Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best architecture
New York City 87 47.03%
Chicago 98 52.97%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 11:22 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,704,916 times

Advertisements

New York's skyline, If you say Chicago looks better than you must be on something lol

Old 05-27-2009, 11:23 PM

37,160 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiavoli View Post
Buddy, Manhattan had the "Ls" but put them undeground many years ago. Apparently, New Yorkers are not so great on denial and will not live in dust, noise and constant shade just because they feel this uncomfortable setup is unique. Underachieving? Chicago simply does not have the money to put the L's underground. You are stuck with this XIX century technology forever
Apparently Manhattan either didn't have enough money or enough will to make good by you--you ever see the west side of upper manhattan? You know, the place where Manhattan's elevated line is? Of course, we should also tacitly ignore the elevated lines in the rest of NYC and just go straight for Manhattan.

Both cities need to do some serious upkeep on their elevated lines. They suck because people lack the political will to keep up a good thing.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:26 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,094,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
Don't believe me? Watch Spider-Man 2. That's certainly not New York in that elevated train scene. Chicago had to step in for the underachieving Big Apple.
Its post like these that undermine everything u say. Wasnt u just making a case for peace two pages back? Than u come with this lol

Old 05-27-2009, 11:30 PM

467 posts, read 874,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Which is why the city needs to find funding to refurbish them. NYC (Manhattan included) still runs elevated lines,
Not in the most denseley populated areas of lower, midtown and upper Manhattan. Not in the CBD!

Quote:
and it's true that they need to be renovated as well. However, this isn't the same thing as Ls being a bad idea in general--they can and are being done well.

No, L's over busy streets of the CBD as in Chicago is a bad idea. Elevated lines will alwaysl block the sun and pollute the environment with dust and noise. Elevated lines may be good in the suburbs or in low density areas where it is simply not economically feasible to dig subway tunnels. That's it.

Quote:
Especially since London (a city that's acceptably modern to you), the Hague/Rotterdam, Singapore, Taipei, and others are there to prove you wrong. You misspoke, that's all. You've made some good points before, but you were wrong when you tried to generalize.
Like I said, elevated lines are good as commuter lines or in less densely populated areas and not directly in the CBD like in Chicago. That's why London has the Tube.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:31 PM

341 posts, read 452,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californialove24 View Post
does he anger you?

LOL. No, people like that, that aren't even from NYC, mostly amuse me.

He should change his name from (lamexican) to (NYerWannabe) or perhaps (NYCGroupie) would do. I think he would be happier with those.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:34 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,704,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc3 View Post

He should change his name from (lamexican) to (NYerWannabe) or perhaps (NYCGroupie) would do. I think he would be happier with those.
Nice try but lamexican is from manhattan. in case you did not know NY is winning on the poll.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:36 PM

341 posts, read 452,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Nice try but lamexican is from manhattan.

LOL yup...I bet he is

Old 05-27-2009, 11:39 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,094,790 times
Quote:
never encountered so many ignorant responses from people in one city than I have New York City. Are there some brain cells missing? NYC residents are constantly bickering like idiotic children saying" My city is better than yours...My city is the biggest and the best..and blah blah blah". When people act like that, it shows a lack of confidence and insecurity in general.
Its not even about that. We are insecure about nothing. Maybe in a persons personal life or what have you. But what that gotta do with this. We talking bout cities. And we not about to sit here and entertain somebody sayig their city is better than ours when we know its not. You insult my intelligence. Im not about to be fed bull.... In order to beat new york u gotta come hard. New york worked hard to get to where its at. This a young city, it passed cities thousands of years older than it. U gotta go hard or go home and ya chicago dudes is going home, on the short bus. F.c. oudda here. Straight like that new york is chicagos daddy in all categories. Im mad we as new yorkers is even entertaining this.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:45 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,850,341 times
Quote:

Lol..... You can call me names all you want, but you seem to have issues in general with NYC and its people. Im Nyer enough to pick you out immediately. I've lived here for years. I'm originally fron Cali and have a plenty of love for Cali as well and I'm a huge Laker fan. I don't see the point you're trying to make but oh well. I love my city, its people, and all it has to offer. You don't have any understanding of this city or its people and thats why you don't understand the love we have for it and pride we feel for being Nyers. You kind of had to be here in the old days (pre Guilianni) to understand why that is. Its funny you trying to call me a wannabe as I don't hide where I came from in my user name. Its you being a fraud and pretending to be something you're not. So go play your little violin.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:48 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
ATTENTION CHICAGO POSTERS: Just because someone doesn't suck Chicago's dick doesn't make them Dementor.
If it walks, talks, sounds, acts, belches and farts like a duck, it's a duck. To wit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Once you leave downtown, Loop, Rush and Oak there is not much to really look at and all those cookie-cutter condos erected in the past ten years do not help a lot, other than they replaced even uglier bungalows.
Quote:
Most of Chicago is covered with ugly bungalows and the new condos are not anything I would call architecture. . . . I am talking about Chicago outside of the Loop.
Quote:
At first Chicago may come across as decent, nice city but in a while, especially when you venture outside of the Loop and downtown, you simply start seeing all the shortcomings and they start shaping or change your perception of the city.
Quote:
You do realize that you post is offensive and violates sevarl points of the TOS?
Quote:
Your post is offensive and grossly off-topic.
Quote:
Northwestern journalism? I heard so much about yet it is hard to believe you can have a good journalism schools withouth having any sersious journalism in the area.
Quote:
[Re: Northwestern's journalism school:] Strange, supposedly great journalism school and a lack of nationally/internationally significant media outlets.
Quote:
In a typical Midwestern manner...
Quote:
Typical Midwestern idiosyncrasy.
Quote:
That's the problem. Chicago is very isolationist. Very parochial..
Quote:
Why is Chicago media so parochial?
Quote:
Aesthethically too, but the elevated lines in Manhattan provided noise, dust and blocked the sun.
Quote:
Manhattan had the L and "vertical layers" long time ago but as every modern city on the planet confined the trains to its underbelly where they belong. The L's brings dust, noise and block the sun making streets underneath less attractive.
Same tactics, same rhetoric, same complaints, same writing style, same vocabulary, same everything. Not every Chicago troll is dementor. This one obviously is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City