Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2009, 10:06 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,360,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Obviously the OP had an agenda to start with. If you notice, none of the cities in bold are northern cities. They're all Sunbelt cities. In reference to the "groupings", I doubt he's been to every one of those cities to make that assessment (comparison).

IMO, the Sunbelt city pride being thrown around by some posters is far surpassed by arrogance and ignorance from other posters living in some of those Northern "elitist" cities.
Thanks, AZliam.

I have just started calling them the "older & colder" cities - it fits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 10:49 AM

165 posts, read 605,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
New York city is dwarfed by many cities, and as to whether or not it is the best city in the world is a matter of opinion. Thus, since all I see from New Yorkers on this forum is how they're far and away the best in the world, that seems to be a bit like Napoleon syndrome.
name 'many cities' that have dwarfed NYC (not just in size)

Old 04-01-2009, 11:03 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
LOL. Keep dreaming.

The reason why this thread was started is because of comments like the one above
Keep Dreaming??? Why are those cities higher than the sunbelt cities than?? and please spare us about the whole density/history crap.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:51 AM

475 posts, read 684,739 times
Quote:
It is one of the top 5 cities in the world hands down.... if not the best
But you NY fans do realize that it's not the "top" or "best" for everyone, don't you? I don't seem to get that from this board.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:26 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,455,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ire2usa View Post
Yea I was wondering about that a bit myself...the only city I can think of that's considerably bigger than NYC would be Tokyo.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:30 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,490,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
But you NY fans do realize that it's not the "top" or "best" for everyone, don't you? I don't seem to get that from this board.
First off, growing up I lived all over the U.S. I have lived in the west coast, north, new south and deep south. So, I am not a NYer because I have never lived there

I know that NYC is not the top or best place for everyone to live. A lot of people would not like to live there because its expensive, crowded and cold. However, those people need to realize that it is on another level over other cities in the U.S. It is the only city in the U.S. that will be mentioned in a conversation when discussing what cities are the best in the world

Also, just because I ranked cities ahead of another does not mean i like it better.

Ex) I listed the DC/Baltimore area in group 2 ahead of Miami, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta and Seattle.

However, I hate Wash DC/Baltimore metro area with a passion. I would rather live in Miami, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta or Seattle any day over DC/Baltimore.

But, I gave the city its due because it is the 4th largest metro in the U.S., excellent transit, diversity, restaurants, tons of things to do, etc, etc, etc.

Same with NYC. You might not like it, but you know that it is one of the top 5 cities in the world if not the best.

One of the main reasons why NYers on this forum act the way they do is because they have posters comparing it to Atlanta, Seattle, San Diego, etc

I am sure a lot of people would rather live in those places listed above over NYC, but for someone to think they are on the same level as NYC is insane

Old 04-01-2009, 12:43 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,346,364 times
York > New York

I hate remakes.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:45 PM

8,610 posts, read 10,142,271 times
Quote:
First off, growing up I lived all over the U.S. I have lived in the west coast, north, new south and deep south. So, I am not a NYer because I have never lived there

I know that NYC is not the top or best place for everyone to live. A lot of people would not like to live there because its expensive, crowded and cold. However, those people need to realize that it is on another level over other cities in the U.S. It is the only city in the U.S. that will be mentioned in a conversation when discussing what cities are the best in the world

Also, just because I ranked cities ahead of another does not mean i like it better.

Ex) I listed the DC/Baltimore area in group 2 ahead of Miami, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta and Seattle.

However, I hate Wash DC/Baltimore metro area with a passion. I would rather live in Miami, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta or Seattle any day over DC/Baltimore.

But, I gave the city its due because it is the 4th largest metro in the U.S., excellent transit, diversity, restaurants, tons of things to do, etc, etc, etc.

Same with NYC. You might not like it, but you know that it is one of the top 5 cities in the world if not the best.

One of the main reasons why NYers on this forum act the way they do is because they have posters comparing it to Atlanta, Seattle, San Diego, etc

I am sure a lot of people would rather live in those places listed above over NYC, but for someone to think they are on the same level as NYC is insane

Frankly, I could care less what is "best" for everyone, or whether New Yorkers approve of where I live when I am more concerned about what is best for me. I'd have to believe a lot of others agree. Some peoples' goldmines do not revolve around their city cores, but their friends and life experiences. I believe that "trumps" what you are saying (no NY pun intended).

Old 04-01-2009, 12:46 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,190,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ire2usa View Post
I was referring to size. Hence the term "dwarfed". By city proper: Tokyo, Jakarta, Seoul, Mumbai, Sao Paulo, Mexico City, Delhi, Shanghai, Moscow, Beijing, Guangzhou, Karachi, and Chongquing are all bigger than New York.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:05 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Quote:
Then explain this statement:
Quote:
I have lived in SC my whole life.
Quote:
I don't recall anyone ever comparing San Diego to be on the same level as NYC as well as any other cities. We all know NYC is in a league of its own but that doesn't mean certain aspects of it can't be compared to other cities.

Some of the NYers on here seem to need everyone to believe there city is the best at everything, which it is not. For some of them it's like everything about any city has to be compared to NY. For example, in the light rail thread there is a NYer bringing up NYC comparing its subway system to these light rail systems for god knows what reason. In the thread about What city has the best medical facilities, a NY poster couldn't stand Houston winning that poll b/c in their mind NY should be #1. So maybe if some NY fanboys didn't try to compare every city to NYC then you wouldn't see so many comparisons to it, it's a two way street here.

It seems to bother some people that others are very happy with their sunbelt cities and they feel like they shouldn't be b/c its not like NYC or the "older and colder" cities. I have no connection or bias towards the Northeast or South, but it really does seem Sunbelt cities get the brunt of negative comments directed at them by people who favor more urban Northern cities. It just gets really old after a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City