Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2009, 01:20 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
I was referring to size. Hence the term "dwarfed". By city proper: Tokyo, Jakarta, Seoul, Mumbai, Sao Paulo, Mexico City, Delhi, Shanghai, Moscow, Beijing, Guangzhou, Karachi, and Chongquing are all bigger than New York.
gotta love Jakarta's skyline

http://www.aibc.com.au/images/jakartaskyline_jakarta.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 01:27 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
I was referring to size. Hence the term "dwarfed". By city proper: Tokyo, Jakarta, Seoul, Mumbai, Sao Paulo, Mexico City, Delhi, Shanghai, Moscow, Beijing, Guangzhou, Karachi, and Chongquing are all bigger.
Many of those cities do feel bigger than New York as well.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:31 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Then explain this statement:

I don't recall anyone ever comparing San Diego to be on the same level as NYC as well as any other cities. We all know NYC is in a league of its own but that doesn't mean certain aspects of it can't be compared to other cities.

Some of the NYers on here seem to need everyone to believe there city is the best at everything, which it is not. For some of them it's like everything about any city has to be compared to NY. For example, in the light rail thread there is a NYer bringing up NYC comparing its subway system to these light rail systems for god knows what reason. In the thread about What city has the best medical facilities, a NY poster couldn't stand Houston winning that poll b/c in their mind NY should be #1. So maybe if some NY fanboys didn't try to compare every city to NYC then you wouldn't see so many comparisons to it, it's a two way street here.

It seems to bother some people that others are very happy with their sunbelt cities and they feel like they shouldn't be b/c its not like NYC or the "older and colder" cities. I have no connection or bias towards the Northeast or South, but it really does seem Sunbelt cities get the brunt of negative comments directed at them by people who favor more urban Northern cities. It just gets really old after a while.
I agree 100%. NYC is awesome and unparalleled in many ways in the US, without a doubt. How many times to we have to praise it in order for anywhere else to be spoken of in a positive manner without all the douchey "your place sucks b/c NY does this better" comments? I love NYC but I hate that attitude. I'm glad I don't come across it very much when I'm visiting. If I did I'd never go there again.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:14 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
How can you agree when you haven't been to Dallas, Houston and Atlanta?

You are simply agreeing with what you "think" is another put-down to the Sunbelt cities, right?

I'm basing it on the people on CD. I could be wrong when it comes to most of the residents, but based on the posters on CD, these cities have a napleon complex. And for the 20584th time, I have been to Atlanta many times.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:12 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,489,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Then explain this statement:

I don't recall anyone ever comparing San Diego to be on the same level as NYC as well as any other cities. We all know NYC is in a league of its own but that doesn't mean certain aspects of it can't be compared to other cities.

Some of the NYers on here seem to need everyone to believe there city is the best at everything, which it is not. For some of them it's like everything about any city has to be compared to NY. For example, in the light rail thread there is a NYer bringing up NYC comparing its subway system to these light rail systems for god knows what reason. In the thread about What city has the best medical facilities, a NY poster couldn't stand Houston winning that poll b/c in their mind NY should be #1. So maybe if some NY fanboys didn't try to compare every city to NYC then you wouldn't see so many comparisons to it, it's a two way street here.

It seems to bother some people that others are very happy with their sunbelt cities and they feel like they shouldn't be b/c its not like NYC or the "older and colder" cities. I have no connection or bias towards the Northeast or South, but it really does seem Sunbelt cities get the brunt of negative comments directed at them by people who favor more urban Northern cities. It just gets really old after a while.
I would love to explain that statement. I am 25 yrs old

For the first 14 yrs of my life I bounced around the phoenix, dallas and philly burbs because of my parents jobs.

For the past 11 years of my life I have lived in Charleston & Columbia South Carolina. So, let me rephrase my statement. I HAVE LIVED IN SC MY WHOLE ADULT LIFE.

As far as your paragraphs every city on this site gets bashed including nyc

Last edited by NYC1DAY; 04-01-2009 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 04-01-2009, 10:43 PM

252 posts, read 960,499 times
Portland has a major Napoleon Complex. It's the smallest major city on the west coast, and it's always lived in Seattle's (and even Vancouver's and San Francisco's) shadow. It's a great city, but it has definite inferiority issues.

I'd also add all of the largest cities in the south to this list: Houston, Dallas, Atlanta. Old resentments of large, more established Yankee cities die slowly.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:52 AM

23,452 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd.LA View Post
Portland has a major Napoleon Complex. It's the smallest major city on the west coast, and it's always lived in Seattle's (and even Vancouver's and San Francisco's) shadow. It's a great city, but it has definite inferiority issues.

I'd also add all of the largest cities in the south to this list: Houston, Dallas, Atlanta. Old resentments of large, more established Yankee cities die slowly.
Sigh, the myth continues.
Who are these people that 'resent' the cities in the North? I don't know any of them, and I'm an Atlanta native. You do realize that arguably the majority of the residents of these cities are from that region...why would they resent the region from which they came? Take some time to read the threads on this particular forum, and you'll who really harbors resentment for whom.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:47 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,122,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
I would love to explain that statement. I am 25 yrs old

For the first 14 yrs of my life I bounced around the phoenix, dallas and philly burbs because of my parents jobs.

For the past 11 years of my life I have lived in Charleston & Columbia South Carolina. So, let me rephrase my statement. I HAVE LIVED IN SC MY WHOLE ADULT LIFE.

As far as your paragraphs every city on this site gets bashed including nyc

So when have you lived in NYC?

Old 04-02-2009, 07:54 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,489,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
So when have you lived in NYC?
I have never lived in NYC, but I have never said that I have lived their either

That is probably the reason why my username is "nyc1day"

I just have many friends that live in the nyc metro and I visit them a lot

Old 04-02-2009, 02:29 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I'm basing it on the people on CD. I could be wrong when it comes to most of the residents, but based on the posters on CD, these cities have a napleon complex. And for the 20584th time, I have been to Atlanta many times.

Well, all I can say is that - along with a previous poster, I am SO glad that most residents of NYC don't display the HUGE Napolean complex in real life as you do here on the forum. I too would never dream of stepping foot in the City ever again if that were the case.

And I don't believe you have ever been to Atlanta. People that have actually been here don't make idiotic claims such as there is never any traffic, or that it gets rural as soon as you leave the City Limits.

If you have indeed been here, you must have had a bag over your head the entire time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City