many Sunbelt cities aren't like cities in the North.
That was cause of those city's elected officials and city planners! They did a dis-service to the quality of life by keep building outward, instead of upward. Gas, pollution, vibrancy, traffic, etc etc.

America's dependency on foreign oil keeps growing cause of places like the sunbelt cities.

Would the sun stop shining, or would the temps drop 'if' they would have built those places like they did up north? Would public transit cause a freeze of some sort?

Old 03-31-2009, 09:31 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,680,051 times
Quote:
Who said that 'if' you choose to drive in NYC that you won't sit in traffic? I sure didn't! Did you know that NYC uses the same gas consumption as 1920's America did? It's true! The BIG difference in NYC, you don't HAVE to DRIVE, I repeat, you don't HAVE TO!

You're down to insults?...lol lol lol Have fun in LA LA land.......
Insults? I never insulted you,and if I did somehow offend you I apologize,the internet is not as serious to me..but yes I realize you don't need a car and they are very good on gas because of that..but a common misconception about LA is that you need a car..there are plenty of people who live here for years without cars and are still able to walk to get grocery's,to entertainment and more..the public transit is not nearly as bad as you make it out to be. You're whole argument is based off of stereotypes..yes MOST PEOPLE in LA drive but you don't HAVE to,I repeat,you don't HAVE TO!
And "LA LA land" is indeed quite fun,so thank you I guess.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-mind-State View Post
Insults? I never insulted you,and if I did somehow offend you I apologize,the internet is not as serious to me..but yes I realize you don't need a car and they are very good on gas because of that..but a common misconception about LA is that you need a car..there are plenty of people who live here for years without cars and are still able to walk to get grocery's,to entertainment and more..the public transit is not nearly as bad as you make it out to be. You're whole argument is based off of stereotypes..yes MOST PEOPLE in LA drive but you don't HAVE to,I repeat,you don't HAVE TO!
My man......... There are people who live in LA without a car, they're called POOR! Wait a minute, the "40 Year Old Virgin" didn't have one either... I've been to LA, public transit is an after thought there.

Unless you are "poor" or don't enjoy getting "laid", you will NEED a car in LA!

Old 03-31-2009, 09:38 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,489,819 times
Quote:
My man......... There are people who live in LA without a car, they're called POOR! Wait a minute, the "40 Year Old Virgin" didn't have one either... I've been to LA, public transit is an after thought there.

LOL

This is one of the funniest post ever in the history of citydata

Old 03-31-2009, 09:45 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,108,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post

Boston Metro = 7,476,689
Dallas Metro = 6,498,410

Boston = 608,352
Dallas = 1,240,499

It depends on what you are comparing. Metro or city?

Also, Dallas is a sprawl and Boston is not!

Dallas has 30 buildings at 400 ft
Boston has 26 buildings at 400 ft

So they are similar in height. However, as far as density goes (buildings under 400 ft) Boston kills Dallas.

IMO, their are three things holding Dallas back from being on boston's level

A. Dallas is not dense. It is a sprawl
B. Dallas does not have good transit and boston does
C. Dallas lacks food options/walkable neighborhoods/culture.

Boston CSA metro includes Providence, RI and Concord, New Hampshire, equals 7 million but metro Boston is in the 4 million range. Next time i'm in Providence I will look for a welcome to Boston sign, yea sure. They may be close but have their own identity compared with cities in the Dallas region.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:58 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,680,051 times
Quote:

LOL that made laugh actually,good stuff.
There might be some truth to that,but it's not a complete truth.
Anyways Idk if you don't like LA or not but I get tired of the back and forths after a while it seems some people enjoy it more than I do so instead of trying to argue since you have your thoughts and opinions and I have mine I'll just say LA and NY are both amazing cities in different ways..
NY wasn't where I would want to live my whole life because when I live in a city like NY or SF I have to be right downtown in the middle of it all and I don't see myself raising kids in Manhattan maybe downtown SF and more than likely not LA unless it's a little different by the time I have kids and I would want to be on the coast anyways.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:17 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,946,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
Below is a quick list of cities that were grouped with other cities that I feel are on the same level.

In bold is a list of cities that in my opinion have Napoleon Complex displayed on cd.

The people in these cities need to stop puffing out their chest to compete with cities higher than them because members can see through it and it gets old!!!

I am sure people are going to argue what group some cities should go into. But, my point is to let the people know what cities display the Napoleon Complex!

Does anyone agree or feel differently?

GROUP 1

New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco

GROUP 2

DC/Baltimore, Boston, Philly

GROUP 3

Miami, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Seattle

GROUP 4

Denver, Charlotte, San Antonio, Raleigh, Austin, Phoenix, Minneapolis, San Diego, Tampa, Portland

GROUP 5

Jacksonville, Knoxville
Huh? Knoxville is in the same level as Jacksonville? According to whom? I've never said that Knoxville is anything but a "little burg" and I know of no one else here at c-d who has ever claimed that Knoxville is more important than it really is. If Jacksonville is in your so-called "Group 5" then Knoxville would be in Group 6.

And looking at the rest of your list, it looks like you're just trying to start yet another thread where people from the Northeast can feel superior to people in Sunbelt boom towns.

I love Boston and wouldn't mind living there. But just because it's older and has narrow streets and more walkable neighborhoods doesn't mean it's more "important" than Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, or Miami.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:19 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Ya, and I guess spending half your life in traffic is better than a city that provides extensive public transit?....
New Yorkers spend more time commuting than Angeleno's as they have the longest average commutes in the nation. Apparently that subway is not any faster than sitting in LA's traffic. I like public transit but just wanted to point out Angeleno's don't spend any more time in traffic commuting than New Yorkers do on the subway.

US Census Press Releases (http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/american_community_survey_acs/001695.html - broken link)
Quote:
Does extremely "dense" take a back seat to extremely "sprawled"?..
To some people yes. To each their own, not everyone wants the same thing as you. I don't get why that is so hard for some people to understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City